Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Book recommendations

Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
16 Aug 2012 9:42PM
Just looking to download a few books for the hols any recommendations. Only stipulation it can't start 50 shades of ... (my wife's spent last month engrossed in all 3 Wink ) oh and nothing to do with photography!

I've got pretty eclectic tastes so won't rule anything out.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bfgstew 8 668 105 England
17 Aug 2012 1:04AM
11/22/63 by Stephen King, a tad on the long side (close to700 pages) but as with all SK books when you start you can't put it down.
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
17 Aug 2012 6:08AM
Thanks Stew
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
17 Aug 2012 6:35AM
Any of Nicholas Evans's 5 novels; he's one of the best authors I've read so far.

Denny
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 8:33AM
I've enjoyed the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo over the last year or so. Similarly the Steig Larrson trilogy if you haven't read it is definitely worth the effort. I have also enjoyed a couple of one off's lately: "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" (sorry can't remember the authors) have been recent and very enjoyable reads. From the past I can also recommend Joanne Harris (which reminds me - I must look for her recent work): the author of Chocolate, 5 Quarters Orange, Coast-liners etc. All lighthearted stuff, but entertaining yarns that can take you out of yourself.

Given you have listed Birdsong as your fav - have you tried the other Sebastian Faulks books? Birdsong is the strongest, but Charlotte Grey in particular is worth a read too.

Or if the above are not your cup of tea and if instead you fancy indulging in a guilty pleasure - for me teenage fiction fiction hits the mark (and lets face it - who doesn't like a guilty pleasure occasionally Wink). Look out for the Hunger Games series - quick reads but very entertaining (if a tad formulaic), I also love the Skullduggary Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

A.
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
17 Aug 2012 8:48AM
Thanks Denny & Adam,

I read Charlotte Grey recently, it was good, but wasn't quite in the same league as Birdsong. I've read the Steig Larrson trilogy they were very good. I will look at the other recomendations, thank you.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
17 Aug 2012 8:56AM
The Spider Shepherd books by Steven Leather & the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child should keep you going for a while if you like a bit of blood & thunder. Smile
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
17 Aug 2012 9:38AM
Anything by Joe Abercrombie gritty fantasy with alot of dark humourWink
rossd 11 1.1k England
17 Aug 2012 10:28AM

Quote:Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child should keep you going for a while if you like a bit of blood & thunder

I'll second that! Never heard of Lee Childs until several months ago when I read one of his books on a 9 hr flight to the US. Never saw the inflight movie as I was hooked. Apparently he is a Brit TV producer who was made redundant and then moved to the US.
sausage 10 267 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 11:16AM
Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett. One of the best books I have ever read. A fictional story but based on fact on how cathedrals are built!
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 11:24AM

Quote:The Spider Shepherd books by Steven Leather & the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child should keep you going for a while if you like a bit of blood & thunder.

....at last a like minded individual .....I'd given up hope Smile....my all time favourite SL book..."The Chinaman"

Rog...you will of course have read "Michael Connolly" and his best ever "9 Dragons"....don't be put off by the title Smile

...one of the few benefits of the onset of senility, I can re-read all my all time favourite books Smile

.....Mike
17 Aug 2012 1:59PM
Mike, I've read The Black Ice, The Black Echo & Angels Flight by Michael Connolly but I can't for the life of me remember whether I enjoyed them or not. I suppose if I got past the first one I must have enjoyed it. I'm making a note to try 9 Dragons. Cheers.
213hardy e2
6 578 England
17 Aug 2012 8:09PM
I'd say Into thin air by Jon Krakauer or any of Mike Pannett offerings Tales of a Yorkshire Bobby, or An Ordinary Soldier by Doug Beattie.

Den
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2012 8:29PM
These Is My Words and The Help, although they are probably aimed more at women but I don't see why a man can't enjoy them.
18 Aug 2012 1:05AM

Quote:but I don't see why a man can't enjoy them.

Well I really enjoyed The Help.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.