Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bridge or mirrorless or entry DSLR ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 10:42 AM

I'm looking for a camera for my mother - a photographically challenged young pensioner! - so she can take photos and videos of my nephew.

She has an ageing Fuji compact which is quite slow and has a very limited zoom. It is fairly basic but the controls are small and the menus tricky. I get the feeling it scares her a little, but she does enjoy getting the photos.

I know what I would buy for myself to get better pictures, but this is a whole different ball game.

I'd like to get her something with:

a good long zoom
image stabilisation
decent video
built in flash
fantastic image quality - ok, that's for me!

and it can't be overly big and heavy as she has painful hands and a sore neck... bless!

I won't put a budget it on this at the moment, I'd just like some opinions of what to consider, whether bridge, mirrorless, or entry DSLR (and with what lens???).

All ideas welcome.

Thanks

Katie

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Sep 2010 - 10:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 12:01 PM

The DSLR option......Smile

A nice red one methinks.....!

The Compact solution....Smile

Yeah! I know they are all Pentax options.....Smile I'm a Nikon shooter, But since a brief encounter with a Pentax K-x, I was seriously impressed, Their current models are darned fine cameras, That have all you need and at prices you will not need a mortgage broker for......Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 12:14 PM

Canon Powershot SX200 IS

Sony DSC H55

Panasonic DMC TZ8

KatieR
9 Sep 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for those ideas - I've been trawling all the review sites and my head is spinning!!

Not quite sure about the red Pentax...

The SX200 looks good - I think I am kidding myself that my mother will use anything larger than a compact, so perhaps this type of "travel zoom" is where I should be looking.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 12:37 PM

I do think those long zoom compacts would be the one to go for, TBH.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 12:40 PM

Canon Powershot SX200 IS

We had one of these for a while, Was not overly impressed, Not impressed enough to keep it......Grin

I ran some head to head shots against our old Ixus 60 ( a fairly old 6mega pixel model ) ....!!!!!

The results where suprising, I prefered the images produced by the Ixus 60, Despite the fact it has no IS, Or any other toys for that matter.

So it was Bye bye to the SX200 IS.......Wink

EDIT: An image shot with the old Ixus 60, Got a HC too.......Sadly it was not me using it at the time......Sad

Last Modified By cameracat at 9 Sep 2010 - 12:42 PM
KatieR
9 Sep 2010 - 1:31 PM

People's views about these cameras seem to be even more polarised than DSLRs!

One thing I am not keen on is a pop-up flash... I have problems with the one on my s90.

Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
9 Sep 2010 - 1:42 PM

For a really good bridge camera I'd go for the Sony DSC-HX1 - always gets good reviews and has a huge zoom (under 300, 28-560mm zoom). For a really good compact I'd go for the Samsung WB650 (under 300, 24-360 zoom) which comes out well in tests. All have the features you specified, plus the Sony takes clever panoramic shots.

KatieR
9 Sep 2010 - 2:38 PM

Thanks.

Soooooo many models to choose from... should be a good thing, but just makes decisions more difficult!

Philo
Philo e2 Member 477 forum postsPhilo vcard England83 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 4:04 PM

The Panasonic TZ8 has already been mentioned and would be my recommendation. I have it's predecessor, the TZ7, and it is very good. It certainly ticks all the boxes for you and is much easier to handle than a bridge. I have a DSLR also but there are plenty of shots in my portfolio from the compact. The screen is 10 times better than my DSLR and I think she will find the intelligent auto mode very user friendly.
Hope this helps.
Phil

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 4:09 PM

I got rid of a bridge camera (Fuji HS10) in favour of a Panasonic TZ10 (successor to the TZ7). No regrets at all!

It goes everywhere with me.

KatieR
9 Sep 2010 - 5:04 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. Very useful.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014928 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 7:25 PM

The Panasonic TZ7, or successor would be my choice, they don't come any more user friendly, and great video.

KatieR
10 Sep 2010 - 9:15 AM

If anyone is familiar with the Panasonic range, can they explain the nomenclature of the models... I am now deeply confused...!

TZ - small but big zoom
FZ - bridge type, huge zoom
FX - ?
ZX - ?
FS - most basic?

It's worse than their televisions!!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2010 - 12:07 PM

Best thing is probably to take a look at tha Panasonic range here.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.