Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"Bokeh" - how do you pronounce it?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ItsOurYear
3 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Having seen "Bokeh" mentioned on here a few times, I always thought it was pronounced "Bokey" (to rhyme with "Jockey") but have been listening to a photography podcast from the US on the way in to work and they're pronouncing it "Boka" (to rhyme with "Joker").

Which is correct (or are both wrong) - is this another example of two countries separated by a common language (vis a vis "Van Gogh" v "Van Go")?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

More like two countries seperated by a bloody stupid word.

Geoffphoto
3 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

I just looked up Bokeh in the dictionary but the entry was blurred..........

HowardA
HowardA  7231 forum posts
3 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

Interesting one. It's originally from Japanese and I think in their language would be pronounced bo (as in bomb) and keh (as in Kent). Not that I'm suggesting anyone bombs Kent Wink. I've also heard it as bo (as in boat) and keh (Kent again)! Any more for any more?
lol at Geoff. I guess you might prounce it in slightly more muffled tones if you were standing further away.

Last Modified By Dave at 3 May 2007 - 11:39 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123897 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

Where the XXXX that stupid pretentous word came from I can't imagine .... couldn't give a stuff how it is pronounced unless it is b0!!0cks

User_Removed
3 May 2007 - 1:00 PM

I thought it was pronounced bukkake...

Geoffphoto
3 May 2007 - 1:03 PM

Quote: I thought it was pronounced bukkake...

Well we all know what websites you frequent now, James !!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2007 - 1:05 PM

I thought it was pronounced "bucket" as in Hyacinth Bucket.

;-D

Last Modified By Dave at 3 May 2007 - 1:06 PM
keith selmes
3 May 2007 - 3:47 PM

I would use one of the HowardA pronunciations, but I think his first one is nearest to japanese pronunciation.
Not that I've ever needed to pronounce it.

c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2007 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Where the XXXX that stupid pretentous word came from I can't imagine .... couldn't give a stuff how it is pronounced unless it is b0!!0cks

Well it's shorter than saying 'the degree and quality of background blur generated by differential focussing'... but God forbid that we accept that foreign words into the English language...

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
3 May 2007 - 4:19 PM

Quote: Where the XXXX that stupid pretentous word came from I can't imagine

Japan, I believe. Wink

Any Japanese-speaking people on the forum care to enlighten us as to the correct pronunciation?

Doug

Last Modified By Dave at 3 May 2007 - 4:20 PM
Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2007 - 4:26 PM

Cut the grass
Mow de lawn
---who cares as long as the meaning`s put acrossSmile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2007 - 4:28 PM

You can read all about it here, by the chap who claims to have invented the spelling in 1997!

Last Modified By Dave at 3 May 2007 - 4:29 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
HowardA
HowardA  7231 forum posts
3 May 2007 - 4:58 PM

Good link. "BoatKenneth" it is then. Wink

Carabosse
3 May 2007 - 5:17 PM

Looks that way! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.