Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Black screen of death

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LouiseTopp
4 Apr 2014 - 10:05 AM

Just quickly typing this in safe mode. I updated my malwarebytes and I was told to restart pc which I did. Now after the wellcome screen it fades to black so only the white cursor is seen. This is a real pain and I don't know if the driver has gone again. My next reply will be on my tablet, can anyone offer any suggesstions on what do to please? Am running windows 7.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2014 - 10:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 - 10:30 AM

I take it that Windows loads fine in Safe Mode?

In my previous experiences, i've found that this is generally down to something running at startup of windows. Try running malwarebytes while in SafeMode as well as your anti-virus. You'd be suprised what they might find.

David

Last Modified By davidburleson at 4 Apr 2014 - 10:35 AM
LouiseTopp
4 Apr 2014 - 10:49 AM

Bit woried about touching anything at the moment incase i make thngs worse. I could try that.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104004 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 12:34 PM

have you anything in one of your external drives? e.g. a card in the card reader...PC will try and boot from any drive available......other than that, can you do a restore from within safe mode...go back a couple of days before you updated malaware

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 12:39 PM

Personally I'm not a real fan of malwarebytes, its a last resort and itself open to abuse. I'd remove it completely when possible.

Till then, as Dave says, better to go with it where you can; Also see if there is another boot option first 'boot from last known good configuration'

If all that fails you may be down to the restore to factory option though that may risk photo's on you drives; unless you have access to any other recovery CD's USB's etc. you may have taken before?

Good luck

puertouk
puertouk  21057 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 12:50 PM

Do a system restore. That should resolve your problem Wink
Stephen

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  4254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 2:31 PM

If the problem came straight from the malwarebytes update I would start it into safe mode and uninstall malwarebytes. Then see if it will start up ok. If it does find something else to use instead of malwarebytes.

LouiseTopp
4 Apr 2014 - 7:36 PM

I did a control alt and delete and clicked on windows task manager. Seemed to bring up the desk top, but I dont want to keep doing that to access my pc! I rang up the pc people who said they would call me at the end of the day, but they never did so again I am going to have to chase em up on Monday as they dont work on the weekends,

This is the second time this has happened, can you recommend a programme similar to malwarebytes that detects and gets rid of malware without buggering my system? Thanks.

Last Modified By LouiseTopp at 4 Apr 2014 - 7:37 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2014 - 8:49 PM

I use Spybot (another freebie from safer-networking.org) and have never had a problem with it.

LouiseTopp
4 Apr 2014 - 9:02 PM

I might have to re-install the spybot I got because when I click on show results after scan and then click repair, all I get is a spinning blue circle and nothing else. I don't know why this happens.

LouiseTopp
5 Apr 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hi I did controle, alt and delete, then went onto windows task manager. I switched on this morning and it seems Okay for now. I dare not touch the malwarebytes in case it goes wrong again. What do you think I should do please?

mikehit
mikehit  46191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2014 - 11:26 AM

You have managed to get your computer back on line so you have two choices: remove malwarebytes because you don't trust it or re-run it and see if the same thing happens. I would never have on my computer a program I don't trust, especially one like malwarebytes that runs in the background because I would always be thinking 'has that happened because....' and computers are prone to enough glitches without adding to them (real or imagined).

LouiseTopp
5 Apr 2014 - 4:30 PM

Is there another programme like malwarebytes please that's realiable?

franken
franken e2 Member 113061 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2014 - 5:04 PM

I've used malwarebytes for years without any problems.

Only the paid for version runs in the background.

The free version only picks up nasties when you do a scan.

If you have CCleaner (its free) then it may be a good idea to do a registry scan as they can cause similar problems especially if you've been deleting/adding programs to your system.

Ken

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43689 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2014 - 5:26 PM

As an alternative to CCleaner, try PrivaZer.
After being happy with CC for years, I found PrivaZer finds more nasties. Free, as is CC.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 5 Apr 2014 - 5:27 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.