Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Beware the win an iPhone Poll!!!

20 Mar 2013 9:41AM
BEWARE! If you take the poll with the offer of winning an iPhone or tablet you will be charged 4.50. It is a bit of a scam as far as I'm concerned as when you go through the procedure you are asked to select which you would like, then enter your mobile number. Then you are asked to answer OK to 81002 to be in the draw. As soon as you do that you are charged 4.50 off your balance and you have to then text STOP to be removed from a weekly charge of 4.50. Needless to say I did that but I am now 4.50 out of pocket!
I have mailed ePhotozine as I am surprised they sanction this sort of ripoff!

Note from Moderator:
The problem appeared to be a browser add-on called 'Yontoo' installed on the user's computer. See problem explained and how to fix.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 9:44AM
Which poll is this? Where did you find it?
20 Mar 2013 12:56PM
With regard to anything on the web, or indeed elsewhere, If it looks too good to be true, it is!
20 Mar 2013 2:07PM
you dont get out for nowt dont even look Smile
20 Mar 2013 2:08PM

Quote:With regard to anything on the web, or indeed elsewhere, If it looks too good to be true, it is!

Thats about as useful as a chocolate fire guard! If a poll about a site, supposidly put there by the site, on a reputable site like this then one would hope you could trust the site and it was genuine, especially as the poll was about ePhotozine!Tongue
20 Mar 2013 2:09PM

Quote:Which poll is this? Where did you find it?

I have received an email from David Burleson on this subject and have passed him all the facts so hopefully you guys can find out where it's coming from.
20 Mar 2013 2:51PM

Quote:With regard to anything on the web, or indeed elsewhere, If it looks too good to be true, it is!

Thats about as useful as a chocolate fire guard! If a poll about a site, supposidly put there by the site, on a reputable site like this then one would hope you could trust the site and it was genuine, especially as the poll was about ePhotozine!Tongue

You are being very naive. There is never anything resembling a free lunch anywhere, I don't care whether it is suffixed .epz or .gov.uk. We should all know better! Any offer or competition or freeby you see, at some point they will want your money. You have been caught this time. You are not the first, neither will you be the last. Treat EVERYTHING with suspicion.
20 Mar 2013 2:57PM
When ePhotozine ask you to take a quick survey with the chance to win an iPhone 5, why would one be suspicious? I have been a member here for years, taken surveys before (in fact there is one running at the top of this page right now for free e2 membership) and never had this sort of thing happen before.
Yes I have been "had" for 4.50 by "trusting" one of my favourite websites!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Mar 2013 3:11PM
What's the bet that it was a random google generated advert although the recent videoblox offer was the same deal - give us your details and then we take the cash unless you cancel.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 3:22PM
Cheddar, I totally understand , recently I had to let the team know of something simuler that appeared on here, very clever worded to draw you in, I don't believe epz see all the adverts that appear on the feeds so rely on us to let them know.
As pointed out above it could be a cookie feed that is targeting your Ip. Anyway thanks for the warning, hopefully you may have stopped someone falling for it unlike the cheerful critical ones that know everything and think us mere mortals are stupid.
It's those like you who put embarrassment aside to let others know that are helping.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Mar 2013 3:27PM

Quote:It's those like you who put embarrassment aside to let others know that are helping.

Well said - and thank you to Michael for posting this thread. Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Mar 2013 3:34PM
Thanks Michael I hope David is looking after you. Just to explain how the adverts work for anyone else who's concerned. We have a number of spaces allocated for advertising around the site. These are generally found to the top and to the right. The ePZ ad team, Tricia and Tracey, sell space to our advertisers and we vet everyone. Any spare slots are filled by our third party ad servers who monitor content. We also monitor their content and block anything we don't like. But spammy adverts can occasionally slip through the net. David will be able to advise if this has happened but it's very rare as there are tight controls over what is allowed.
20 Mar 2013 3:49PM
Hi Everyone,

As Michael mentioned, I've been working with him to get to the bottom of this problem and we have concluded that it's not something actually on ePHOTOzine. Instead, we believe it's a virus, ad ware, spyware or a dodgy browser plugin. The screenshot below shows what is occurring for Michael.

capture.jpg

Notice the orange text links. These are not put in by ePHOTOzine or any of our affiliates/ad networks. In fact, we never linked these words on our site. The offending software (whatever it may be) is scanning the webpages that Michael is browsing, picking out certain words and then linking them to other sites with popups when you move the mouse over them.

How to Fix:
In this case, it was easy to fix by going into Firefox's add-ons and removing the Yontoo add-on. Here is how to remove add-ons in Firefox:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Mar 2013 3:58PM
Another way these spammers are attacking people! They are so infuriating! I'd never heard of this approach before, that's very clever because it's hitting web site content which you think you know and trust. If anyone else has an linked words in orange let us know. You really do need to have your computers solidly protected with spyware, malware and virus protection. They'll reach you through dodgy web sites, emails and even just internet connections.
20 Mar 2013 4:01PM
Michael has found a browser add-on in firefox called Yontoo. A quick google finds that this matches all the criteria of the problem. For anyone with the same problem, here is a google search on how to remove Yontoo:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+remove+yontoo&aq=f&oq=how+to+remove+yontoo&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62.2907&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.