Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Book recommendations please?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    shadow18
    shadow18  3406 forum posts England
    13 Dec 2012 - 2:31 AM

Well, I am just about finishing up Jane Eyre. I have been busy, so it's taken me a while to read it. I would like to start to read books more often instead of always spending my free time on the internet, which tends to suck up my time, then I don't even remember everything I did.

So, some choices I'm looking at are Wuthering Heights by Emily bronte, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, or mysteries of udolphus, which northanger abbey references.
    Anyone read these? Any other recommendations similar to my genre?
    I have read pride and prejudice, sense and sensibility, and persuasion. I have not read Emma or any other Jane Austen books in whole.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Dec 2012 - 2:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82275 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have read Jane Austen, and I enjoyed it - although I wouldn't rush back for more!

What is it you like about the genre? I am thinking you may like Charles Dickens - perhaps 'Oliver Twist', 'Great Expectations' or even a 'A Tale of Two Cities'. May be a good start would be 'A Christmas Carol' as it is more seasonal Grin

Happy reading...

Adam

emmaK22
    emmaK22 ePHOTOzine Staff 252 forum postsemmaK22 vcard United Kingdom
    13 Dec 2012 - 10:33 AM

Why not try some Dickens seeing as we're coming up to Christmas? 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Great Expectations' would be my recommendations.

If you liked Pride and Prejudice, then you'll probably like Emma, but having studied it at A level I found it a bit dry!

Hope this helps a little!

Emma

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2012 - 11:19 AM

Any Jane Austin books are a good read. I've read them all many a time.

AlexandraSD
    13 Dec 2012 - 12:03 PM

Awww, Jane Eyre is the best book I have ever read thats for sure, I didnt want it to end!

Wuthering heights is nothing like Jane Eyre, where Eyre is a gentle stroll through the park, Heights is a dangerous trek through a violent town. I didnt like any character in the book, they were all selfish, horrible, bad tempered, cruel, sadistic, malicious and cold. I know the book is a classic in English literature but i hated every page, I really did not enjoy the book and I still cannot figure out what made Emily write that.

Great Expectations I thought was a bit long winded, and Pip, by god he don't half moan a lot, he spends an awful lot of time feeling sorry for himself, I ended up wanting somebody to slap him hard!

Have not read Emma yet, but it is on my to read list, I still have not finished reading my current book by Jasper Fforde, but I will. One book i will recommend is War Of The Worlds, it is beautifullly written. like poetry. The original is set in victorian england, i ended up reading it within days, thoroughly enjoyed it, not your average sci-fi read at all, and not exactly in the Bronte period but definitely worthy of reading once, and it is far better than any film could ever portray.

shadow18
    13 Dec 2012 - 12:20 PM

Well, dickens is kind of too wordy for me. I read great expectations in class, and it may have prejudiced me against it that the whole class didn't like it. I have tried reading some others of his things on my own though. He is kinda just too wordy, though a Christmas carol is an exception! I love that one!
    Well, I like Jane austen because I like old-fashioned romance stories. It takes me to another world! And I like her characters! I like the bronte sisters so far because it's romance with gothic undertones. Depth to a story is something I really enjoy, which is why I am liking Jane eyre so much. It's really deep, and I feel really empathetic with Jane!
    Another genre, but to give you a feel for my taste, I LOVE lord of the rings!!!!! And the hobbit!!! I'm ridiculously excited to see the hobbit in movie, lol!
    I do like some modern books too, but I really like old-fashioned books. It gives more of a feeling of depth more often.
    Sarah, which ones did you like the best? I liked sense and sensibility the best of the 3 I have read.

