Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Britain the worst

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Hoffy
Hoffy e2 Member 9212 forum postsHoffy vcard England16 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 8:07 AM

It's true.
Britain is now the worst place to be if you are a child out of the top 21 industrialized countries.

Bring back are values,
Bring back our kids,
Bring back our country.

Glad I am 48.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2007 - 8:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 8:10 AM

Quote: Bring back are values

Is that our values?

randomrubble
14 Feb 2007 - 8:20 AM

Quote: Bring back are values,
Bring back our kids,
Bring back our country.

Would that be the 'Victorian values' that had children, in poor houses, factories, up chimneys and seen but not heard at home...

Or the pre WWII values that meant there was no Free NHS

Or perhaps we should aspire to the dire overcrowding and poor quality housing stock of the 1950s and 60s...

Or the legal system that had no protected human rights before the 1998 Human rights Act. ( the UK implementation of an EU directive)

And note that the rest of europe does better maybe we could learn a few other things from them...

ofman
ofman  759 forum posts
14 Feb 2007 - 8:20 AM

yea, I agree. kids these days have it easier in some ways and tougher in others. easier in the sense that there's no war. they also know their rights (you can't smack em if you're a teacher and they're naughty), hell I got the slipper and various other smacks as a kid - and I'm only 29 now! tougher in the sense that they're getting mixed messages from schools and our culture - just where do british kids stand in the developing UK? their are fewer risk takers in our youth. as a parent i'm actively encouraging climbing trees, getting dirty etc etc, that's what I did! get rid of this sueing culture then we can all go back to having fun rather than worrying we're gonna be done for for someone tripping over our doorstep or some ****...

bring back our values? hell yea

User_Removed
14 Feb 2007 - 8:23 AM

Trouble with statements like 'Britain the Worst' is who says so and why.
Children, teenagers, men/women, mature men/women, old men/women, all see Britain differently.
Depends what you are used to.
You are a reflection of the life you lead.
Col

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 8:41 AM

At the top of the list: Holland, Sweden,Denmark

At the bottom: USA & UK

It seems that the countries that have embraced consumerism & "the discipline of the market" aren't as happy as those who haven't...ho hum.

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 9:01 AM

Not so sure my country should be at the top of the list. It's all very subjective, you know...

lobsterboy
14 Feb 2007 - 9:10 AM

You're just trying to stop us all piling over there on the next ferry Conrad Wink

Freefall
Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 - 9:12 AM

I was reading an article in the Metro this morning covering things such as fighting, drinking, smoking weed, sex, pregnancy, one parent families etc....to be honest Britains stats are pretty bad compared to a lot of other European countries, but they weren't as bad as I expected. That was until I read the small print - the interview base was 11, 13, and 15 year olds!

Duncan_E
Duncan_E  7199 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 9:25 AM

Quote: Trouble with statements like 'Britain the Worst' is who says so and why.
Children, teenagers, men/women, mature men/women, old men/women, all see Britain differently.
Depends what you are used to.

Nothing to do with perception, it was a study of teenagers covering stuff that's been mentioned like violence, underage pregnancy, drunkeness... and we're bottom of the list in Europe. Which is surely no surprise to anyone walking round council estates or city centres at night.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 9:37 AM

ooooh those council estates...nasty places - all of 'em
Wink

culturedcanvas
14 Feb 2007 - 9:45 AM

Watch it Henson ... otherwise I'll have some of the scroates come and nick the alloys off that mondeo of yours ....

Slum housing .... one of the UK's biggest industries

Smile

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2007 - 9:49 AM

Quote: Slum housing .... one of the UK's biggest industries

That and buying said slum housing, doing it up and pocketing a fat profit from selling it on. And if you don't, make sure you've got a reality show filming your every move and pocket a fat fee from that... :O)

Cynical, moi?

hotchef23
hotchef23  7134 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 - 9:56 AM

Slum housing

or as one person in a village where I USED to live(used) called it the lower cost housing area!

User_Removed
14 Feb 2007 - 10:40 AM

Quote: Nothing to do with perception,

It has everything to do with perception.....
Don't dismiss it out of hand.
We all put our own slant on everything we hear, read, see, watch etc.
A clip around the ear years ago is now violence etc.
Girls got pregnant just as much before....... it's just that we keep/use statistics.
Before they were unrecorded throughout the world.
It's a game for statistcians nowadays.....They prove everything & nothing.
Col

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.