Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bridge cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315164 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 2:06 PM

lol You do go on Smile

Quote: As for APSc and 4/3 being good enough for Pro use, it depends on the application

In most cases no, it depends on the individual.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Feb 2013 - 2:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7763 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 3:09 PM

This is an extremely silly argument. To follow your logic, the most well equipped of professionals are merely compensating for incompetence.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 3:14 PM

Pros are usually about the last togs to change their ways! Wink

However this pro, amongst others, has shown that M4/3 cameras such as the Olympus OM-D can be used commercially.

Sensor-size is gradually becoming a bit of a non-issue: the quality of the pixels (so to speak) is more important. By way of example, the early digital Hasselblads were rather noisy, despite the MF-sized sensor.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315164 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 3:18 PM

Quote: This is an extremely silly argument. To follow your logic, the most well equipped of professionals are merely compensating for incompetence

Stop waffling crap and wake up, its about having kit fit for purpose, there are more than a few pro`s using kit that is not full frame Smile

Paul Morgan
24 Feb 2013 - 3:28 PM

Quote: There's less difference in size between the two [snesors] you were discussing and 4/3 vs 35mm format

No, if anything there is a far greater difference.

1-dx1.jpg

1-dx2.jpg

Paul Morgan
24 Feb 2013 - 3:44 PM

Quote: However this pro, amongst others, has shown that M4/3 cameras such as the Olympus OM-D can be used commercially

Yes and another here, but its more about vision not gear Smile

http://www.thenoisecast.com/2012/05/award-winning-photographer-giulio-sciorio-ta...
http://giuliosciorio.com/about/

ChrisV
24 Feb 2013 - 5:36 PM

I don't know what McGuilicuddy's arrangement is with Olympus, but the only surprise here is that it's taken so many posts to invoke his name. It's very, very predictable and it really proves no more than the YouTube clip that shows you can get reasonable looking studio shots (at resolutions that look OK for web use) with an iPhone and a mere several grands worth of lighting and a just a small team of stylists, makeup people and lighting assistants.

I like m4/3 gear - it's very convenient for carrying around and it is adequate for a lot of the work I do - it rarely makes a difference to the to what can be envisioned, content wise. But let's not get carried away. To insist that people spend a fortune on larger formats because of gullibility or inadequate technique just isn't plausible to anyone but the most self-deceiving.

Paul Morgan
24 Feb 2013 - 5:46 PM

Quote: I like m4/3 gear - it's very convenient for carrying around and it is adequate for a lot of the work I do - it rarely makes a difference to the to what can be envisioned, content wise. But let's not get carried away. To insist that people spend a fortune on larger formats because of gullibility or inadequate technique just isn't plausible to anyone but the most self-deceiving

Chris, what's all this about gullibility and inadequate technique, these are your words nobody else's, your must be living in some sort of fantasy world.

ChrisV
24 Feb 2013 - 6:57 PM

Perhaps you'd like to tell us then Paul why you think most professionals use larger format cameras if they don't offer any advantage over 4/3 format?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 7:05 PM

Why did most professionals start using 35mm film instead of medium format film? Wink

Give it a bit of time. Top pros like McGillicuddy are in the vanguard, that's all.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 24 Feb 2013 - 7:06 PM
ChrisV
24 Feb 2013 - 7:07 PM

Quote: Why did most professionals start using 35mm film instead of medium format film?

Convenience.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 24 Feb 2013 - 7:08 PM
Carabosse
24 Feb 2013 - 7:08 PM

Absolutely........... and that will apply to smaller sensors too as they are developed.

Fair to say that the likes of M4/3 can easily match, and indeed exceed, the quality of 35mm film on which pros earned their bread and butter, not so many years ago.

Paul Morgan
24 Feb 2013 - 7:35 PM

Quote: Perhaps you'd like to tell us then Paul why you think most professionals use larger format cameras if they don't offer any advantage over 4/3 format?

Perhaps you should explain your reasons for miss quoting, grow up.

ChrisV
24 Feb 2013 - 11:29 PM

Is Miss Quoting a Bond girl?

Paul, I know how to use the quotation facility here, if I didn't, there are these handy little marks on my keyboard and you'll know when I'm quoting something because it will have these "," before and afterward.

Now would you like to answer the question or can you think of some other way of avoiding it?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022904 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2013 - 11:40 PM

4/3 cameras are just another form of a generic image capture device. End of.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.