Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

"Bokeh" - how do you pronounce it?!

Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
31 Dec 2012 12:24PM
So, that's bokeh sorted. Now how the hell do you pronounce 'aji'?? Wink

"It is a Japanese word meaning, roughly, "fuzzy," and it is used to describe old people with cobwebs in their heads among several other things including the out-of-focus areas of photographs, which, I'm told, might more specifically be referred to as "boke-aji."

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
31 Dec 2012 3:20PM

Quote:Boka rhymes with Joker??

Quote:

Not if you're Scottish

...or if you hail from Indiar.

Wink

....and let's not get back into the debate about whether Nikon is pronounced "Nye-con" (as in America) or "Nick-on" (as in the educated world).
what a load of DOFTongue
12 Jan 2013 1:00AM
Bokeh (verb) : [from the Japanese boke ボケ, "blur"] the appearance of out-of-focus areas in an image produced by a camera lens
From M/Webster Online Dictionary...enjoy Leftform's ....comment about the lack of education over here. Smile
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Jan 2013 10:25AM
We have a contributor on here going by the name of OldBlokeh.

I think he should have the definitive last word on this subject.

Wink
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2013 10:33AM
You called?

Bokeh same as blokey. Tongue
18 Feb 2013 8:44PM

Quote:Having seen "Bokeh" mentioned on here a few times, I always thought it was pronounced "Bokey" (to rhyme with "Jockey") but have been listening to a photography podcast from the US on the way in to work and they're pronouncing it "Boka" (to rhyme with "Joker").

Which is correct (or are both wrong) - is this another example of two countries separated by a common language (vis a vis "Van Gogh" v "Van Go")?

Its universally pronounced as "Bow-Ka". Bokeh is simply the subjective quality of the OOF blur in a photo, but it should not be confused with the subjective quality of the OOF highlights in a photo...They are two different things. A lens can have great bokeh but awful OOF highlight quality, and visa versa. For instance, fast Aspherical lenses often have great bokeh quality but they usually suffer from ugly "onion ring" OOF highlights. Older double gauss designs are often not as sharp as Aspherical lenses but they usually manage to offer both great bokeh and nice smooth OOF highlight quality.

By the way, the yanks don't even know how to pronounce Nikon...Most pronounce it as "Nigh-Kon", instead of "Ni-Kon"!
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 10:27PM
Bow-ka as in bow tie, or bow of a ship? And it wasn't until I moved to England that I learned the Ford Ka is phonetically indistinct from the Ford Car. Vowels are much shorter and sharper north of the border Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
18 Feb 2013 10:46PM
Or is it pronounced the way the French pronounce Chalet, with an abrupt eh?Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
18 Feb 2013 10:48PM
It is Nighkon. It certainly isn't Neekon, is it?Wink
RogBrown e2
8 3.0k 10 England
19 Feb 2013 8:20AM
No it's Nickon. Tongue And re Bokeh - if I ever had occasion to use the word I'd pronounce it bow-kay.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Feb 2013 4:45PM
Surely under Japanese pronunciation it would be Nee-kon as in the way they pronounce Nippon as Nee-pon.
RogBrown e2
8 3.0k 10 England
20 Feb 2013 5:19PM
What do I know, I'm a Sony man myself. (Soh-nee) Smile
Gudgeon e2
7 128 England
20 Feb 2013 5:31PM
Shouldn't that be pronounced 'S-on-ee'? WinkWink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Feb 2013 6:42PM
The Japanese pronounce it more like Sohn-yee. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.