Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Blocking telephone numbers - effective methods

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Overread
Overread  63768 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 5:50 PM

Ok so the "PPI helpline" callcentre has finally driven me mad. Getting 3 or more a day for the last few days (it wasn't normally that bad) and they are all automatic machines (nor even a real live scammer - the cheek). Then I got the "this is the computer maintenance department you've got a computer error" at 7am this morning....... So I'm wondering how to block calls.

I know some advanced phones offer this as a feature, but I'm reluctant to have to upgrade the phone (I seriously only need it to call people/have them call me). I've had a look on BT, but it seems the only free option only excludes me from call-centres signed up to one of their free services and I suspect most of the above companies are likely not on the official list.
Bt options

Sadly that means either upgrading the phone to one that stores and blocks numbers on its own (though I assume I'd still need the BT caller ID feature?) or just continuing to ignore it half the time Wink Unless BT has any other options lurking around (I know sometimes not all customer options are as prominently displayed by all companies or can be hidden in strange places in the organisation structure).

Last Modified By Overread at 16 Mar 2012 - 5:50 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2012 - 5:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier
16 Mar 2012 - 6:49 PM

Try the Telephone Preference Service

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 7:00 PM

Quote: Try the Telephone Preference Service

Yes.......but it isn't as good as all that; we still get cold calls even though we're on TPS. You need to make very sure you make sure that you tick or untick the little boxes declining the offer to pass your details to "relevant third parties" on any form you fill in with your phone number on it 'cos the little bu**ers wil get you one way or 'totherSadSad

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 7:03 PM

Quote: Try the Telephone Preference Service

Yes.......but it isn't as good as all that; we still get cold calls even though we're on TPS. You need to make very sure you make sure that you tick or untick the little boxes declining the offer to pass your details to "relevant third parties" on any form you fill in with your phone number on it 'cos the little bu**ers will get you one way or 'totherSadSad

..............and they use cunning methods such as international numbers, withheld numbers as well as innocent looking "normal" numbers which would be particularly difficult to block. They don't like calling mobiles though!!TongueTongueSmileSmileSmile

User_Removed
16 Mar 2012 - 7:09 PM

Best thing we ever did - and recently - was to buy a pair of modern DECT phones... Not a vast amount of money (well under 75) and, between the TPS (as suggested) and the blocking facilities on the two new phones (60 numbers between 'em Wink), the silence is bliss.

Smile

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 7:11 PM

TPS used to be good. I get those PPI calls all the time at work, its really annoying. TPS doesnt mean alot to most these days, maybe its because the TPS are so busy that the offending callers think its worth the chance.

I had to report one persistent company recently yet despite giving the TPS all the details I had an automated email from them weeks later telling me they were unable to trace them! I knew that couldnt be right so I suspect that they dont have enough resources to cope.

thewilliam
17 Mar 2012 - 10:02 AM

TPS only has legal force when the organisation has a UK presence and many of the unsolicited calls that we get come from abroad.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've had a Truecall on my line for a few years now and it works a treat.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
17 Mar 2012 - 10:24 AM

I bought 2 of these recently purely for the 'block' facility, (not from these people I might add - just the first link I found for an example!). They were the most reasonably priced I could find with that function. Well pleased with them.
I didn't get the multiple handset pack because I have been stuck with 4 handsets and 3 bases that don't work because the main base packed up on a multi pack years ago Sad
The TPS sort of works but they told me to re-register every few months to be sure it remains active.

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
17 Mar 2012 - 2:56 PM

The most annoying cold call I used to receive was some cruise advert / competition - it was an auto dialer and the first thing you heard after answering was a ships horn ! In retrospect I hope no one was listening to those calls to hear my initial response Wink

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2012 - 3:13 PM

Another vote for Truecall from me. No more "This is the Captain...", or worse still some of them calling in the middle of the night!

Really annoying that the TPS only has jursidiction in the UK. Most of these now come through as International. Luckily I don't have anyone abroad that would want to call me, so I can just block all international numbers.

thewilliam
18 Mar 2012 - 5:19 PM

Invest in a good referee's whistle like the Acme Thunderer.

Then speak vey quietly so the caller has to press the handset to his ear...... and give a good blast with the whistle.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2012 - 5:24 PM

The last one I had I just laid my mini-recorder against the phone mouthpiece and gave the guy a lecture on charcoal burners procedures.

I don't think he heard the full recording, though. Wink

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73355 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2012 - 5:40 PM

TPS only works for cold selling calls. Callers are getting round it now by saying they are not selling but doing "market surveys" which are not covered by TPS.
I recently has a long argument with one caller about the legalities of what they were doing & they only stopped when I told them I now had had enough time to trace the address of their call & they should expect a visit from the authorities. Rang off immediately. It was an 0845 number.
But it's worth getting the callers number if possible & reporting them. If enough complaints are made the TPS will take action.

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2012 - 7:27 PM

Kind of feel sorry for the employees of these companies - but not sorry enough to listen. Just say I'm signed up to the TPS and they shouldn't be phoning, then hang up. No, they don't phone mobiles - but they do text them. I get quite a few texts from loan companies and ambulance chasers, though there is nothing in my past to suggest I would need either. And I get a content free text (ie totally empty) every single week.... weird! All in all, very irritating. Who on earth buys goods and services from cold callers? They must be crazy.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.