Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Beware the win an iPhone Poll!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cheddar-caveman
20 Mar 2013 - 9:41 AM

BEWARE! If you take the poll with the offer of winning an iPhone or tablet you will be charged 4.50. It is a bit of a scam as far as I'm concerned as when you go through the procedure you are asked to select which you would like, then enter your mobile number. Then you are asked to answer OK to 81002 to be in the draw. As soon as you do that you are charged 4.50 off your balance and you have to then text STOP to be removed from a weekly charge of 4.50. Needless to say I did that but I am now 4.50 out of pocket!
I have mailed ePhotozine as I am surprised they sanction this sort of ripoff!

Note from Moderator:
The problem appeared to be a browser add-on called 'Yontoo' installed on the user's computer. See problem explained and how to fix.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 20 Mar 2013 - 4:32 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Mar 2013 - 9:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 9:44 AM

Which poll is this? Where did you find it?

Newdevonian
20 Mar 2013 - 12:56 PM

With regard to anything on the web, or indeed elsewhere, If it looks too good to be true, it is!

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 20 Mar 2013 - 12:57 PM
robthecamman
20 Mar 2013 - 2:07 PM

you dont get out for nowt dont even look Smile

cheddar-caveman
20 Mar 2013 - 2:08 PM

Quote: With regard to anything on the web, or indeed elsewhere, If it looks too good to be true, it is!

Thats about as useful as a chocolate fire guard! If a poll about a site, supposidly put there by the site, on a reputable site like this then one would hope you could trust the site and it was genuine, especially as the poll was about ePhotozine!Tongue

cheddar-caveman
20 Mar 2013 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Which poll is this? Where did you find it?

I have received an email from David Burleson on this subject and have passed him all the facts so hopefully you guys can find out where it's coming from.

Newdevonian
20 Mar 2013 - 2:51 PM

Quote: With regard to anything on the web, or indeed elsewhere, If it looks too good to be true, it is!

Thats about as useful as a chocolate fire guard! If a poll about a site, supposidly put there by the site, on a reputable site like this then one would hope you could trust the site and it was genuine, especially as the poll was about ePhotozine!Tongue

You are being very naive. There is never anything resembling a free lunch anywhere, I don't care whether it is suffixed .epz or .gov.uk. We should all know better! Any offer or competition or freeby you see, at some point they will want your money. You have been caught this time. You are not the first, neither will you be the last. Treat EVERYTHING with suspicion.

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 20 Mar 2013 - 2:54 PM
cheddar-caveman
20 Mar 2013 - 2:57 PM

When ePhotozine ask you to take a quick survey with the chance to win an iPhone 5, why would one be suspicious? I have been a member here for years, taken surveys before (in fact there is one running at the top of this page right now for free e2 membership) and never had this sort of thing happen before.
Yes I have been "had" for 4.50 by "trusting" one of my favourite websites!

keithh
keithh  1022760 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 3:11 PM

What's the bet that it was a random google generated advert although the recent videoblox offer was the same deal - give us your details and then we take the cash unless you cancel.

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 3:22 PM

Cheddar, I totally understand , recently I had to let the team know of something simuler that appeared on here, very clever worded to draw you in, I don't believe epz see all the adverts that appear on the feeds so rely on us to let them know.
As pointed out above it could be a cookie feed that is targeting your Ip. Anyway thanks for the warning, hopefully you may have stopped someone falling for it unlike the cheerful critical ones that know everything and think us mere mortals are stupid.
It's those like you who put embarrassment aside to let others know that are helping.

Last Modified By KevSB at 20 Mar 2013 - 3:23 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 3:27 PM

Quote: It's those like you who put embarrassment aside to let others know that are helping.

Well said - and thank you to Michael for posting this thread. Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 3:34 PM

Thanks Michael I hope David is looking after you. Just to explain how the adverts work for anyone else who's concerned. We have a number of spaces allocated for advertising around the site. These are generally found to the top and to the right. The ePZ ad team, Tricia and Tracey, sell space to our advertisers and we vet everyone. Any spare slots are filled by our third party ad servers who monitor content. We also monitor their content and block anything we don't like. But spammy adverts can occasionally slip through the net. David will be able to advise if this has happened but it's very rare as there are tight controls over what is allowed.

Last Modified By Pete at 20 Mar 2013 - 3:35 PM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 - 3:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

As Michael mentioned, I've been working with him to get to the bottom of this problem and we have concluded that it's not something actually on ePHOTOzine. Instead, we believe it's a virus, ad ware, spyware or a dodgy browser plugin. The screenshot below shows what is occurring for Michael.

capture.jpg

Notice the orange text links. These are not put in by ePHOTOzine or any of our affiliates/ad networks. In fact, we never linked these words on our site. The offending software (whatever it may be) is scanning the webpages that Michael is browsing, picking out certain words and then linking them to other sites with popups when you move the mouse over them.

How to Fix:
In this case, it was easy to fix by going into Firefox's add-ons and removing the Yontoo add-on. Here is how to remove add-ons in Firefox:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons

Last Modified By davidburleson at 20 Mar 2013 - 4:30 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2013 - 3:58 PM

Another way these spammers are attacking people! They are so infuriating! I'd never heard of this approach before, that's very clever because it's hitting web site content which you think you know and trust. If anyone else has an linked words in orange let us know. You really do need to have your computers solidly protected with spyware, malware and virus protection. They'll reach you through dodgy web sites, emails and even just internet connections.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 - 4:01 PM

Michael has found a browser add-on in firefox called Yontoo. A quick google finds that this matches all the criteria of the problem. For anyone with the same problem, here is a google search on how to remove Yontoo:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+remove+yontoo&aq=f&oq=how+to+re...

Last Modified By davidburleson at 20 Mar 2013 - 4:01 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.