Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Blog on Soap Bubble Photography, input sought

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 8:07PM
I've put up Part 1 of a Blog on my experiments with photographing soap bubbles as controlled foams, small groups of individually blown bubbles and as single, large bubbles mimicing planetary atmospheres.

Any input you may care to give me on the subject and content will be much appreciated.

Part 1 is primarily about the creation of the bubble structures and Part 2 will cover the lighting and shooting techniques

The blog is here

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 9:02PM
Very interesting work Brian.
I was inspired over xmas when my nephew and niece were having a bubble blowing frenzy,
to try something a bit more technical when I had some time alone, so your blog and techniques are appreciated.
I find the bubble structures most appealing.
11 Jan 2013 10:52PM
Brian, the article is looking fine, clean and simple, thanks for sharing.

Gareth
KathyW e2
11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
11 Jan 2013 11:13PM
Fascinating stuff Brian. Will have to give that try - I wonder what the cats will make of bubbles being blown at them... Wink
brian1208 e2
12 Jan 2013 4:52AM
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I have just spotted the work by a master in this "art" of creating bubble Planets, Jason Toser who has progressed it to an amazing degree (I knew I couldn't be the first).

Have a look at these: here (and I see there are many comments at the bottom about who really started this genre, I am but an egg! Smile

My god, look at the kit he uses, no wonder they are so good:

Quote:Tozer tells us that he uses a Hasselblad 503CW and a 135mm macro lens mounted on a set of extension bellows. The camera is equipped with a 65-megapixel PhaseOne digital back. He also made a huge 23-meter perspex dome for the lighting
brian1208 e2
12 Jan 2013 5:10AM

Quote:I wonder what the cats will make of bubbles being blown at them...

Our two Burmese used to love chasing bubbles and pulled the most amazing faces if they caught one in their mouth Grin
brian1208 e2
12 Jan 2013 6:43AM
I've completed the first draft of part 2 covering lighting and hope to complete it with shooting details later today, its here

Once again, any input on content or ****-ups would be appreciated
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2013 10:29AM
If you were able to set up the black base and bg inside a light tent,
would this get you over the problem with the softbox join reflections?
brian1208 e2
12 Jan 2013 10:44AM
Thanks Andrew, should add that to my blog, I have tried your idea and simply got a different set of reflected problems.
I think the trick will be something like Jason Tozer does which is to use a huge dome to diffuse the light and do away with reflections.
I'm wondering abut trying with some of my big muslin diffusers to see if I can do something similar but that's for a lot later, once I have explored all the options with my small set-up
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2013 11:01AM
Ah okay.
My only other thought would be to follow Jason's lead and create a dome from polyester resin,
although you would need something of the right size to mould it to.
brian1208 e2
12 Jan 2013 11:31AM
Fun trying to think up solutions isn't it Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.