Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bird Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Perry_95
    Perry_95  359 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2011 - 4:28 PM

Hello all, i have seen many outstanding photgraphs of birds perched on branches etc. I then tried putting a perch next to a bird table but it seemed that all the birds used everything but my perch to stand on. Could somebody please tell me how to get the birds where you want them.

I think that maybe the birds hfound it easier to use the bird table, would it be better to put some sort of perch in an open space and spread food around it?

One last thing, where are the common places to catch owls in flight and what times are they out and about?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jan 2011 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2011 - 4:54 PM

You can certainly put a perch in an open area and put food nearby; I've read of some photographers who will do this earier in the day and then wander away for a walk - returning later when the birds have gathered and found the food (but not too late of course that they've eaten all the food).

You can also slip food into logs and I've even read of things like spreading peanut butter on the back of a branch - the idea being that the animal comes to get the food and you get a natural looking shot without the food lure being visible to the camera.

cheddar-caveman
    30 Jan 2011 - 7:31 PM

If you have a small, de leafed bush/small tree (and most are at this time of year), put your feeders on its branches. The birds will queue and squabble in the branches for their turn to feed. If you want Goldfinches, put a Niger seed feeder (with seeds). All the Tits love peanuts and fat.img-0114.jpg

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 30 Jan 2011 - 7:36 PM
    cheddar-caveman
    30 Jan 2011 - 7:38 PM

Sorry for the blurr in the above image. This is my new 7D which is being exchanged later this week!

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    30 Jan 2011 - 7:49 PM

Cut off a few decent sections of bush, fasten them to pieces of 1" stakes and fix the stakes adjacent to the food.
    ...you can even smear some of the branches with peanut butter, as has been suggested.
    ....with a 200mm lens you need to be close though....and patient....don't forget the tripod Smile

.....Mike

cheddar-caveman
    30 Jan 2011 - 7:53 PM

Further to my last, the most rewarding thing is to go to the birds rather than wait for them to come to you. Learn where they are, and their habits, and ambush them! I hid near a cliff edge (300ft up) for this one but it was well worth the wait!

1-peregrine.jpg

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 30 Jan 2011 - 7:53 PM
    KBan
    KBan  9456 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2011 - 8:29 PM

i say get the birds to come to you, google the birds you are after and study them

I use hand picked perches, i drill holes in them and fill with food.

Stand back and be still. quiet and patient.

Tripod with lens focused on the pech

Keith

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014504 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2011 - 12:00 AM

I like to call them to me;Wink

dsc-9259.jpg

cheddar-caveman
    31 Jan 2011 - 7:24 AM

I'll go along with that! How long did it take to get it that tame?Grin

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014504 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2011 - 7:30 AM

I think if you are relaxed around wildlife, they don't have as much fear. Btw, that's good old Canadian Cheddar, Cheddar.Wink

My wife dropped a bit of hot chicken wing one day, and they ate it; took me about 6 months to coax them back.Tongue

Last Modified By StrayCat at 31 Jan 2011 - 7:32 AM
    tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85874 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2011 - 6:37 PM

Just P.M'd you Perry

Adrian

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.