Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Blocked product code

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chavender
    chavender e2 Member 3214 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2012 - 6:32 PM

Hi
    I have been running genuine windows 7 home premium (purchased from Amazon) for the last 18 months.
    It is in a genuine Microsoft packaging with both 32 and 64 bit disks.
    I had a problem with some updates yesterday and today it seems that the product key has been blocked by Microsoft.

Does any one know how I can contact Microsoft to resolve this please.

Thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Aug 2012 - 6:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    17 Aug 2012 - 6:38 PM

I can't answer your question Bill but is your problem related to this?

aco012000
    aco012000  835 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2012 - 7:11 PM

Microsoft UK Customer Services
    Microsoft Campus
    Reading
    RG6 1WG
    Tel: 0913 128 3362

User_Removed
    17 Aug 2012 - 7:44 PM

Quote:
    I had a problem with some updates yesterday and today it seems that the product key has been blocked by Microsoft.

The product key issue should only be a problem in the unlikely event that someone else has managed to pirate your discs.

All software manufacturers now have very sophisticated systems in place to ensure that no more than the authorised number of users install from a disc.

But, assuming that is not the case, it may well be the update issue that we were trying to help with yesterday.

stevenb
    stevenb e2 Member 11260 forum postsstevenb vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Aug 2012 - 10:38 PM

I had the same problem, Because I hadn't done at least a basic scan for over 30 days.
    Soon as I did a basic scan the problem was solved.

Bill

User_Removed
    17 Aug 2012 - 10:44 PM

Quote:
    The product key issue should only be a problem in the unlikely event that someone else has managed to pirate your discs.

Nothing to do with the discs. Product Key stickers are on laptop bases, disc wallets and pc cases where they can be copied down (in shops for example) and spread over the net then blocked.

chavender
    chavender e2 Member 3214 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Aug 2012 - 9:41 AM

Thanks all for the help.
    Done a full scan with AVG and spybot, both clear (thanks Bill)
    Thanks for the phone No aco012000
    I have to wait until after 8am on Monday to contact Microsoft customer services to try and resolve the problem.
    You would think that a company the size of Microsoft would have 24/7 customer services support.
    It would seem that although I purchased a sealed, retail copy from a respected supplier (who assures me that it is genuine) and that the software has been installed and working since Feb 2011 Microsoft now deems it illegal.
    It has only been installed on one machine and all updates have been installed. The latest ones one at a time (Thanks for the link Bren).

Bill

Last Modified By chavender at 18 Aug 2012 - 9:48 AM
    User_Removed
    18 Aug 2012 - 11:11 AM

Quote: I had a problem with some updates yesterday and today it seems that the product key has been blocked by Microsoft.

How sure are you that the updates were for Windows and weren't for another product like Microsoft Office?

chavender
    18 Aug 2012 - 2:52 PM

Quote: How sure are you that the updates were for Windows and weren't for another product like Microsoft Office?

Windows is the only Microsoft software on the machine Chris. Apart from Adobe the rest is mostly open source.

Bill

chavender
    20 Aug 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thought I would provide an update.
    Spoke to Microsoft customer services this morning.
    Apparently the problem is that my software (Windows 7 home premium) was sold with a MSDN product code inside the packaging so therefore an illegal copy.
    If it is counterfeit it`s a very good, convincing copy.
    I have filed a counterfeit software report and sent the software to Microsoft who say they will then send me a "legal" copy FOC.
    I am still waiting for a reply from the retailer (Edens, via Amazon).

So apart from the 4 for postage and the aggravation, the outcome should be OK.

Thanks again for the input.

Bill

User_Removed
    20 Aug 2012 - 10:58 AM

Very interesting.

Please let us know how the retailer responds.

chavender
    23 Aug 2012 - 4:44 PM

Just received this from Microsoft,

"Your counterfeit report submission has been reviewed and accepted. A complimentary software replacement kit will be shipped to the address you provided when submitting your counterfeit report. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of your complimentary kit".

Just goes to show that there can be problems even from supposedly reputable retailers.

Interestingly, no response at all from the retailer. Unable to contact them directly as all correspondence goes through Amazon.

And I have to say, Well done Microsoft.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.