Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Bridge or mirrorless or entry DSLR ??

KatieR 10 6.2k 6
9 Sep 2010 10:42AM
I'm looking for a camera for my mother - a photographically challenged young pensioner! - so she can take photos and videos of my nephew.

She has an ageing Fuji compact which is quite slow and has a very limited zoom. It is fairly basic but the controls are small and the menus tricky. I get the feeling it scares her a little, but she does enjoy getting the photos.

I know what I would buy for myself to get better pictures, but this is a whole different ball game.

I'd like to get her something with:

a good long zoom
image stabilisation
decent video
built in flash
fantastic image quality - ok, that's for me!

and it can't be overly big and heavy as she has painful hands and a sore neck... bless!

I won't put a budget it on this at the moment, I'd just like some opinions of what to consider, whether bridge, mirrorless, or entry DSLR (and with what lens???).

All ideas welcome.

Thanks

Katie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Sep 2010 12:01PM
The DSLR option......Smile

A nice red one methinks.....!

The Compact solution....Smile

Yeah! I know they are all Pentax options.....Smile I'm a Nikon shooter, But since a brief encounter with a Pentax K-x, I was seriously impressed, Their current models are darned fine cameras, That have all you need and at prices you will not need a mortgage broker for......Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Sep 2010 12:14PM
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
9 Sep 2010 12:24PM
Thanks for those ideas - I've been trawling all the review sites and my head is spinning!!

Not quite sure about the red Pentax...

The SX200 looks good - I think I am kidding myself that my mother will use anything larger than a compact, so perhaps this type of "travel zoom" is where I should be looking.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
9 Sep 2010 12:37PM
I do think those long zoom compacts would be the one to go for, TBH.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Sep 2010 12:40PM
Canon Powershot SX200 IS

We had one of these for a while, Was not overly impressed, Not impressed enough to keep it......Grin

I ran some head to head shots against our old Ixus 60 ( a fairly old 6mega pixel model ) ....!!!!!

The results where suprising, I prefered the images produced by the Ixus 60, Despite the fact it has no IS, Or any other toys for that matter.

So it was Bye bye to the SX200 IS.......Wink

EDIT: An image shot with the old Ixus 60, Got a HC too.......Sadly it was not me using it at the time......Sad
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
9 Sep 2010 1:31PM
People's views about these cameras seem to be even more polarised than DSLRs!

One thing I am not keen on is a pop-up flash... I have problems with the one on my s90.
Thincat 7 616
9 Sep 2010 1:42PM
For a really good bridge camera I'd go for the Sony DSC-HX1 - always gets good reviews and has a huge zoom (under 300, 28-560mm zoom). For a really good compact I'd go for the Samsung WB650 (under 300, 24-360 zoom) which comes out well in tests. All have the features you specified, plus the Sony takes clever panoramic shots.
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
9 Sep 2010 2:38PM
Thanks.

Soooooo many models to choose from... should be a good thing, but just makes decisions more difficult!
Philo e2
4 87 83 England
9 Sep 2010 4:04PM
The Panasonic TZ8 has already been mentioned and would be my recommendation. I have it's predecessor, the TZ7, and it is very good. It certainly ticks all the boxes for you and is much easier to handle than a bridge. I have a DSLR also but there are plenty of shots in my portfolio from the compact. The screen is 10 times better than my DSLR and I think she will find the intelligent auto mode very user friendly.
Hope this helps.
Phil
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Sep 2010 4:09PM
I got rid of a bridge camera (Fuji HS10) in favour of a Panasonic TZ10 (successor to the TZ7). No regrets at all!

It goes everywhere with me.
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
9 Sep 2010 5:04PM
Thanks for the recommendations. Very useful.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Sep 2010 7:25PM
The Panasonic TZ7, or successor would be my choice, they don't come any more user friendly, and great video.
KatieR 10 6.2k 6
10 Sep 2010 9:15AM
If anyone is familiar with the Panasonic range, can they explain the nomenclature of the models... I am now deeply confused...!

TZ - small but big zoom
FZ - bridge type, huge zoom
FX - ?
ZX - ?
FS - most basic?

It's worse than their televisions!!!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Sep 2010 12:07PM
Best thing is probably to take a look at tha Panasonic range here .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.