Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Black screen of death

4 Apr 2014 10:05AM
Just quickly typing this in safe mode. I updated my malwarebytes and I was told to restart pc which I did. Now after the wellcome screen it fades to black so only the white cursor is seen. This is a real pain and I don't know if the driver has gone again. My next reply will be on my tablet, can anyone offer any suggesstions on what do to please? Am running windows 7.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Apr 2014 10:30AM
I take it that Windows loads fine in Safe Mode?

In my previous experiences, i've found that this is generally down to something running at startup of windows. Try running malwarebytes while in SafeMode as well as your anti-virus. You'd be suprised what they might find.

David
4 Apr 2014 10:49AM
Bit woried about touching anything at the moment incase i make thngs worse. I could try that.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
4 Apr 2014 12:34PM
have you anything in one of your external drives? e.g. a card in the card reader...PC will try and boot from any drive available......other than that, can you do a restore from within safe mode...go back a couple of days before you updated malaware
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 12:39PM
Personally I'm not a real fan of malwarebytes, its a last resort and itself open to abuse. I'd remove it completely when possible.

Till then, as Dave says, better to go with it where you can; Also see if there is another boot option first 'boot from last known good configuration'

If all that fails you may be down to the restore to factory option though that may risk photo's on you drives; unless you have access to any other recovery CD's USB's etc. you may have taken before?

Good luck
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 12:50PM
Do a system restore. That should resolve your problem Wink
Stephen
Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 2:31PM
If the problem came straight from the malwarebytes update I would start it into safe mode and uninstall malwarebytes. Then see if it will start up ok. If it does find something else to use instead of malwarebytes.
4 Apr 2014 7:36PM
I did a control alt and delete and clicked on windows task manager. Seemed to bring up the desk top, but I dont want to keep doing that to access my pc! I rang up the pc people who said they would call me at the end of the day, but they never did so again I am going to have to chase em up on Monday as they dont work on the weekends,

This is the second time this has happened, can you recommend a programme similar to malwarebytes that detects and gets rid of malware without buggering my system? Thanks.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
4 Apr 2014 8:49PM
I use Spybot (another freebie from safer-networking.org) and have never had a problem with it.
4 Apr 2014 9:02PM
I might have to re-install the spybot I got because when I click on show results after scan and then click repair, all I get is a spinning blue circle and nothing else. I don't know why this happens.
5 Apr 2014 10:00AM
Hi I did controle, alt and delete, then went onto windows task manager. I switched on this morning and it seems Okay for now. I dare not touch the malwarebytes in case it goes wrong again. What do you think I should do please?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2014 11:26AM
You have managed to get your computer back on line so you have two choices: remove malwarebytes because you don't trust it or re-run it and see if the same thing happens. I would never have on my computer a program I don't trust, especially one like malwarebytes that runs in the background because I would always be thinking 'has that happened because....' and computers are prone to enough glitches without adding to them (real or imagined).
5 Apr 2014 4:30PM
Is there another programme like malwarebytes please that's realiable?
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
5 Apr 2014 5:04PM
I've used malwarebytes for years without any problems.

Only the paid for version runs in the background.

The free version only picks up nasties when you do a scan.

If you have CCleaner (its free) then it may be a good idea to do a registry scan as they can cause similar problems especially if you've been deleting/adding programs to your system.

Ken
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
5 Apr 2014 5:26PM
As an alternative to CCleaner, try PrivaZer.
After being happy with CC for years, I found PrivaZer finds more nasties. Free, as is CC.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.