Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bridgewater carnival

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    phil_j
    phil_j  8133 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2007 - 12:14 PM

Hi everyone,

We are going to see the Bridgewater night time carnival on Friday, and I would love to try to record some of the sights whilst there.

I was wondering if anybody had any tips or advice as to the best way to photograph the carnival, it will be in the dark part of the evening with lots of very brightly lit carnival floats and people milling around.

I will be taking my trusty D50, and a 70-300mm lens along with the kit standard 18-55mm

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2007 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2007 - 12:27 PM

You have just reminded me as I was planning to go.

ahollowa
    ahollowa  101070 forum posts England
    8 Nov 2007 - 2:17 PM

Not sure of the speeds of those lenses as I shoot Canon but would assume them to be fairly slow. In this case you will need a flash (the on board may not surfice). The big floats are well lit and should provide enough light with out a flash but you will miss all the smaller entrants as these are not well lit.
    You will need to be there early and get a front row place (or know where you can get al high position) otherwise all you will have is peoples heads. This means (on a crop especially) the 70-300 is not really necessary. I shot last year on a 10D and 16-35. I had a 50 prime with me but this was too long most of the time.

And as with all events don't get so wrapped up the photography you forget to have fun. Somw of them floats are truely amazing.

Al.

phil_j
    8 Nov 2007 - 2:33 PM

Thanks Al, some useful tips there, I will be taking my flash gun as well.
    May see you there then Cole!!.

Phil

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2007 - 2:49 PM

Yes, I should be there with my 24-70mm.
    Just make sure your shutter speed is fast enough.

elowes
    elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2007 - 4:31 PM

Park in the old cellophane car park on the Bath Rd. 3 to Rotary for St Margaret's Hospice among other charities. Car park open at 4pm I believe though I won't be there until later.

If you are in a good position the standard lens will do. Last one I did I set the camera to 400 iso for the big carts (they are not called floats).

blackbird
    blackbird  7159 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2007 - 5:19 PM

If you can't make the Bridgewater carnival then don't forget there is a whole circuit of carnivals in Somerset, most of the carts turn out for most of the venues.
    I shall be at the Shepton Mallet carnival next Wed which will have fewer visitors than Bridgewater so better views hopefully Smile
    It is quite an experience
    Merille

phil_j
    8 Nov 2007 - 5:51 PM

Thanks for advice guy's, looking forward to it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.