Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bluebells, Bluebells, Bluebells

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StephenBrighton

This morning I noticed bluebells growing alongside a railway track in Surrey.

Where have you spotted Bluebells this year, when do you expect to see the best "purple haze" and what tips to you have to capture the best shots of this wonderful plant?

Thanks

Stephen

p.s. I hope to out with my camera in Sussex this Sunday on the hunt for them

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Apr 2009 - 5:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 5:53 PM

We have several really decent patches in Clumber Park along the road side, also in woodland around Shireoaks and in the Wood at Rufford Abbey.

Get down to ground lever and look around without taking shots first. Then you can spot isolated stems with good backgrounds. Use a longer lens to throw the background out of focus.

I did a video on epz.tv about using a 500mm for bluebells last year. It's worth a look.

When shooting scenes rather than individually include some other detail to prevent it being just a blue carpet of colour. I often use overhanging branches with lush green leaves to contrast and create more impact. Or I find a tree trunk (silver birch looks good) placed on a third to the left or right works well.

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 6:05 PM

The master speaks......
Am hoping to get to Clumber in the next few days or so to bag some myself, i think i will spot you Pete, laying on the floor Wink

cdm36
cdm36 e2 Member 10390 forum postscdm36 vcard England7 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 6:49 PM

Quote: i think i will spot you Pete, laying on the floor

Thats only because he's looking for the change people have dropped Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 6:52 PM

Quote: Am hoping to get to Clumber in the next few days or so to bag some myself,

Try the road from the A1 Round about down towards Rufford Abbey on the right it's usually very good

Quote: Thats only because he's looking for the change people have dropped

Damn, you knew? Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 7:05 PM

Overcast conditions, even perhaps a slight drizzle are better than bright sunlight.

Although tempting, as it looks good by eye, a carpet of just solid bluebells does not usually look so good on a transparency.
I believe it needs breaking up a little with, if you are lucky some other wild flowers.

Low down looking up a slope with backlit green leaves of trees is nice.

Oh, just a thought as it may suite your style, how about some macro shots / creative long exposures with the sense of movement ?

Kris_Dutson
14 Apr 2009 - 8:06 PM

Use a polariser to kill the shine from the foliage which is evil on bluebells. This lets the colour of the flowers show to perfection.

aftertherain
14 Apr 2009 - 8:16 PM

Up North we don't get bluebells flowering until the middle of May!

jeanie
jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 8:25 PM

some out behind my house too - discovered this evening. Smile

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 9:57 PM

Quote: Some out behind my house too - discovered this evening

Bit of a trek from Brighton though Wink

bfgstew
bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 10:48 PM

Here's my latest effortlink
Low down, no wind, f2.8 and choose your B/G carefully.

kaybee
kaybee  103795 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
14 Apr 2009 - 10:54 PM

The UV light affects the reflected colour which is why overcast conditions are best

MeanGreeny
15 Apr 2009 - 10:19 AM

Quote: Some out behind my house too - discovered this evening.

Was at Abbeystead on Sunday Jeanie - no sign of them flowering there yet and it's a riot of them when they get going

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2009 - 12:11 PM

Saw a few out in a hedgerow here in Northamptonshire. So off to the woods on Sunday to have a look to see if the main lot are out.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Apr 2009 - 12:14 PM

Priory Wood near Portbury/Bristol is locally renowned for it's display of Bluesbells. and I can add that it's just beginning to come to life with the flowers. BTW take an evening visit there and find the correct location and you may even be lucky enough to catch sight of the resident Badgers.

Ade

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.