Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Blending photos

27 Nov 2012 10:52PM
Hi, i am after a bit of advice please. 3 months ago we lost our 19 year old daughter due to an asthma attack, i also have a 19 month old daughter and i am hoping to a nice picture of her by the christmas tree holding a clear glass ball like a crystal ball or a silver bauble and i want to put my deceased daughters face in the bauble/chrystal ball so it looks like my youngest is wishing her big sister back. I know to some it may sound strange, but it is what we want. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how to do this as i have searched for techniques and couldn't find any. I have seen pictures with the same sort of thing done, but not how it is done. Any tips/ideas are most welcome.

Ant

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
27 Nov 2012 11:25PM
Hi, very sorry to hear about your daughter.

This would be fairly easy to do in full Photoshop - you could drag one photo onto another using the 'move' tool and then reduce its size (so that a face could fit into a bauble) maybe using 'free transform'. Free transform will also allow you to easily rotate one picture over another. Lowering the opacity in the top layer will enable you to see how the two pictures align. When you have the portrait positioned as you want it you could feather the edges by adding a layer mask and using the brush tool.
28 Nov 2012 12:08AM
Cheers Glenn, sounds simple enough. I have elements 10 that i have been playing with for other things, will this work for what i am trying to achieve?

Ant
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
28 Nov 2012 6:17AM
Not sure about Elements 10, but a quick scout around suggests it will work. There's a decent video tutorial here that will help you get to grips with using layer masks, in case you haven't used them before. You'll be able to use the same method to tidy up the transition between your two photos.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2012 10:02AM
Yes Elements 10 would be fine for this lovely idea. The tutorials are mostly similar enough for this type of thing between elements and photoshop. Good Luck, its well worth learning.
28 Nov 2012 11:08AM
img-53111-copy.jpg

I did this one this morning, but not sure it looks right. it was only a quick one and obviously i will take more time with the one i want to do, but this one is my deceased daughters eyes with my other kids in her pupils. To me it looks a bit flats, but i welcome any thoughts.

Ant
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
28 Nov 2012 11:57AM
You can make a levels adjustment to the pupil of the eye, Ant, which will brighten up the 'reflection'. If you use the elliptical tool with the shift key held down you'll automatically be restricted to a perfect circle. Move that over the pupil, hit Ctrl + L, and then move the right slider in. If you overdo it the reflection may appear too bright.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.