Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

blurb books

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2009 - 8:59 PM

i`m after some opinions ,has anybody bought any of these? i like the look of the heavier paper options , would particularly be interested on opinions of them

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Feb 2009 - 8:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

duratorque
    duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Feb 2009 - 9:43 PM

I had one printed a few weeks ago. The quality was good for the price, but print quality is not as good as real photos. Delivery took almost 3 weeks. The software was easy to use, but I would like option to change the standard layouts. The heavier paper is not much better than standard. Yes, its thicker but not much better. I think its the printing process that is limiting the quality.

boony
    28 Feb 2009 - 9:54 PM

cool thanks for that. can you recommend anyone else?

skydivemike
    28 Feb 2009 - 10:07 PM

Quote: I had one printed a few weeks ago. The quality was good for the price, but print quality is not as good as real photos. Delivery took almost 3 weeks. The software was easy to use, but I would like option to change the standard layouts. The heavier paper is not much better than standard. Yes, its thicker but not much better. I think its the printing process that is limiting the quality.

I can confirm all of the above. I used Blurb for a wedding I did a few months ago. The heavier paper is still not up the the quality of some others. I put the book in the bin.......

I can recommend Fotoinsight /Cewe photobooks if your are after decent quality at a low cost. If you want the top end for weddings etc try Graphic Studio or Colorworld Image.

Mike

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2009 - 10:42 PM

If you want a good cheap option with excellent picture quality and the ability to change the format to whatever you want then look no further than Aldi. I ordered one of their hardback photobooks with 26 pages of reasonable images of Morwhellan Quay just to see what it would be like. Have to say I was very impressed. The only drawback is the size is just under A4 for the hardback and would probably not be suitable for anything more than a good photograph album. I have a book on its way from Blurb. My prize in the EPZ xmas draw. I also was disappointed with the fixed layout. Waiting to see what the quality is like though but was very very pleased to win the prize. Smile

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2009 - 10:50 PM

Oops. Just looked at your website. Not sure that Aldi would be the one for you. Worth a look though for the cost of the prints, canvas etc. Wink

boony
    28 Feb 2009 - 11:08 PM

oooh no its not for that , it`s a pressie for the missus this one still want it to look good tho!! dont want all that branding all over it though. any good photo books with out branding would be of huge interest to me. will check the aldi stuff out , like aldi buy my butties from there on my dinner

janeez
    1 Mar 2009 - 12:38 AM

No branding on thier books so your good lady will be none the wiser and you will have saved a few bob too. Everyone's a winner!

boony
    1 Mar 2009 - 12:58 AM

Quote: You can design your pages for Blurb books in Quark, InDesign, Photoshop etc then save them as 100% quality jpeg and get round the limitations of the Blurb software that way.

nice one chris

agoreira
    agoreira  116001 forum posts Wales
    6 Mar 2009 - 1:21 PM

We can only speak as we find, and having done a few Blurb books, I have no complaints with the printing. My brother in law is a printer, and I thought he'd find fault if anyone would, but he was very impressed. I have taken a great amount of trouble with each shot, individually resizing, sharpening etc, and found it time well spent. There's part of an independant review here,

Quality:
    Simply looking through the Blurb bookstore or taking a guided tour through the demo is proof enough of the caliber of professionalism and quality that each Blurb book offers.
    Best of all, Blurb backs each book with generous return, refund and reprint policies, taking those extra steps to ensure the quality and integrity of each photo book.
    Summary:
    Blurb stands head-and-shoulders above most photo book publishers, providing a unique set of tools and applications to craft professional-grade, memorable photo books that are ideal for both personal and commercial purposes.
    Although it lacks the sizing and binding options, as well as the community aspects of the top-rated sites, with a few improvements to both areas, Blurb would easily be a “TopTenREVIEWS Gold Medal
    Award” contender.

jimthistle73
    6 Mar 2009 - 1:27 PM

Hmmm - still waiting for a three book order which was marked as 'shipped' on the 4th of February. Blurb have passed the buck onto the Swiss Postal service (?!?!).

If you do use them, make sure you go for the trackable shipping option.

Tricia
    Tricia e2 Member 9325 forum postsTricia vcard Ireland
    6 Mar 2009 - 4:14 PM

See the EPZ buyers guide here

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.