Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Black and Whites

Mike_Smith e2
7 204 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 9:36PM
Has anyone else noticed the amount of black and white pictures that get awards on this site. I think Mono's are becoming more and more popular again. Do you guys like black and whites and if so on what ? For instance i take a lot of wildlife pictures which would be no good at all in mono, i think people shots, and street photography work well in Mono.
Anyway i just wondered what your thoughts were on this
Regards

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
14 Dec 2012 9:40PM
richsabre 2 22 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 9:50PM
i take quite a few mono landscape shots. im starting to do it alot more. im also starting IR BW landscapes
to me only certain shots that i take work well for mono, and i have to think mono if i want a decent shot at the end of it.

i also think alot of portraits work well, or even better in mono, as does documentary photography

mono has the effect of removing colour distractions so is helpful in these cases

overall i cant comment on the long term (being a photographer now for about a decade) but i certainly see a lot of popularity for mono....which to me is a good thing
still its probably worth mentioning i dont take mono shots because its 'in' or anything, i guess my style is just (and i hate to use this word) maturing
rich
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 10:40PM
I always used B&W with film only very occasionally used colour.
With digital the amount of control you have with B&W is greater and well beyond what could be done in the darkroom with LR/Silver Effex. It all begins with colour shot in RAW leaving me to visualise its effect in B&W.

It removes the glamour of colour stressing the texture and shapes.
Much of what I shoot lends itself to B&W which suggest I must have become tuned to B&W.

Street photography does work well with Mono although it was interesting that Martin Parr moved over to colour some years ago from B&W possibly to capture the glamour.

What shots I have done leaving it in colour is right on the borderline.
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
14 Dec 2012 11:09PM
have you looked at the mono groups.... here and here . There's also a weekly challenge

no reason why wildlife shouldn't work in mono Smile
RoyBoy 10 173 2 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 8:56AM
Natural history/wildlife can be brilliant in mono, just look at Nick Brandt's book "A Shadow Falls" for proof of this. This has some of the most amazing images
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
15 Dec 2012 9:44AM

Quote:Natural history/wildlife can be brilliant in mono, just look at Nick Brandt's book "A Shadow Falls" for proof of this. This has some of the most amazing images

I always believed that, despite the fact that a photography teacher once questioned my use of B&W in a portrait of a Jaguar. It can bring out character in an animal in much the same way as it does in a human being, and there's no better exponent of the art than Nick Brandt. I felt rather gratified when I first saw his work!

I don't know about the ratio of awards though - personally I don't think ePhotozine is a particularly B&W orientated website, probably due to its sheer size. A well taken colour photo is always an assault on the senses—anyone's senses, whilst black and white without being superior may be more of an acquired taste.
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
15 Dec 2012 11:26AM
I like to do some shots from Colour to B&W, but apart from Cats_123 making comment on them, Get no feed back, have tried all the 3 Mono group on site.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
15 Dec 2012 12:09PM
To a certain extent i agree most of my monos in the B/W and mono groups don't get commented on but i love doing B/W shots so i won't stop Cats is one of the few that comment regularly , maybe thats more a reflection on me i don't really knowSad

Rod
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
15 Dec 2012 1:06PM

Quote:I like to do some shots from Colour to B&W, but apart from Cats_123 making comment on them, Get no feed back, have tried all the 3 Mono group on site.

Quote:To a certain extent i agree most of my monos in the B/W and mono groups don't get commented on but i love doing B/W shots so i won't stop Cats is one of the few that comment regularly , maybe thats more a reflection on me i don't really knowSadRod

I think it's a cultural habit thing...so if we can persuade others to join in, then it can only strengthen the groups. it's easier in colour to understand why a photo was taken and so it's important that we try to explain what we have done to the image to convert it. I would also like to see more uploads of the original colour shot as a version (and mods allowed where possible) Smile
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
15 Dec 2012 1:46PM
Maybe so Jeff i did hope to get more B/w feedback upon joining the group as opposed to the main gallery , so its a wee bit discourageing as i feel its a great way to learn but its just not happening ! I know most of us are busy with work and life etc but it sorta defeats the purpose of the group.

Rod
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
15 Dec 2012 3:31PM

Quote:Has anyone else noticed the amount of black and white pictures that get awards on this site. I think Mono's are becoming more and more popular again

I haven`t seen any changes, its always been around 1 in 4.
AlexandraSD 3 435 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 3:58PM
I just saw more than a few cracking mono wildlife/natural history images in the VS gallery!
Gypsyman e2
4 660 England
15 Dec 2012 5:22PM
Maybe Jeff ( cat_123) could captain a Friendly B&W group where Members could get comments, praise or correction, and in exchange make a comment on one of the
other photographs submitted. Leaving no entry without comment.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
15 Dec 2012 7:43PM

Quote:Get no feed back, have tried all the 3 Mono group on site.

You keep making that same complaint Eric and I keep telling you the same thing.

The only place on this site where you're even remotely likely to get the response and feedback that you're looking for, is the critique gallery.

That's the whole point of posting your shots in there.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.