Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Bluetooth help please ..

monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
12 Sep 2008 9:53PM
Just been looking at cheap bluetooth dongles that transfer data a distance of up to 150m (enclosed) and 350m (open) for 6 each and wondered if these are suitable for popping in my desktops upstairs and downstairs to do quick simple file transfers. The cost seems very good .. didn't put a link to the product as I suspect I am not allowed. Any techy help appreciated. Are there any other obvious uses for them apart from helping me download files from my mobile easily?? Thanks ..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2008 12:53AM
I'm no tech expert, but I should imagine the answer is yes - however it still might not be the best solution for you. Have you considered a router? Mine allows both PC's to connect wirelessly and I've added a network drive to the router directly for easy transfer of files and backup - even when either PC is off. Just a thought.

Adam
flyingseale 7 400 3 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2008 10:31AM
Also no expert, but bluetooth range is typically just 10 metres. So check your other device to see what its range is because you won't be able to pair devices over 100m unless they both have this range.
13 Sep 2008 2:23PM
Thanks for the replies .. yes both usb bluetooth dongle devices are rated at 150m in encosed areas so accounting for the world not being perfect they should still transmit from upstairs to downstairs ... the good thing is that they are 6 each and so far cheaper than buying a router and adaptor for my old computers and also they create a bluetooth link to the PCs for the family mobiles, which wouldn't be the case with a router. I presume that I would just need one router and one adaptor to create a link between both PCs ... which will be significantly more expensive than two cheap dongles. Any tecchies out there that can give a a definitive answer.
13 Sep 2008 10:47PM
No tecchies??
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
14 Sep 2008 12:01AM
Bluetooth devices come in three classes.
Class 3 radios have a range of up to 1 meter or 3 feet
Class 2 radios most commonly found in mobile devices have a range of 10 meters or 33 feet
Class 1 radios used primarily in industrial use cases have a range of 100 meters or 300 feet

Depending on the version of Bluetooth used the data rate is between 1 and 3 Mbps.

It is possible to set up a network using Bluetooth as described here .

Hope that helps.
14 Sep 2008 12:10AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. This is the spec of the devices that cost 6 each ...

Class:
- Class 1

Range:
- Upto 150m

Compliancy:
- Bluetooth V1.1, V1.2 and V2.0, V2.1 compliant

Support:
- Supports Win 98/98SE/ME Win XP Win 2000

USB:
- USB UHC/OHCI spec 2.0 compliant

Other features:

- LED status indicator
- Built in Antenna
- Frequency band 2.4Ghz unlicensed ISM band
- Max data rate 2.1MB
- Sensitivity: -89dbm@0.1%ber
- Language support for 12 countries including English, French and Chinese
- Blister packaging includes; Bluetooth adapter & installation CD
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
14 Sep 2008 12:20AM
Certainly worth having a try with them at the price.
Hope it works for you.
Smile
14 Sep 2008 1:42AM
Worth a try .. if it turns out to have the transmission capabilities of two empty tins of baked beans and a piece of string then I will have done 12 and I will let you know ;0)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.