Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"Bokeh" - how do you pronounce it?!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
31 Dec 2012 - 12:24 PM

So, that's bokeh sorted. Now how the hell do you pronounce 'aji'?? Wink

"It is a Japanese word meaning, roughly, "fuzzy," and it is used to describe old people with cobwebs in their heads among several other things — including the out-of-focus areas of photographs, which, I'm told, might more specifically be referred to as "boke-aji."

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Dec 2012 - 12:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
31 Dec 2012 - 3:20 PM

Quote: Boka rhymes with Joker??

Quote:

Not if you're Scottish

...or if you hail from Indiar.

Wink

....and let's not get back into the debate about whether Nikon is pronounced "Nye-con" (as in America) or "Nick-on" (as in the educated world).

grahamnsealey
6 Jan 2013 - 10:14 AM

what a load of DOFTongue

AdoubtR2
AdoubtR2  1 United States
12 Jan 2013 - 1:00 AM

Bokeh (verb) : [from the Japanese boke ボケ, "blur"] the appearance of out-of-focus areas in an image produced by a camera lens
From M/Webster Online Dictionary...enjoy Leftform's ....comment about the lack of education over here. Smile

User_Removed
12 Jan 2013 - 10:25 AM

We have a contributor on here going by the name of OldBlokeh.

I think he should have the definitive last word on this subject.

Wink

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  2719 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Jan 2013 - 10:33 AM

You called?

Bokeh same as blokey. Tongue

sigmasd14
sigmasd14  3 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2013 - 8:44 PM

Quote: Having seen "Bokeh" mentioned on here a few times, I always thought it was pronounced "Bokey" (to rhyme with "Jockey") but have been listening to a photography podcast from the US on the way in to work and they're pronouncing it "Boka" (to rhyme with "Joker").

Which is correct (or are both wrong) - is this another example of two countries separated by a common language (vis a vis "Van Gogh" v "Van Go")?

Its universally pronounced as "Bow-Ka". Bokeh is simply the subjective quality of the OOF blur in a photo, but it should not be confused with the subjective quality of the OOF highlights in a photo...They are two different things. A lens can have great bokeh but awful OOF highlight quality, and visa versa. For instance, fast Aspherical lenses often have great bokeh quality but they usually suffer from ugly "onion ring" OOF highlights. Older double gauss designs are often not as sharp as Aspherical lenses but they usually manage to offer both great bokeh and nice smooth OOF highlight quality.

By the way, the yanks don't even know how to pronounce Nikon...Most pronounce it as "Nigh-Kon", instead of "Ni-Kon"!

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93426 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:27 PM

Bow-ka as in bow tie, or bow of a ship? And it wasn't until I moved to England that I learned the Ford Ka is phonetically indistinct from the Ford Car. Vowels are much shorter and sharper north of the border Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014199 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:46 PM

Or is it pronounced the way the French pronounce Chalet, with an abrupt eh?Smile

Last Modified By StrayCat at 18 Feb 2013 - 10:48 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014199 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:48 PM

It is Nighkon. It certainly isn't Neekon, is it?Wink

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 8:20 AM

No it's Nickon. Tongue And re Bokeh - if I ever had occasion to use the word I'd pronounce it bow-kay.

Last Modified By RogBrown at 19 Feb 2013 - 8:21 AM
keithh
keithh  1022554 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 4:45 PM

Surely under Japanese pronunciation it would be Nee-kon as in the way they pronounce Nippon as Nee-pon.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 5:19 PM

What do I know, I'm a Sony man myself. (Soh-nee) Smile

Last Modified By RogBrown at 20 Feb 2013 - 5:20 PM
Gudgeon
Gudgeon  7128 forum posts England
20 Feb 2013 - 5:31 PM

Shouldn't that be pronounced 'S-on-ee'? WinkWink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 6:42 PM

The Japanese pronounce it more like Sohn-yee. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.