Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Boots the Chemist - film developing.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 11:32 PM

Quote: They use laser printers

Using traditional light sensitive paper and chemicals.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2012 - 11:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

smartwombat
19 Sep 2012 - 6:28 PM

I use CostCo for 35mm because they process in-store and I know who did it as they took the film from me.
Not much room for failure there.

pablophotographer

probably we discuss about different products: My 6x4 picture wouldn;t come back so quickly if it was to be printed from a bath system. I quote also their website:
"E6 film processing and mounting, C41 film processing and printing and Black and White film processing in both 35mm and 120 format are the products on which we made our reputation. More recently, digital photo printing has become the vehicle by which we maintain our enviable position as one of the UK's leading imaging centres."

but for some other products "True photographic prints are employed in products such as canvas wraps (Canvatex), acrylic displays, photo books and traditional frames. No inkjets printers are used at any point! All images are printed on true photographic Fuji Crystal Archive or Kodak Endura Metallic papers.

Printing photographs from film or digital media has never been as direct or accurate as we use the very latest in digital photo printing technology from both Fuji and Durst, international leaders in the industry."

pablophotographer

Despite all the problems of my vision I teamed up with a friend (Minolta fan himself also) and we went shooting yesterday. He was too tired after having helped a young lady to move to a city one hour away but after lending him a roll of BCN300 black and white film and an SLR we were unstoppable, haha. We finished shooting after 5 hours and we had coffee, chat and home made tapas and a pretty good alcoholic drinkcalled tsipouro. His son is into digital, can't understand why we do shot film.... I hope his dad prints will prove him that film can still kick ass.

I shall take my slide film to Boots tomorrow, I looked everywhere for the original packaging but after 3 moves in 2 years a film box and a postage envelop are too small to be found. If I am lucky to have it back done, as they had promised me they would honour the price I had paid for it (development was included in the price) I may get the chance to show you some of these pics!

pablophotographer

Update! I went today to collect from Boots, prints are not in store yet but they are on their way. I was told initially 7 days which I think it was soon for a slide film. The developing was included in the film price and had been paid, I was not told what price it would cost, will find out when the film arrives in a couple of days I was told. It's good they still develop it but bad they have stopped "producing" their own make. It was made in Japan so I thought it was made by Fuji.

pablophotographer

Today's news!!! The pharmacist called me today to go and collect the undeveloped film. It had been returned back after 9 days without being processed. I went to collect the film and I was told that the lab was not doing them anymore, they suggested me to go to a bigger BOOTS pharmacy with their own development facilities (they may have my size, lol). I was to go to the city centre so I thought I may be told the same but let's give them a chance. The man I had seen in the photo desk had told me that they would honour the developing, so I went and spoke to him presenting the envelop it had been sent to the lab/ It did have the marks for slide , the ticks spaces for mounted or not, it had seemed just right for the job. The employee saw the envelop and said, aww they should had sent it with a different type of envelop to a different address. He opened his book, gave them a call and told me that he can't send it himself. I had to post it myself, at my own expense to BOOTS Processing. PO Box 3102 Warwick, cv34 6zh. The slides would be returned then to my address, (I had to include that info in the letter I had to post out); THEN once I had them back I should take the film to the store to order prints. It is going to take 2 weeks for developing and2 weeks for printing he said, and by the way, it won't be matte paper. Sounds like a farce, the first Boots lab had my phone to ring me and get my details to send the film to their contractor or the other Boots E6 lab. I can't call this excellent customer service but let's hope the resulting pictures will ease the pain. Film? Only the brave.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
5 Oct 2012 - 7:57 AM

I dont go to boots WHY

GOOD old boots pay tax NOT here BUT in a small BUT RICH canton in switzerland you may NOT be asked to go there or send anything there as THEY HAVE NO SHOP just an accountant filling in tax forms.

OH FYI switzerland is not in the EU, but a jolly good way to evade rightful tax,

AS a FULL taxpayer and resident of the UK I now will never darken the boots doors, will you join me? AND BOYCOTT THEM?

so have you the gumption to follow my stand to make an ex BRITISH flagship company play fair and pay their full share?
only a share of what they earn in the UK?

remember a good part is from government prescription payments etc!

http://www.demotix.com/news/574372/boots-protests-alleged-tax-evasion-london

OH I AM THE REAL PABLO!

Last Modified By pabloisme at 5 Oct 2012 - 8:00 AM
pablophotographer

pictures arrived today, some look really nice Smile but my scanner (old Dell, at 300 dpi)produced it like this, ooops picture-fro--axp.jpg

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 6:41 PM

I have no idea what that is a picture of, but it looks really cool! Grin

Didn't know so many people still shot colour film - poor developing of colour neg film, and in particular the nightmare of spotting film after scanning, put me right off in the end. Great to know you're all still out there! The wide gamut of film does make it attractive, especially mono.

pablophotographer

It's the top of a fountain with a bird flying away from it Sue. Shot with a transparency Boots 200 iso film, which is not produced anymore. They were returned today with pitch black mounts so I think since the pic looks alright on the film it is a film issue. It' just the fact that this is my first film scan ever, using an old all-in-one printer. Learning? it's a process, Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 8:37 PM

RT(F)M It worked for me. I think but I would try to get a not brand new Epson Perfection. Not brand new, they are not necessarily expensive and I think they are pretty good for the price, though they do not hold the film totally flat. I'm sure others here have experience to share if you ask.

I think your scan looks a bit underexposed (which is odd, with all that black), and you seem to have scanned the slide carrier/mount too. If you crop in after the pre-scan, maybe it will just scan the actual transparency and adjust contrast for that. Then you probably need to set the resolution for upsizing (your scan will be 35mm and your output quite a lot larger) Or you could find one of the online places which scan your pics as jpegs at the same time as developing. Not massively cheap, but compares well with buying even a second hand scanner, depending on how often you are going to do it. And you have someone else to curse if things aren't quite the way you would like!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 8:45 PM

If you have a small light box or a small flat panel, invert it over the slide when you scan. Even better, remove the slide from the mount so it lies flat on the glass or you might get focus errors. Even a torch with a tissue to diffuse the light will help.

Or just get a scanner that scans slides! Even modestly priced models do 35mm, some do 120 too.

Nick

pablophotographer

The maximum resolution this scanner has is 300 dpi. I attempted earlier today to scan the transparency with a soft lamp over and from the side of the film, but the light overpowered the scanner's light so it came out totally white, lol. I had bought a dedicated film scanner a year ago (never used it till now) but was too impatient to scan it on the flat one scanner, have I spoken for patience before? bear with me!!!

pablophotographer

Nick do you know how to release the slide from the mount ?? I have searched in youtube, no result

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2012 - 10:23 PM

They are usually popped together in two halves, so you might need to split the mount to get it out. Sometimes the halves are stuck, sometimes they have little pins and recesses.

However, if you have a film scanner, it should do mounted slides just fine, and the scan will be an awful lot better.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.