Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Bird Watching photo competition

Graywolf 7 965 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2011 9:26PM
I made a New Year's resolution this year, as yet unaccomplished, to enter at least one photo competition this year. Bird Watching magazine is holding a 'Bird Photo of the Year 2011' competition sponsored by Park Cameras. One of the terms and conditions I quote below.

'Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, in consideration of their providing the Competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Bauer and Park Cameras to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.'

Presumably that means that they reserve the right to use the photos without payment. Would they also expect to use them without a credit?

Now as this is my first competition it probably won't stop me entering but I wondered how general this type of reservation is and what people feel about it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graywolf 7 965 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2011 9:46PM
Also it gives no indication of file types (I suppose jpg would be the standard) or file sizes required.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Jul 2011 11:15PM
As a relative of a member of Bauer staff, I am disqualified!
7 Jul 2011 9:09AM
I think this is fairly standard for competitions, as time goes on your photos become less precious to you and so this feeling eases and you can let go.
The worst competition I know of was run by a Todmorden information centre, they wanted you to pay 2 to enter, print and deliver the photos and
then if you won they would let you have 10, outrageous, of course they would the use the photo to promote Todmorden for free such a cheeky way
of getting your local photography done on the cheap.
I'm enjoying the comps here on ephotozine, great prizes Smile.

Tim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.