Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Bought Nik Silver Efex. Can the same be achieved in PS Alone?

iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2013 3:55PM
I've bought the Nik bundle with Silver Efex.
Great fun to use but could every thing be achieved in CS6 alone if one has the skills, perseverance and time.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 Mar 2013 5:05PM
Possibly but it would be very tedious and difficult. I use Topaz which are similar to Nik Plug-ins. The image is analysed in various ways which certainly includes tonal level and colour. Local changes are then applied according the this analysis of the images. So in theory you could manually analyse different tonal ranges and apply different effects to each area but it might take hours to apply one effect to one image. The real value of these plug-ins is that you can rapidly try many presets to find an effect which is close to what you want. From there you can fine tune with the detailed sliders.

I am certainly tempted to buy the Nik bundle at this new price but hesitate because I have the Topaz bundle so I am not sure that I will be able to do anything that I cannot do now. Does anyone have both the Topaz and Nik bundles?

Dave
iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2013 5:14PM
I have topaz simplify which can produce poster effects and sort of arty things. I have not fully explored the Nik yet but I don't think it can do that. i got the Nik for the Silver Efex which I had tried out in the past. The price swung it for me.
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
30 Mar 2013 5:24PM
Yup Ian silver efex has a posterise effect in it basically just up the contrast tae the moon !! Grin
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
30 Mar 2013 8:51PM
I love the Nik software (Silver Efex Pro2, Color Efex Pro4 and HDR Efex Pro2), usually from within Lightroom, but I have to concede that none of those Nik (or Topaz) packages will do anything that you could not do in Photoshop CS6 if you had unlimited time, patience, knowledge and skill.

What they do do (do do?) is enable you to achieve the desired results much more quickly, simply and intuitively.

I reckon that a complex B&W conversion that might take me 3 - 5 minutes in Silver Efex Pro2 would take an unskilled Photoshop worker like me at least 2 hours in CS6.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2013 6:49AM

Quote:I reckon that a complex B&W conversion that might take me 3 - 5 minutes in Silver Efex Pro2 would take an unskilled Photoshop worker like me at least 2 hours in CS6.

I reckon an unskilled PS user would not be able to achieve the same results period.
I have the NIK plug ins and use them quite a bit but not all the time, if i do a conversion i will go to silver effects pro2 as it gives a wonderful easy conversion in comparison to PS.
Daffy1 e2
7 337 Ireland
31 Mar 2013 1:45PM
All my monos are done with Silver Efex. Have a look at my PF. Damian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.