Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Way to Travel with Photo Gear

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 8:39 PM

ThinkTank make a suite of bags that are getting an increasing following. I think it is the Airoport model that has a bass section that can be part of a bigger backpack or can swing round as a waist belt.
I've only seen them in shops and not used them muself but if i ever wanted an alternative to LowePro that range would be it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2012 - 8:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315377 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 8:55 PM

Leave your camera bags at home, they add to much weight and bulk, and can make your a target.

Get yourself a plain shoulder bag (none photographic)

And wrap your camera and lenses in neopreme for travel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-CSLR-50-Neoprene-Stretchy-Camera/dp/B005NBU6G4/re...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Pro-Protective-Neoprene-Lenses/dp/B0054KBE10/ref=...

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 9:03 PM

I buy the neoprene tablet cases from Poundland and wrap my lenses in them Smile One day I'll adapt them a bit but for now they work nicely.

WeeGeordieLass
WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2339 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
16 Dec 2012 - 9:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your great ideas................Very special thanks to Alison, who has been very kind to me offering me her Lowepro bag.

I've now got myself organised with a bag for carrying my gear on my trip - one less thing to sort out!

Cheers everyone.

Elaine

THIRTYFIVEMILL
16 Dec 2012 - 10:33 PM

Quote: Leave your camera bags at home, they add to much weight and bulk, and can make your a target.

Get yourself a plain shoulder bag (none photographic)

And wrap your camera and lenses in neopreme for travel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-CSLR-50-Neoprene-Stretchy-Camera/dp/B005NBU6G4/re...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Active-Pro-Protective-Neoprene-Lenses/dp/B0054KBE10/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355690928&sr=1-1

Agree with this 100%. I spent 20 years on the road abroad and ditched my rucksack in the first two months. Plain sports bag, as little as possible in it and camera gear wrapped and sealed within. You'd be surprised at what you don't need on a trip like that. Brutally leave anything you can at home and you'll be glad all day every day of your trip for every kilo you ditched.

Last Modified By THIRTYFIVEMILL at 16 Dec 2012 - 10:34 PM
Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 - 11:59 AM

I went to India a couple of years back. No way would I take a rucksack round all day -too much bulk and it'll be warm out there - it wouldn't be fun carrying a rucksack round in the heat!

I took a shoulder bag -"Urban Disguise 20" - see here:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=urban+disguise+20&hl=en&tbo=d&sour...

I like a shoulder bag - it's easy to pop the camera in and out when you see something that is interesting.
I also have a slightly larger version of that bag - I wouldn't take it to India as it's a bit too big- but what it does have is some loops on the bottom, which when attached to their optional shoulder harness - turn it into a backpack. While I said I wouldn't carry around a backpack -there are a few times it would be handy to not have the shoulder bag on my arm (such as climbing a hill) and I wish that the smaller bag had the fittings for the shoulder harness.

I'd not buy cards out there - I'm not sure they'd be cheaper - and could be fakes - this will give you hassle later on.
Id buy a whole load of smaller cards and spread them out between your bags - so of you loose one bag you don't loose all the images.
Take spare batteries too.
A small tripod so you can do long exposure shots - Ultrapod 2 is my favourite. http://www.industrialrev.com/ultrapod-ii.html
I'd also take a cheap compact camera - as a backup should you loose/break your SLR and also there are some situations where you might not really be able to take a photo with a SLR or where they say 'no photography' but with a small compact you won't be noticed in the same way. Less intrusive.
You'll also find this site helpful http://www.indiamike.com/india/

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2012 - 1:27 PM

Camera insurance, waterproof inner bags - but watch for condensation, and non descrip camera bags - i've often put a sturdy camera bag inside a cheap looking bag for more security, even made my own foam inserts for another non camera bag I had.
Some people take many SD cards and send back copies as they go along in case some get lost in the post or other's get nicked later.
I'd take a sensor cleaner etc too for such a long trip.

WeeGeordieLass
16 Jan 2013 - 7:32 PM

I wanted to pop back to this thread and thank everyone for taking time to offer me all of this great advice on choosing a bag.

Well, it's been a whole month of head-scratching, but eventually I've got myself sorted after thinking long and hard and taking everyone's opinions into consideration.

Special thanks to Alison (Cattyal), who offered to give me her great Lowepro camera rucksack which I gratefully accepted, only to be told by my husband that he'd bought me a camera rucksack for Christmas. Thankfully I managed to let Alison know in time to save her the effort of posting her Lowepro all the way up to Blackpool. It was very kind of you Alison, and your offer was much appreciated.

So after testing my new camera rucksack's ease of use -v- a normal shoulder bag's ease of use I've plumped for a shoulder bag. After a trial run, in my house, of getting my camera out of each type of bag, shooting and putting it back in again repeatedly, I totally get why a shoulder bag was recommended.

So, I've bought a non-camera shoulder bag from a company called "Pacsafe" - it has anti-tamper lockable zippers and wire exomesh inside and on the shoulder strap to make it slash-proof...........oh and I've bought some black neoprane camera and lens protectors. I decided against the grey ones...........check out my blog on the subject to find out why http://www.ageordieuptheganges.com/nut-case/ ......very dubious shape for a lady to be walking around India with!!!

If anyone's interested my blog "A Geordie Up The Ganges" can be found at www.ageordieuptheganges.com. It's only just over two weeks to go now and I'm extremely excited and nervous at the same time......

Cheers for reading my post and helping me out everyone.
Elaine x

mikehit
mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 8:28 PM

If you are interested, google 'camera bag inserts' and you will find the sort of compartmentalised holders that you will find in a standard bag.Rather than wrap around you can just slot the item in and it is quicker to take out.

WeeGeordieLass
16 Jan 2013 - 9:34 PM

That sounds interesting Mike.......I'll check it out thanks
Cheers
Elaine

MichaelMelb_AU
16 Jan 2013 - 9:48 PM

If you did not do it yet - do not forget to buy some small silica gel sachets. Humidity may be an optics killer in hot humid climate.

WeeGeordieLass
16 Jan 2013 - 9:53 PM

Hi Michael,

That's great advice......I didn't know about that - thanks very much, will defo get some of those.

Elaine

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.