Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bird Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2011 - 3:36 PM

Any body out there who can give me some tips on bird photography ? I'm fortunate enough to have a bird feeding station next to my living room window which is visited regularly by a wide selection of bird life,I can set my camera up on the windowsill and use the curtains as a makeshift hide,trouble is they don't seem to perch for long before heading for the feeders and as I'd like to capture them with as natural a background as possible it's getting rather frustrating. Yesterday I impaled some peanuts on the rose thorns thinking that would do the trick but the clever ( and quick ) little blighters had the peanuts away before I managed to get even one shot !!! So....I'm calling on you birders out there to help......please !!!

Many thanks,
    Jane

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jan 2011 - 3:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2011 - 3:59 PM

Try to set some natural looking perches near to the feeders - a few fresh cut/harvested twigs and short branches should do the trick. You can also cheat on backgrounds if you have a busy garden and setup a sheet of something neutral in colour (eg a sheet of green or a few shades of green) behind the feeding station so that when you shoot the background is already a blurred simple subject and thus easy to hide away.

As for speed make sure you've got the window open when you shoot and watch the birds; often they will revisit the same perch and same area of the perch over and over so its a case of wait - see and shoot.

When you're not there try to keep the window open and the curtains in position - an empty jamjar sticking with its bottom out also helps since it simulates your camera being present in that area.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2011 - 6:50 PM

Crunchy Peanut butter smeared on the far side of said perches! Wink

Eviscera
    Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2011 - 7:01 PM

Superglue Wink

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85908 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2011 - 8:06 PM

Just P.M'd you Janie

Adrian

Post edit.. I believe there is quite a famous park in Burnley, which is a haven for small birds

Last Modified By tomcat at 22 Jan 2011 - 8:08 PM
    LukeParkinson

Definitely worth using your home as a hide, so open the window and put some camouflaged netting up. Put some natural looking perches up around the feeder and depending on how far away this is determines the zoom you need. Having a Aperture around F5.6 to 8 is perfect for getting all the background out of focus.

Luke

User_Removed
    6 Feb 2011 - 12:44 PM

There's some good tips on another thread here.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.