Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Big Normans Web Shop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 10:47 AM

Morning folks, just been doing a bit of surfing around on the net looking for a new lens which I'm after and come across this retailer Big Normans based in all places Gibraltar. I've never heard of them before, but they do seem to have a good reputation on TrustPilot, although how reliable that might be I've no idea? I was wondering if anyone on EPZ has used or even heard of them before and whether or not there are any nightmare stories of the company. I ask as there prices for what I want seem to be extremely competitive, but I don't want to risk spending what will be a large amount of money only for it to go up in smoke despite using a credit card to make a purchase.

Any advice or views would be most welcome......Cheers guys......Ade

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2012 - 10:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just been doing more research and it transpire they're also an Amazon Seller, which has given me a little more confidence......I know anything I buy would be classed as a grey import, but I can live with that as what I want shouldn't cause any problems anyway.....However as I said any experiences from fellow members would be read most interestingly...

Ade

Dave_E
Dave_E  6125 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jan 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've never dealt with Bignorm but I thought I'd read a ref. to them on here recently

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/purely-on-line-purchases-94578

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 11:31 AM

A previous request on here for same info

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/bignorman-93171

Last Modified By KevSB at 2 Jan 2012 - 11:31 AM
Ade_Osman
2 Jan 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hmmmm.....I read that thread and I know all about Simply Electronics and to give them a very wide berth. I've bought items in the past from DigitalRev in Hong Kong and never had any bother other than being charged import duty, which to there credit they reimbursed me very quickly. It's this Big Norm retailer which I'm really interested in as the item I want is some 350 cheaper the WEX, which when buying things on a budget represents a significant saving........

Ade

Ade_Osman
2 Jan 2012 - 11:40 AM

Cheers Kev......

Snapper
Snapper  93753 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 11:41 AM

A very quick look at the site seems to show Canon 7D and 600D cheaper than Camera Pricebuster for UK supply, but Nikon D7000 and D300S are actually more expensive so I think it'll depend what you are after.

KevSB
2 Jan 2012 - 12:21 PM

I was reading the updated feedback on here althrough the total score looks good at 4.5 stars, the Written feedback shows problems with delivery,packaging and broken items quite often.

Ade_Osman
2 Jan 2012 - 1:59 PM

I'm in two minds, on the one hand I can be here to accept delivery, so the courier leaving it on the doorstep shouldn't be a problem for me. The feedback, whilst not perfect, isn't too much cause for concern, I've seen a lot worse and they do seem to sort problems out relatively quickly........The money I'd save would enable me to buy something else I'm after at a different retailer. I'd be paying by credit card as I said, so I should have some protection if things do go pear shaped.........

I think I may give it a punt and hope for the best, although I have a week to think about as the funds are not quite available yet, it does sound very tempting though, despite normally getting my kit from WEX.........I wonder if I email WEX, they might price match it?

Oh decisions, decisions?????.........

Anyone else like to comment, I'd certainly value your views.......

Ade

Snapper
Snapper  93753 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 2:28 PM

It really depends what you're after Ade. If it's Canon gear I would suggest you contact Kerso first at kerso1123@msn.com and ask him for an up to date pricelist. The prices will be a bit less than the ones listed on his eBay pages and you'll get good references if you search for him on the site here.

Ade_Osman
2 Jan 2012 - 2:42 PM

Peter you're a diamond.....Kerso is knocking out the same lens for the same price!!!.....A much safer bet......I'm sorted!!!

Cheers mate!!!

Ade

megtyler
megtyler  2 United States
2 Jan 2012 - 3:01 PM

I've dealt with them. it's a 50% record. my first order was delivered fine (lenses). the second order was just hell considering it was a smaller item, it arrived late and the item was broken.

Snaper is right, Canon is cheaper there but Nikon is more expensive. I still would suggest you check out other sites but rest assured it is a "legitimate site".

Here is another site i order from, you might want to check it out.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62489 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
3 Jan 2012 - 9:53 AM

The company is not based in the EEC - so on receipt there is VAT due on cameras and VAT plus import duty (total about 27%) on lenses.
The terms and conditions mentions they source goods from anywhere in the world - so mainly grey, possibly no UK instructions, and maybe an illegal to sell in EEC digital camera battery charger. Some items seem warranted by the company, not the manufacture, and there is no Sales of Goods or Distance Selling Regulations legislation protection for UK residents buying from overseas.
The stock and delivery position is "interestingly vague" - when will you get it if not in stock?
An obvious question is, once taxes are added to the prices, is there a worthwhile saving having regard to at least some risk some of the time.

KevSB
3 Jan 2012 - 10:35 AM

Another Point to remember that someone mentioned on here after getting stopped a long time after buying, that if a seriel number check is done when you are travelling abroad by customs any time now or in the future you may find yourself liable for the tax.

Ade_Osman
3 Jan 2012 - 1:13 PM

Thanks guys, I think when the time comes, this w/e all being well I will probably source the kit I want through Kerso, he has everything I require and at very competitive prices......

Thanks again for all your comments views........Ade

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.