Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Blurriness

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rosalielillian5

I have a Nikon D70, and I can't get good pictures at night. For rodeos, I have to take fast action shots and they turn out perfect in the afternoon, but once the sun starts to set and the outdoor stadium-type lights come on they turn out super blurry. I have tried changing the setting to 'night' but that doesn't help. I can't use a flash because then I can't take multiple shots in a row. Any ways I can fix this?

I have included two different pictures that show the difference between the ones that were taken with natural light and the ones that were taken at night with the stadium-light.range-days-2012-1-409.jpg
    range-days-2012-1-124.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Aug 2012 - 8:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
    24 Aug 2012 - 9:52 PM

It's movement blur, you need to up the shutter speed in order to freeze the action as you have in the second shot. In order to do this later in the day when there is less light about you will need to either increase the ISO open up the aperture to allow more light in or a combination of both. Don't forget when you open up the aperture you will decrease you depth of field so make sure you focus on the subject you want in focus otherwise it will be blurry due to being out of focus.

Have a look at the settings from the 2 shots above by looking at the exif data, see what shutter speeds you have you should find the blurry one has the shutter open much longer than the second shot

It's worth trying Camera Simulators online, http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=camera+simulator&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&...

Follow that link and try a few to give you an idea how the settings affect you.

Also if you have your camera set to auto try some semi auto modes and set the shutter speed or aperture yourself, then try it on full manual. You can practice on any moving objects such as people or vehicles, that way you will get to know how shutter speed, aperture and ISO affect your images. Some movement blur isn't always a bad thing as it can add a sense of speed or motion to a shot.

Good luck

Stuart

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 24 Aug 2012 - 9:54 PM
    MrGoatsmilk
    24 Aug 2012 - 9:56 PM

Also have a look at some if the techniques here you will find them very helpful

http://www.ephotozine.com/learn/techniques/sports-and-action-73/p-0

puertouk
    puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 9:58 AM

It's easy to get over this, just ramp up your shutter speed (250 - 750 sec) and your ISO (400 - 800). f2.8 if you have a lens that will go that low. Use spot metering. You will find with a little trial and error you will then get your shots.
    Stephen

User_Removed
    25 Aug 2012 - 10:01 AM

Actually, the blurry one is a fantastic shot. Maybe not what you wanted - but a fantastic shot nevertheless.

As Mr Goatsmilk says, it is all down to shutter speed. Look to see what shutter speed your second shot was taken at and then set that shutter speed in Shutter Priority mode. You may (almost certainly will) have to ramp up the ISO and also use your lens at a wide aperture, so don't expect quite as good image quality or a great depth of field. If your camera/lens combination won't allow you to use as fast a shutter speed as in the second one, don't worry about a wee bit of blurring in the fastest moving elements of the scene - e.g. a bit of blur in the rear hooves of the cuddy might actually add interest to the image.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Aug 2012 - 10:05 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.