Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bilderberg Conference

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 11:14 AM

Have you been invited to this meeting? Smile

The conference, funded by Goldman Sachs and BP, is being held in Watford this year. Amongst the 140 attendees, from 21 countries, are George Osborne, Ken Clarke, Ed Balls, Shirley Williams, Peter Mandelson (remember him?!), foreign politicians, heads of various multinationals and banks, senior academics - not to mention Henry Kissinger and the head of the IMF. Notably missing is anyone from Africa, Asia or the Middle East.

Should we at least ask the British politicans attending to report back to Parliament?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jun 2013 - 11:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 1:07 PM

Quote: Should we at least ask the British politicians attending to report back to Parliament?

Well that would lose them an invite for next year Wink

Lots of different groups meet in secret or with restricted memberships, from 2 people on a golf course to events like this. We'd all love to know what these many of these people say and plan, but we probably never will.

Better to keep the law of the land relevant, and the "cash for questions" type excesses minimised. Look to the long term and make sure we keep an eye out for good or bad trajectories.

spaceman
spaceman  105159 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 7:07 PM

They keep inviting me even though I refuse to attend.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 8:25 PM

I understand Margaret Thatcher refused to attend as well, so you are in good company. Grin

Cameron is, however, going as a guest.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 8:47 PM

not that secret if they publish the guest list, is this like the Masons for much cleverer people..

oh hang on Ed Balls is on it Grin

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 9:00 PM

David Ike has a lot to answer for, wasn't it one of his rants when he lost it?

I honestly can't see what's wrong with an industry dinner, anyone that has ever attended one will know its about networking, catching up with ex colleagues and friends and foes. So do we want our politicians to restrict everything they do just to the houses of parliament?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 9:03 PM

quite, if they can have a bit of fun together maybe they'll be inclined to work together to help everyone else a bit more...

if ever there was a picture needing a quote though is the one of dear old George

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 10:14 PM

Yes, what we often forget is that people can get on with others with opposing views. I think politics would be much healthier if there was more consensus, and true discussion (as opposed to Punch and Judy).

I often watch this Week, and all the politicians (well most Wink ) not matter which political persuasion seem to talk sense and you can tell that a lot of them actually get on, when they no longer have the political whip to think about.

It was quite telling a few weeks back when Portillo said the opposition weren't the real enemy, you only really have to confront them once every 4-5 years, the real enemy were on your own benches, as they are sticking the knife in every day.

But I agree there something about Georgie that doesn't fill you with confidence.

Carabosse
8 Jun 2013 - 1:07 AM

Quote: not that secret if they publish the guest list

Apparently Bill & Hillary Clinton, together with David Rockefeller, have been photographed going into the Grove Hotel. There's obviously an appendix to the guest list to which the public have not been made privy. Lol! Wink

Quote: But I agree there something about Georgie that doesn't fill you with confidence.

One minute he and Ed Balls are at each others' throats in the Commons, the next they are snuggled together in a secret session.

The problem is, actually, the secrecy. Whilst it may be fair enough for detailed discussions to be under Chatham House rules, surely conclusions and outcomes - which may affect every one of us - should be published in some form? The politicians are in the taxpayers' employ: we have a right to demand information from them. I believe Michael Meacher is going to attempt to table a question - I hope he is successful, although I somehow doubt he will be.

Nick_w
8 Jun 2013 - 5:30 AM

Quote: The problem is, actually, the secrecy. Whilst it may be fair enough for detailed discussions to be under Chatham House rules, surely conclusions and outcomes - which may affect every one of us - should be published in some form? The politicians are in the taxpayers' employ: we have a right to demand information from them. I believe Michael Meacher is going to attempt to table a question - I hope he is successful, although I somehow doubt he will be.

Come in are you really saying they should have minutes for every conversation they ever have with anyone that could be remotely described as a politician or business associate? Just think about it, would any of us like to have to document every single conversation we had, with anyone that could be said to remotely affect the work we are in?

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
8 Jun 2013 - 7:54 AM

Quote: ...are you really saying they should have minutes for every conversation they ever have with anyone that could be remotely described as a politician or business associate? Just think about it, would any of us like to have to document every single conversation we had, with anyone that could be said to remotely affect the work we are in?

I don't think that's what he suggested, simply that since our politicians supposedly work for us they should be accountable to us, and if decisions which may affect each and every one of us are made at events such as this, we're within our rights to expect to be know about it.

I can understand that there are times when being able to discuss things away from the glare of media scrutiny is a good thing. The downside is that secrecy inevitably breeds suspicion, the more so since our political class has given us little reason to trust it.

Carabosse
8 Jun 2013 - 11:39 AM

Quote: since our politicians supposedly work for us they should be accountable to us, and if decisions which may affect each and every one of us are made at events such as this, we're within our rights to expect to be know about it.

Spot on. If a British cabinet minister attends an international conference, he/she is expected to report to Parliament about it. Other Western democracies have a similar rule.

Bilderberg seems to have been granted exemption, and that is what gives rise to suspicion and opposition. There is a feeling out there that broad strategy is being decided which will eventually feed into national policy. This may or may not be true but the secrecy does not help.

Also, it's a motley collection of individuals, including the ex-Queen of the Netherlands, General Petraeus, a columnist in a Turkish newspaper, an anchorwoman from an LA TV station, Henry Kissinger, Peter Mandelson etc. Actually the presence of the last two named probably does more to fuel suspicion than the rest put together!

spaceman
spaceman  105159 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2013 - 1:27 PM

Our privacy is being eroded by the day but the elites want theirs preserved. What is it they like to say? " If you have nothing to hide........."

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jun 2013 - 6:49 PM

Quote: Actually the presence of the last two named probably does more to fuel suspicion than the rest put together!

Absolutely! We shouldn't want these guys anywhere near Britain - they're alien beings - a couple of cold fish - throw 'em back in the water...Tongue

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2013 - 1:25 PM

Quote: Our privacy is being eroded by the day but the elites want theirs preserved. What is it they like to say? " If you have nothing to hide........."

They (the elite) have plenty to hide...
It's History repeating itself all over again: the controlling elite have the upper hand for years and years and keep pushing things until there's mayhem and bloodshed and then the elite will wonder why they have to barricade themselves against the masses. The truth is, we are already divided by the mental and cultural barricades that the ruling elite have created between themselves and the rest of us. They simply ignore reasonable arguments or protests - and through the media, they control the agenda of what we the ordinary public are allowed to question.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.