Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Blurry Close ups Olympus ZX-1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
paulas
paulas  Austria
26 Apr 2013 - 8:23 PM

How do I take close ups of things without them being blurry? I press the shutter down to the middle until it focuses but it quickly goes blurry again.
I am using an Olympus ZX-1. I am not an experienced photographer and I normally use the setting SCN Cuisne with flash.
Also how do you adjust to get the foreground in focus and the background not or vice versa?
Any tips would be great.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Apr 2013 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cheddar-caveman
26 Apr 2013 - 8:27 PM

It sounds as though you are too close to your subject and the lens can't focus - come back a bit. Also remember that your DOF will be very shallow close in and you therefore need a small aperture to compensate. Doing that you need a slower shutter speed so use a tripod!

paulas
paulas  Austria
26 Apr 2013 - 8:43 PM

Hi, thanks for your answer.

If I go back a bit then I get things in the picture which I do not want, the plate for instance.
I am very new to this so what is a DOF?
How do i set a small aperture? What is a small aperture.
I think I need to invest into a photo course LOL!

Hopefully I will learn by doing until then!

cheddar-caveman
26 Apr 2013 - 9:01 PM

Sorry - I just looked up your camera and not what I thought! OK, DOF - Depth of Field - the range between which the image will be in focus. You cannot set your aperture so forget that!
What are the "things" you are trying to get close to - "plate" comes into the shot??

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3583 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 - 9:03 PM

Silly question, but have you put it in macro mode?

paulas
paulas  Austria
26 Apr 2013 - 9:31 PM

@joshua yes I have put it in macro mode, doesnt help.

Ive attached a photo

.p4220155.jpg

Coventryphotog
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 - 9:43 PM

Back up a bit and try again Smile you are too close....

paulas
paulas  Austria
26 Apr 2013 - 9:54 PM

@ Coventryphotog I know but I would like to avoid having the plate etc. in the picture. Is there no way to get a real close up?

Coventryphotog
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 - 10:23 PM

Start by backing off and taking focussed images then think about getting closer using macro mode, or super macro if your camera has such. You can always crop the plate out of your shot....

Look in your manual to see what modes are available to you.

Last Modified By Coventryphotog at 26 Apr 2013 - 10:24 PM
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3583 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
26 Apr 2013 - 10:23 PM

You should be able to focus on subjects 1cm away from the front of the lens, using the super-macro focus option.
Are you able to try a different subject - such as your computer screen? If it fails you may need to try manual focus?

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41106 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 11:28 PM

Quote: Back up a bit and try again you are too close....

Spot on advise, look at the fork it is starting to focus yet it's in the background, this is a good example of you being too close the the subject.
Every lens has a minimum focus distance and yo can find this info on the lens instructions.

if you have difficulty getting subject sharp, back up, simples.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 1:28 AM

It does not look to me like the camera is set to super macro mode, if it was you would not be seeing that fork at all.

I don`t own a XZ-1, only a Fuji x10 but does have a super macro mode, and that needs to be set.

This toad was tiny, smaller than a 50p coin, dof is very shallow.

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/paul-morgan-599/gallery/photo/---25391790

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 1:40 AM

Should have added, unless you set super macro mode in the menu it will not let you focus in super macro mode.

cheddar-caveman
27 Apr 2013 - 7:56 AM

Looking at your photo, the fork in the background is in focus so as I said at the start, you are too close!

Looking at the overall size of the picture, your lens seems to be fairly "wide angle". Can you get back from the plate and then use your zoom to bring it closer?

In the manual it should tell you the different minimum focus distances for the different zoom positions. Your lens covers 28mm - 112mm. I suspect that picture was taken at 28mm? Stand back physically and zoom in - experiment with different distances/different zoom positions.

paulas
paulas  Austria
27 Apr 2013 - 2:18 PM

Thank you all, That is some real solid advice there. I will experiment with these things.

Once I have mastered these things I will more than likely be posting some new 'Beginner' Questions.

Have a good day all.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.