AlexandraSD
    13 Dec 2012 - 12:33 PM

The Hobbit, read that more than any book i ever owned, the movie should be good Smile

Lord of the Rings was good too, took me 2 months to read all of them, worth it, though i did skip a few pages of hobbit song, i think most people do Grin

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2012 - 12:45 PM

If you like old Victorian times novels , have a look at some of the Anthony Trollope stories. They can be a bit dry for some tastes but the characterisation of the people is superb & quite satirical in some instances. Would give you a different slant on British religion in the Victorian age as well.

shadow18
    13 Dec 2012 - 3:09 PM

Yay! Glad to have found another hobbit fan!! Grin
    Yes, I skipped some hobbit song too, lol! It also took me a while to read. I tend to try to find books i really like or people have recommended to me, then i savor them because i dont want the story to end, if it's really good story!! Hobbits are so cute, are they not??! and they make me happy! Smile

Thanks Adrian! I will look him up! Smile I do like some satires! You all can tell me modern books you like too!! It doesn't have to be older ones.

shadow18
    13 Dec 2012 - 3:11 PM

*if it's a really good story*

AlexandraSD
    14 Dec 2012 - 12:14 PM

The Hobbit is magical, though its been a while now since i read it, its not as scary as LOTR but it does have its dark moments.

Ok, i cant name any modern books that are worth mentioning, but what about childrens books, like the Big Friendly Giant, or the Twits, both witty and also not too childish for adults to enjoy, there are complete box sets of Roald Dahl's books on amazon at a decent price, he was always my favourite author as a kid and i have been meaning to read his books again but now i dont even have time to finish my current read.

So, you like Tolkien, how about some Pratchett? Never read him myself but he seems to be very popular, could be worth a gamble Smile

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 1:28 PM

Quote: Yay! Glad to have found another hobbit fan!!

Lots of us around. Smile

Have you looked at some of the other Tolkein books? There is 'Tree & Leaf' amongst others. For a more serious read there is the Silmarillion, which details the early days of Middle Earth.

How about some science fantasy? Piers Anthony is one of my favourites, the Split Infinity trilogy is a good one to start with.

If you like books set in the 'olden' days, try CJ Sansom, his Shardlake books are pretty good.

Also another vote for Terry Pratchett, but you could end up with people thinking you are deranged as you sit there giggling. Smile

Hope that helps.

phil99
    phil99 e2 Member 744 forum postsphil99 vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 3:32 PM

You could try Thomas Hardy . Far from the Madding Crowd or Tess of The d'Urbavilles would be a good start . There are really plenty to choose from ....Phil

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014462 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 8:19 PM

You might get into James Michener. Every one of his books is a classic, or destined to be one. I read most of his books when I was much younger, but I could read them now. Some to try would be The Drifters, The Source, Hawaii, all big, enormous books, so they won't end too soon.Wink One bit of warning about his books; they all begin with describing a background in very much detail, but you have to persevere to get the excellent stories within.Smile

Another author who is a top favorite of mine is Jan DeHartog, a Dutch writer, who later became a Liturature Professor in New Jersey. His books are amazing. Here are a few; The Peaceable Kingdom, which takes place mainly in your part of the country; The Spiral Road, the story of a man who is at the end of his rope, but comes back to work as a missionay in a leper colony; and The Captain, which I have yet to read. All of his books are out of print, so the library would be your best source.

For a contemporary writer, one of my favorites is Nicholas Evans who wrote the Horse Whisperer, excellent.

Denny

shadow18
    16 Dec 2012 - 2:54 AM

Wow! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!! I am very happy that so many people have book ideas! Sorry I haven't gotten back until now. I was Christmas shopping with my adopted sister this weekend!
    Alexandra, it seems you and I have very similar tastes in literature! For the books which you described which i have read and am reading, I feel pretty much the same way you do about them!
    I can't believe that i may not have discovered Jane Eyre, because i LOVE Jane Eyre now! She is so deep and human and has such good character and is so feeling!! I think it is going to be my new favorite book!! and I REALLY dont want it to end, because then ill know all there is to know about the characters! And now im attached to them!
    Have considered reading more Tolkien books! I will keep that in mind. hmmm... may put off wuthering heights... may look into other books by Charlotte Bronte, since i love Jane Eyre.

hmmm... a few votes for Prachett, will probably check him out. i like a variety of genres, and sitting around giggling doesn't sound so bad to me!! Grin

Will continue to consider the other sugguestions as my brain becomes more organized. Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.