Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bower Long Range Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dawnmichelle
    dawnmichelle e2 Member 6dawnmichelle vcard United States
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:05 PM

Bower Long Range 650-1300mm Zoom Lens for Canon EOS

Has anyone used this lens before and if so would you recommend it?
    It says it will work on all EOS camera's and the one I use is Canon Rebel XTi 400D... So this should work on the camera but don't want to pay for something that isn't worth the cost.

I am looking for something long range for wildlife etc and wasn't sure if this was worth the money.. can't find reviews on it .. so that raises a flag lol

Thanks
    Dawn
    xx

PS thanks Pete xx

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:14 PM

Found a Youtube video of a Nikon version. It appears to be an f8-f16, so wouldn't autofocus on the 400d (assuming it is an autofocus lens of course)

cameracat
    cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:23 PM

Personally I would avoid this lens, First up it has a maximum aperture of f/8, So your goint to need very good light ( probably good sunlight at least ) or you will have little or no shutter speed.

For wildlife you will need fairly fast shutter speeds, Especially small birds etc, Being stuck with a max of f/8 will seriously compromise your shooting, Or you will have to resort to very high ISO speeds, But here you will be compromising image quality.

If I where you, I'd save my money, Then have a look at the Canon 100 - 400mm L lens, Or the Sigma 120 - 400, or Sigma 150 - 500mm, All of which will give you better optical performance, Plus you will have the advantage of AF, And/or image stabilising.

Bottom line, Run away run away.....Smile

Quote: (assuming it is an autofocus lens of course

Its not, It mounts via a T42 adapter, No electical connections what so ever.

Last Modified By cameracat at 11 Jan 2010 - 11:27 PM
    big fella
    big fella  10484 forum posts England
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:28 PM

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! The quality of build will be poor, along with the results. In the video it does look awfully lightweight, so I doubt that it has many groups of elements! And it's manual focus too. Yuk! Sorry, but I wouldn't part with my hard earned $/ on it!

:0(

LensYews
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:31 PM

It was the way it appeared to bend in that video that made me wince.

I'd second Cameracat's advice both on the suggested lenses, and avoiding this one.

LensYews
    11 Jan 2010 - 11:59 PM

Looking at the price of this lens at around $349 and if budget is an issue, perhaps go for something like a 70-300mm. With a bit of field craft, you should still be able to get close enough for a lot of wildlife.

dawnmichelle
    dawnmichelle e2 Member 6dawnmichelle vcard United States
    12 Jan 2010 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the help... will look for something else ..And run away from this idea like I never had it Wink

Appreciate the comments so much !!

bigalguitarpicker

Sounds like the Opteka 500mmF8 lens. I was soundly abused and scoffed at for buying one ( cost about 85) Good fun on a sunny day, but that's all. You won't get high quality images from it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.