Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Blasts from the past...or dinosaurs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 2:50 PM

Chicken!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Feb 2013 - 2:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
10 Feb 2013 - 4:45 PM

Do you mean chicken that you could identify in a blind tasting?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 5:03 PM

Quote: Chicken!

Not so much chicken, just that it was so long ago I think the daguerreotype had only just been invented. Tongue

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314948 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 5:05 PM

Green shield stamps, can remember my mum collecting them and me spending them Smile

Saturday morning pictures with stuff made by the children's film foundation.

Saturday jobs, helpimg the milkman or on building sites, wouldn`t be allowed now.

Kids being paid by the hour to pick litter after the Reading Festival finished, again it wouldn`t be allowed now.

Bunking into festivals`s, no one batted on eyelid at kids wondering in.

Bunking onto trains after buying a cheap platform ticket, we would end up anywhere and everywhere Smile

Us kids had so much more freedom in the old days.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 10 Feb 2013 - 5:06 PM
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43641 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 5:41 PM

Quote: Us kids had so much more freedom in the old days.

How true! When I was about 10 I got a watch for xmas and a clear message that woe betide me if I was ever late home for dinner on a Saturday, or in the school hols. Off I'd go on my bike, they'd never know where I was from one hour to the next, but I was alwaays home for dinner. Wouldn't dare allow kids today that freedom.

monstersnowman
10 Feb 2013 - 6:18 PM

Foil topped milk with the cream at the top. All delivered outside your door each morning ...
Ring pulls off cans on the pavement ...
Stray dogs ... And acting excited like you've never seen a dog before if it came into your school playground.
Bus conductors hanging off the back pole of open-backed buses ...

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43641 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 6:26 PM

Standing at the Milton Road end of The Dell, before compulsory seating was introduced.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 7:31 PM

Watching a Sunderland Flying Boat take off under Rochester Bridge

Seeing the Brabazon lumbering into the air from London Airport

Watching the Saunders-Roe Princess Flying Boat test flying over Southampton Water

The early Hovercraft trials off Hayling Island when I was living there in the early '60s (I've just remembered that they were built by Saunders Roe too)

That really was a magic time for British inventiveness, not always successful unfortunately

I worked for a paint lab over the road from the Hawker plant at Kingston on Thames and got to know the lads working on the Harrier and its Supersonic version that was supposed to follow it. We had a trade stand at Farnborough each year so I got to see the first public display with it. Then I saw the heartbreak of the team when the supersonic version was cancelled and all the prototypes, jigs and plans were destroyed. Its been downhill ever since Sad

(Its a small world though, I was at a local Craft Fair in Decemebr and one of the other stall-holders turned out to have been in command of the both the Black Arrows display team (Hunters, which my company painted) and also the first active squadron of Harriers. It turned out we had also painted his and his wife's cars in the same high tech paint system we finished the Hunters in! Smile )

JJGEE
JJGEE  96223 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 7:44 PM

Quote: Watching a Sunderland Flying Boat take off under Rochester Bridge

Built no doubt by Short Brothers.

Checking Google it appears they moved to Belfast in the late 1940's but I think they still had some connection with Rochester into the 1960's as I remember the name from my schooldays.

Meheecho
Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Feb 2013 - 8:55 PM

Sherbet dabs
Trebor fruit salad chews and blackjacks
The Lone Ranger
The Cisco kid
Zorro
Juke box jury
The goon show
Gary Halliday
Beano , Dandy , Beezer, The famous Five, Billy Bunter, Jennings

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2013 - 8:56 PM

Quote: but I think they still had some connection with Rochester into the 1960's

This must have been in the '50s and there was still a slipway + shed where they serviced the flying boats. It was upriver of the two bridges but its too long ago for me to remember exactly where. They used to just about leave the water as the went under the first bridge, then, if memory is correct they had to bank left as they became airborne to get under the second bridge. The noise those radial engines made was amazing

Funny how it all comes back in a session like this Grin

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 10:59 AM

Envious of you, Brian. I love the look of flying boats (not seaplanes) but have never seen an operational one 'in the metal' and maybe never will. {Sigh} Smile

brian1208
11 Feb 2013 - 11:48 AM

It was a magical time CB, great as a teenager because I was a complete plane nut (still am to a certain extent).

A group of us used to cycle around all the local airbases and nip through the wire fences to get a closer look at what was on the ground.

I remember standing under the open bomb bay doors of a Victor Bomber (at Blackbushe Airfield if I remember rightly) thinking it looked like something out of the Eagle (who remembers Dan Dare and the Mekons? )

We got chased out by a security bloke in a peaked cap, we'd probably have got shot nowadays Tongue

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2013 - 11:50 AM

Quote: who remembers Dan Dare and the Mekons?

Me. Smile

brian1208
11 Feb 2013 - 12:12 PM

What was the name of the attractive female lead in the cartoon? (damn - its funny what comes back after all these years Grin )

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.