Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Blurry Close ups Olympus ZX-1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cheddar-caveman
27 Apr 2013 - 5:31 PM

You're welcome paulas, that's what we're here for and that's the way we all learn. We were all in your shoes not that long ago!
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask anything!Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Apr 2013 - 5:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 7:07 PM

Quote: Looking at your photo, the fork in the background is in focus so as I said at the start, you are too close!

Impossible, like I said if that lens had been set to super macro mode you would not be seeing that fork, dof will be extremely shallow and that fork would be out of range to focus on.

Not sure how super macro is set up on the XZ-1, either via the menu or some custom button, but it will need setting.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 7:21 PM

Page 36 of the manual here

paulas
paulas  1 Austria
27 Apr 2013 - 9:36 PM

So I have been doing a bit of practice. I have found that the camera has a digital zoom which allows me to hold the camera back and zoom in closer. Its a start. I shall play with that for a bit and see what happens. One step at a time Wink

@joshwa I have found the super macro but I am not able to use the flash with it so the picture comes out dark (on setting P), a picture of the Computer screen comes out ok..

@Paul that photo is amazing, what were your settings on that? When I have it on super macro the picture comes out dark.

Its fun when something works Grin

Paul Morgan
27 Apr 2013 - 9:54 PM

You will need plenty of light as the flash will be disabled, try in aperture priority mode and pick a quite wide aperture.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
27 Apr 2013 - 10:04 PM

All the digital zoom is doing is cropping to the centre of the frame. You are losing quality in the same way you would if you cropped the wider picture in Photoshop.

Better to utilise the macro mode as Paul says - that will give a full-quality image with more information to work with. You also get much closer, which seems to be what you want.

Nick

Paul Morgan
27 Apr 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yes much better using the super macro mode, click on the "here" link I gave a couple of post ago and download the PDF manual, the instructions are on page 36.

paulas
paulas  1 Austria
27 Apr 2013 - 10:46 PM

Ah yes I have seen that now. Back to the drawing board.

I Have the instruction manual thanks, so much info though and all really confusing :/.

@Paul how do I pick a wide aperture?

paulas
paulas  1 Austria
27 Apr 2013 - 10:51 PM

Ah I have found that it is the F number isnt it, my lowest is 1.8. It is a little brighter but still not really bright enough. Any tips?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi Chris! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.