Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Black and white group.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Jestertheclown
    20 Oct 2012 - 8:52 PM

Hi folks,it's been a nearly a month since this group appeared in the forums, so I thought that I'd remind people that we still exist!
    The group's gallery, whilst the content's not exactly prolific, it is ticking over quite nicely and the members that are taking part are to be congratulated on keeping it afloat with no input from me.

If anyone has an interest in black and white photography and would like to met a few like-minded souls, we'd love to hear from you.
    The aims of the group aren't too lofty. We just enjoy displaying our B/W shots and exchanging ideas, info. and of course, some polite critique. There's some good natured banter as well.
    New faces are very welcome.
    We don't bite.
    We do however, encourage and attempt to help one another and if you'd care to join us, that will immediately include you!
    Let's see what you've got!

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 20 Oct 2012 - 8:52 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Oct 2012 - 8:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

petebfrance
    21 Oct 2012 - 6:59 PM

Have just uploaded a photo which I took a few days ago - I hadn't realised that it was possible to do so, probably a 'senior moment' as I just don't understand Epz. It would be nice if the competition entries could also be moved into this gallery - all too confusing...
    Pete

Jestertheclown
    21 Oct 2012 - 7:10 PM

Quote: It would be nice if the competition entries could also be moved into this gallery - all too confusing...

Is anyone else finding using the two groups confusing?

The only way that I can see to place the challenge images in here would be to mix them up with the others, making sure that they were very, very clearly marked as such.

I rather have my doubts that that would work.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 21 Oct 2012 - 7:11 PM
    cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96001 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2012 - 7:21 PM

I'm happy leaving the challenge group separate - or do as we did with the Monday Night Challenge and use the forum instead for the challenge and upload the photos to the thread. That seemed to work ok last week.

Of course we effectively have two mono/B&W groups - this one and the Mono Enthusiasts Group (which I've not joined as I have quite enough on my plate as it is and don't contribute to the groups I am a member of as often as I should).

petebfrance
    21 Oct 2012 - 7:22 PM

Bren
    actually, what I had in mind was moving them across after the competition was finished, if that were possible. Just a thought...
    Pete

Last Modified By petebfrance at 21 Oct 2012 - 7:23 PM
    Jestertheclown
    21 Oct 2012 - 7:32 PM

Oh, I see Peter.
    To do that we'd all have to independently upload them to the other group which is easy enough if you want to do it. It's probably easier still to upload to both groups in one go in the first place.

Hi Ali,
    I missed out on the MNC again last Monday, for all the usual reasons but I'd followed the thread re. changing the format and wondered how well it worked.
    I quite like the idea of running a challenge as a forum thread but I'm not so keen on changing the B/W challenge at the moment.
    There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it as it is.
    Unless someone feels differently?

B.

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    21 Oct 2012 - 8:15 PM

Why is there a B&W and a mono group?
    It seems a bit like overkill.
    Especially as there are sepia (mono?) and colour separation images in the B&W gallery, which I would have thought belong in the mono group.
    Black and white means means black and white, surely.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96001 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2012 - 8:18 PM

Quote: Why is there a B&W and a mono group?

No idea - I can only assume that we weren't serious enough for the Mono Enthusiasts and they started their own group this summer.

Jestertheclown
    21 Oct 2012 - 8:59 PM

No, I don't know either and it does seem a bit daft.

Gypsyman
    Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
    29 Nov 2012 - 4:26 PM

I changed to the Mono Group hoping to get more comments on my efforts of changing Colour shots into B&W, but the
    outcome was just the same as here, a comment on the first one or two then nothing.

Jestertheclown
    29 Nov 2012 - 4:43 PM

I know that you've been looking for comments etc. on your work for some time Eric but I'm inclined to think that the groups aren't the best place to be looking for them.
    While we do sometimes comment on each others' images, we're a very small number compared to the potential viewers who'd see your work in the main galleries.
    Really, although I'm not nearly so keen to recommend it as I would once have been, you might be better off placing your shots in the critique gallery.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 5:10 PM

One of the reasons for the groups was that Monochrome was getting ignored in the main gallery. My experience has shown that similar groups online or offline begins with enthusiasm then declines.
    My interest has been with B&W for many years but can live with it in the main gallery where I have spotted some excellent examples.
    Using the filter of course can help.
    Commenting on any in the gallery makes demands on time which can pass at an alarming rate.

I added this link to the group that may interest others here. Grey No 11

Quote: I changed to the Mono Group hoping to get more comments on my efforts of changing Colour shots into B&W, but the
    outcome was just the same as here, a comment on the first one or two then nothing.

You can gain experience from seeing other work without relying on comments while they are welcome if given..

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104000 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 5:19 PM

Quote: Why is there a B&W and a mono group?

No idea - I can only assume that we weren't serious enough for the Mono Enthusiasts and they started their own group this summer.

The original concept of the `Mono Entusiasts Group' was "This is a group ...... to share images and techniques used". The group tends (and I use the term loosely) to have a little more discussion about the techniques involved and suggestions on how images might be improved...... as opposed to the B&W photography group which leans towards a mere collection of shared images. That's not to say that there isn't comment/discussion in the latter.

I use both from time to time. Smile

I think there's enough room for both?

Jestertheclown
    29 Nov 2012 - 5:35 PM

Quote: I think there's enough room for both?

I should hope so.

Gypsyman
    Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
    29 Nov 2012 - 7:31 PM

Thank you Jester, Ken & Cats. for your replies.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.