Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Bluebells, Bluebells, Bluebells

This morning I noticed bluebells growing alongside a railway track in Surrey.

Where have you spotted Bluebells this year, when do you expect to see the best "purple haze" and what tips to you have to capture the best shots of this wonderful plant?

Thanks

Stephen

p.s. I hope to out with my camera in Sussex this Sunday on the hunt for them

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
14 Apr 2009 5:53PM
We have several really decent patches in Clumber Park along the road side, also in woodland around Shireoaks and in the Wood at Rufford Abbey.

Get down to ground lever and look around without taking shots first. Then you can spot isolated stems with good backgrounds. Use a longer lens to throw the background out of focus.

I did a video on epz.tv about using a 500mm for bluebells last year. It's worth a look.

When shooting scenes rather than individually include some other detail to prevent it being just a blue carpet of colour. I often use overhanging branches with lush green leaves to contrast and create more impact. Or I find a tree trunk (silver birch looks good) placed on a third to the left or right works well.
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
14 Apr 2009 6:05PM
The master speaks......
Am hoping to get to Clumber in the next few days or so to bag some myself, i think i will spot you Pete, laying on the floor Wink
cdm36 e2
10 391 7 England
14 Apr 2009 6:49PM

Quote:i think i will spot you Pete, laying on the floor

Thats only because he's looking for the change people have dropped Wink
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
14 Apr 2009 6:52PM

Quote:Am hoping to get to Clumber in the next few days or so to bag some myself,

Try the road from the A1 Round about down towards Rufford Abbey on the right it's usually very good

Quote:Thats only because he's looking for the change people have dropped

Damn, you knew? Wink
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
14 Apr 2009 7:05PM
Overcast conditions, even perhaps a slight drizzle are better than bright sunlight.

Although tempting, as it looks good by eye, a carpet of just solid bluebells does not usually look so good on a transparency.
I believe it needs breaking up a little with, if you are lucky some other wild flowers.

Low down looking up a slope with backlit green leaves of trees is nice.

Oh, just a thought as it may suite your style, how about some macro shots / creative long exposures with the sense of movement ?
Kris_Dutson e2
12 8.2k 1 England
14 Apr 2009 8:06PM
Use a polariser to kill the shine from the foliage which is evil on bluebells. This lets the colour of the flowers show to perfection.
Up North we don't get bluebells flowering until the middle of May!
jeanie e2
10 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2009 8:25PM
some out behind my house too - discovered this evening. Smile
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
14 Apr 2009 9:57PM

Quote:Some out behind my house too - discovered this evening

Bit of a trek from Brighton though Wink
bfgstew e2
8 668 105 England
14 Apr 2009 10:48PM
Here's my latest effort link
Low down, no wind, f2.8 and choose your B/G carefully.
kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
14 Apr 2009 10:54PM
The UV light affects the reflected colour which is why overcast conditions are best
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
15 Apr 2009 10:19AM

Quote:Some out behind my house too - discovered this evening.

Was at Abbeystead on Sunday Jeanie - no sign of them flowering there yet and it's a riot of them when they get going
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
15 Apr 2009 12:11PM
Saw a few out in a hedgerow here in Northamptonshire. So off to the woods on Sunday to have a look to see if the main lot are out.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
15 Apr 2009 12:14PM
Priory Wood near Portbury/Bristol is locally renowned for it's display of Bluesbells. and I can add that it's just beginning to come to life with the flowers. BTW take an evening visit there and find the correct location and you may even be lucky enough to catch sight of the resident Badgers.

Ade

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.