Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Better Cameras DO Take Better Photographs

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
21 May 2012 12:03PM
I do think many of us tend to take up positions at the extreme ends of the argument, when reality often sits somewhere between those extremes.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

phil1963 e2
2 265 United Kingdom
21 May 2012 12:17PM
My thought on this (if anyone caresTongue) maybe the reason why people think that better cameras make better photographers is that most people gain experience of taking photographs on "entry level" cameras before investing in "high end" cameras,therefore think its the camera and not the experience that make the better image.If that makes sense.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
21 May 2012 12:45PM

Quote:most people gain experience of taking photographs on "entry level" cameras

Mine was a Vest Pocket Kodak, probably the B model, http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vest_Pocket_Kodak
It's an experience alright, but I do think an upgrade helps Smile
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 May 2012 1:00PM
I learnt on a Hasselblad - it took me years to get anything like on a Zenit
Wink
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
21 May 2012 1:04PM
Interesting point Jools, if ever the camera got this good - would "it" own the copyright?

Quote:Ho-hum. Better cameras can produce technically better images but you still have to practice hard if you want to move beyond seeing the obvious shots. Actually, I'm sure the next big 'advance' will be a geotagged in-camera database of shooting information, along the lines of "You appear to be on Rannoch Moor. That pretty mountain in front of you will make a nice shot, especially if you include the river as foreground interest. I suggest moving three paces to the left and two forwards. 1" at f16 will blur the water nicely and don't forget to use a tripod".
Don't laugh. It's all perfectly feasible.

I think there is 2 or 3 dimensions to the "photographer" here too - somewhat touched on above:
- Artistic eye
- Shooting Experience
- Photoshop experience

If we can all improve by standing on the shoulder's of giants, then choosing the right giant is in itself a skill as well.

As I get better I can see more of my mistakes and recognise the what i need to do to fix them - is it me, the tool or the use of the tool.
User_Removed 4 48 1 United Kingdom
21 May 2012 1:09PM
Should you be called photographer's or techy's, because 90% of photo's today comprise of lie's produced by photoshop.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
21 May 2012 1:11PM

Quote:because 90% of photo's today comprise of lie's produced by photoshop.

LOL...... we all live in the matrix world as well....LOL
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
21 May 2012 1:12PM

Quote:Should you be called photographer's or techy's, because 90% of photo's today comprise of lie's produced by photoshop.

Photoshopper? Smile
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 May 2012 1:23PM

Quote:Should you be called photographer's or techy's, because 90% of photo's today comprise of lie's produced by photoshop.

Traditional?
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
21 May 2012 1:24PM

I guess in the old film days photographers were chemists then whilst today they are techys Wink
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
21 May 2012 1:29PM
I watched a traditional photographer recently light painting his still life subject, a few minutes of exposure with the torch highlighting some areas and ignoring others with the beam - the finished picture looked amazing, actually much better than the set-up on the table.
He did his dodge and burning directly in the shot - traditional approach learnt when using film.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 May 2012 1:43PM
I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
scrimmy e2
6 379 5 Scotland
21 May 2012 1:50PM
so do I, first had it in San Francisco while on holiday, next time was on the Isle of Skye, it travels well Tongue
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 May 2012 1:53PM
IN fact, they do a lot of great beers - we get them in Leeds' North Bar - for about 5 a bottle though Sad
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
21 May 2012 1:59PM
Tog/Kit....a question of balance...seldom found in threads of this type...for me a good photographer will produce good images despite the shortcomings of his available kit...a poor photographer may get lucky with a superior camera but will invariably produce poor images until he/she learns to use said kit and see or plan good images...a question of balance.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.