Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Beware the win an iPhone Poll!!!


KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 4:02PM
If I was you cheddar, I would contact your Bank asp and have this payment stopped, and request a payback as I suspect this may be a scam, I got caught by one a few months ago, Zinnga. In that you had to pay 25 quid to cancel membership, but they keep Taking payments for months afterwards, In my case they only got 4 quid but the bank advised me to get rid of my card and apply for new one.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

20 Mar 2013 4:07PM
OK, the reason this has happened is that I run Firefox and from somewhere an add-on has attached itself to it. The add-on is called Yontoo 1.20.02. I have now disabled this "whatever it is" and although the survey still appears along the top of the ePhotozine page, there is no active link in it.

Beware Yontoo!

Oh the money was taken from my mobile so I have no way to claim it back (I don't think?)
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Mar 2013 4:11PM

Quote: and although the survey still appears along the top of the ePhotozine page, there is no active link in it.

The survey is created by us and totally safe. It has nothing to do with the spam links that are from your computer that only you saw.
It's worth downloading and running the free program Malwarebytes to make sure there's nothing else lurking
hobbs e2
10 1.2k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 4:15PM

Quote:OK, the reason this has happened is that I run Firefox and from somewhere an add-on has attached itself to it. The add-on is called Yontoo 1.20.02. I have now disabled this "whatever it is" and although the survey still appears along the top of the ePhotozine page, there is no active link in it.

Beware Yontoo!

Oh the money was taken from my mobile so I have no way to claim it back (I don't think?)



It is worth contacting your mobile provider and explaining the situation, they might be able to claim it back on your behalf, as well as blocking the number on their network going forward.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
20 Mar 2013 4:18PM
Perhaps this too technical for me Sad

But those orange links are within the epz created survey wording, so does this imply that somehow somebody has accessed epz and added the links ?
20 Mar 2013 4:18PM
Cheers hobbs - I'll give that a go but not holding my breath!Sad
20 Mar 2013 4:20PM

Quote:Perhaps this too technical for me Sad

But those orange links are within the epz created survey wording, so does this imply that somehow somebody has accessed epz and added the links ?



Too technical for me as well but yes, that's basically what "someone" did. They made some of the words into a hyperlink to another survey site where they take your money! Clever but very annoying!
20 Mar 2013 4:22PM

Quote:Perhaps this too technical for me Sad

But those orange links are within the epz created survey wording, so does this imply that somehow somebody has accessed epz and added the links ?



If your using firefox, you just need to go to the add-ons in firefox and remove Yontoo:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-or-remove-add-ons
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
20 Mar 2013 4:22PM

Quote:But those orange links are within the epz created survey wording, so does this imply that somehow somebody has accessed epz and added the links ?

No they've run a script on the affected computer to highlight words that they hope the user will click on. It's called the "text link virus". If they'd managed to get into our system everyone would be affected but we'd see it and eradicate rather sharpish!
20 Mar 2013 4:25PM
If it has done nothing else it's taught me how to throw away 4.50, take screen shots and remove malware from my computer. Cheap lesson? - possibly - more annoying!
hobbs e2
10 1.2k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 4:35PM

Quote:Cheers hobbs - I'll give that a go but not holding my breath!Sad


If you have any issues and are with Virgin Media let me know, I can see if I can have a chat with someone in our fraud team. Just PM me.
20 Mar 2013 4:43PM
Thanks again hobbs. Unfortunately I'm an Orange man!
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
20 Mar 2013 4:51PM

Quote:Thanks again hobbs. Unfortunately I'm an Orange man!

I hear rumours Ian Paisley uses Orange...
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 5:39PM
Its worth having a word with Orange, just to make sure they arent one of these scam phone text companies as well, the ones where they send you text and it costs you money each time - and not small amounts either?!
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
22 Mar 2013 1:44PM
I have just spotted this about Yontoo

But of course, you became aware of it first here on epz Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.