Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bridge cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MichaelTuska
22 Feb 2013 - 10:53 PM

What is the best BRIDGE camera out there? Giving the best images possible and having a reasonable zoom.
Would need to print up to A3 quality prints.

Panasonic FZ200 seems a good bet especially as it has RAW capabilities
Subjects: Travel, Street, Flora

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Feb 2013 - 10:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fogey
Fogey  168 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 12:54 AM

Whatever bridge camera you decide on get the best optical zoom you can. Digital zoom will only result in poor quality definition.

MichaelMelb_AU
23 Feb 2013 - 1:21 AM

There is no such a thing as the best camera overall. But for your purposes FZ200 will be fine - and possibly better than many others.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 23 Feb 2013 - 1:25 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 1:48 AM

I`d say the Fuji XS-1 with the 2/3" sensor, the FZ200 uses a tiny 1/2.3 inch sensor.

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013 - 11:39 AM

interesting hands-on review of Canon SX50 at Luminous Landscape

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 12:12 PM

Quote: Many years ago Ansel Adams wrote – "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept." Amen to that.

Quote: The camera for us is a tool, not a pretty mechanical toy. In the precise functioning of the mechanical object perhaps there is an unconscious compensation for the anxieties and uncertainties of daily endeavor. In any case, people think far too much about techniques and not enough about seeing.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

My own line, " What is better than what, When there is no base line, Image quality is not decided by the camera used "....Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 1:05 PM

Anything with a very long zoom has a compromised lens design.

That said, I have had decent results from the Panasonic TZ30...... 20x optical zoom - and beyond that to 40x using the "intelligent zoom" function (i.e. a zoom which uses interpolation).

What's more you can slip it into your shirt pocket! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 1:18 PM

Quote: What is better than what, When there is no base line, Image quality is not decided by the camera used "

For web use I guess its not going to matter, but he`s saying A3 prints and there been a fair bit of confusion over the new crop of camera`s with the 1/2.3" sensor as used by the new XZ-10 and other camera`s.

With some people mixing it up with the 2/3" sensor, there`s a huge difference, its so small its not even shown here.

4-untitled-1.jpg

Hence my reason for recommending the Fuji XS-1 over the Fuji FZ200.

Quote: Anything with a very long zoom has a compromised lens design

This goes for DSLR lenses as well CB, just that the problems get amplified with tiny sensors, as bridge camera`s go the XS-1 has certain advantages.

Quote: and beyond that to 40x using the "intelligent zoom" function

The OMD has this, I`ve set an fn button for it, I prefer it to the other focus zoom aid Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Feb 2013 - 1:24 PM
andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Feb 2013 - 5:34 PM

Quote: its so small its not even shown here

is it not 2nd from the right on the bottom row?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 5:40 PM

It may be worth looking at some of the EPZ reviews here.

The review of the Fuji X-S1 says the image quality is "fantastic".

Paul Morgan
23 Feb 2013 - 7:02 PM

Quote: is it not 2nd from the right on the bottom row?

Yes I noticed that as I was about to shut down the PC, a lot of these charts don`t show the smallest sensors.

Paul Morgan
23 Feb 2013 - 7:11 PM

The Ephotozine search feature is crap, found it impossible to find the EPZ review, used google and it found it straight away.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-s1-bridge-camera-review-18445

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2013 - 11:23 PM

Paul are you saying sensor size is really significant? You know the size of the 4/3 sensor is only about a quarter of the area of a 35mm format, don't you?

I think that sensor size does have a major bearing on IQ, all other things being equal - I just didn't expect to hear you confirming the point.

Paul Morgan
23 Feb 2013 - 11:27 PM

Aps C or M4/3 is plenty good enough even for pro use.

I`m talking about the compact camera`s where as most of these sensors are just tiny.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 1:46 PM

There's less difference in size between the two [snesors] you were discussing and 4/3 vs 35mm format.

As for APSc and 4/3 being good enough for Pro use, it depends on the application. No medium format cameras would be being sold if some Pros didn't feel they offered greater quality than smaller formats.

Similarly some Pros have used iPhones for commercial projects in some specific circumstances.

I'm not puzzled by the fact that most Pros prefer Hasselblads to smartphones. It's an unfortunate fact of life that in photography, at any given time, bigger almost always (in terms of IQ) means better. Although we might all wish it weren't so...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.