Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bluetooth help please ..

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    monstersnowman
    12 Sep 2008 - 9:53 PM

Just been looking at cheap bluetooth dongles that transfer data a distance of up to 150m (enclosed) and 350m (open) for 6 each and wondered if these are suitable for popping in my desktops upstairs and downstairs to do quick simple file transfers. The cost seems very good .. didn't put a link to the product as I suspect I am not allowed. Any techy help appreciated. Are there any other obvious uses for them apart from helping me download files from my mobile easily?? Thanks ..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Sep 2008 - 9:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82282 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2008 - 12:53 AM

I'm no tech expert, but I should imagine the answer is yes - however it still might not be the best solution for you. Have you considered a router? Mine allows both PC's to connect wirelessly and I've added a network drive to the router directly for easy transfer of files and backup - even when either PC is off. Just a thought.

Adam

Last Modified By sherlob at 13 Sep 2008 - 12:55 AM
    flyingseale
    13 Sep 2008 - 10:31 AM

Also no expert, but bluetooth range is typically just 10 metres. So check your other device to see what its range is because you won't be able to pair devices over 100m unless they both have this range.

monstersnowman
    13 Sep 2008 - 2:23 PM

Thanks for the replies .. yes both usb bluetooth dongle devices are rated at 150m in encosed areas so accounting for the world not being perfect they should still transmit from upstairs to downstairs ... the good thing is that they are 6 each and so far cheaper than buying a router and adaptor for my old computers and also they create a bluetooth link to the PCs for the family mobiles, which wouldn't be the case with a router. I presume that I would just need one router and one adaptor to create a link between both PCs ... which will be significantly more expensive than two cheap dongles. Any tecchies out there that can give a a definitive answer.

monstersnowman
    13 Sep 2008 - 10:47 PM

No tecchies??

dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108371 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Sep 2008 - 12:01 AM

Bluetooth devices come in three classes.
    Class 3 radios have a range of up to 1 meter or 3 feet
    Class 2 radios most commonly found in mobile devices have a range of 10 meters or 33 feet
    Class 1 radios used primarily in industrial use cases have a range of 100 meters or 300 feet

Depending on the version of Bluetooth used the data rate is between 1 and 3 Mbps.

It is possible to set up a network using Bluetooth as described here.

Hope that helps.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    monstersnowman
    14 Sep 2008 - 12:10 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciated. This is the spec of the devices that cost 6 each ...

Class:
    - Class 1

Range:
    - Upto 150m

Compliancy:
    - Bluetooth V1.1, V1.2 and V2.0, V2.1 compliant

Support:
    - Supports Win 98/98SE/ME Win XP Win 2000

USB:
    - USB UHC/OHCI spec 2.0 compliant

Other features:

- LED status indicator
    - Built in Antenna
    - Frequency band 2.4Ghz unlicensed ISM band
    - Max data rate 2.1MB
    - Sensitivity: -89dbm@0.1%ber
    - Language support for 12 countries including English, French and Chinese
    - Blister packaging includes; Bluetooth adapter & installation CD

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 14 Sep 2008 - 12:15 AM
    dougv
    dougv Site Moderator 108371 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Sep 2008 - 12:20 AM

Certainly worth having a try with them at the price.
    Hope it works for you.
    Smile

monstersnowman
    14 Sep 2008 - 1:42 AM

Worth a try .. if it turns out to have the transmission capabilities of two empty tins of baked beans and a piece of string then I will have done 12 and I will let you know ;0)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.