Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Black background on a budget?

ecowarrior 7 577 England
10 Mar 2010 10:25PM
Can anybody recommend a budget black background that will last more than one amateur home studio shoot with my kids? I'm seeing vinyl backed photography backdrops for about 50ish - is that about the right price or can they be had for less? Having spent a fair bit recently I need to tread lightly around my wife!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Mar 2010 10:46PM
A few yards of Velvet, less than a tenner, market, fabric land etc.
ecowarrior 7 577 England
11 Mar 2010 7:04AM
Thanks Paul, I'll have a mooch round our market at the weekend.
HouseMartin 5 193 1 England
11 Mar 2010 7:42AM
Have had a couple (including plain black) from these guys .

Very reasonable and well made.

Paul
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2010 9:55AM
I used these people.
I have wooden batons top and bottom, and keep it rolled up when not in use.
The collapsible black velvet bg's are worth the extra if you can afford it, as the tension when opened keeps the velvet crease-free.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
12 Mar 2010 12:21PM
The Sunday markets generally have a good choice of black fabric for a pound a metre.

I avoid synthetic fibres, and the current background is all-wool coat fabric with a beautiful flat black texture. It weighs a ton so I needed the heavy-duty support poles from Sudio Decor.
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
12 Mar 2010 2:09PM
Is it just me - or are the links not working?
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
12 Mar 2010 2:11PM
I think it's just you! Wink
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
12 Mar 2010 2:49PM
I used a black sheet from Primark which cost
Daisy_intheMill 10 145 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 4:20PM
If you use velvet you'l get a shine from it - the idea of a cotton/polyester sheet zipped up the top with a sewing machine or even held with pegs will wash v. well. Cost pence really. I've even had a dog pee on mine!Grin
Jude
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 6:35PM
Asda smart price bed sheets, the non fitted ones,,,, get two and hang them together. 6 for both.
ecowarrior 7 577 England
12 Mar 2010 9:34PM
At the camera club last night they had two basic set ups using a couple of different types of black material so I've got a rough idea what I'm looking for now. What I DON'T have is any studio lights like they had, so I'm kind of going to have to figure out how to get the best out of my on-camera flash and my SB-600 off-camera. I do have a 5-in-1 reflector/diffuser thingy now. Just got to experiment a bit I think.

EVENTUALLY when the wife has forgotten the recent purchases, maybe I'll add a couple of proper studio-lights of some sort.

The results we were getting last night were exactly the kind of affect I'm trying to get when photographing the kids (for example).

I reckon eventually I'm gonna have more equipment than Lord Snowdon!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.