Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

British Gas

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ted447
Ted447 e2 Member 142 forum postsTed447 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 2:14 PM

I have just received a letter from British Gas informing me of their new price increases, and correct me if I am wrong, but they are now going to charge a standing charge of 26pence a day, which is nearly 26 a quarter we have to pay before we use anything I also get my electric from them and the same applies to that, so that is 52 a quarter, I hope I have got this wrong, and it no use switching because they all follow each other.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Oct 2013 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PaulHolloway
PaulHolloway e2 Member 7PaulHolloway vcard Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 2:20 PM

Check out Ebico as they are the only energy supplier not charging a standing charge

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 2:26 PM

Quote: I hope I have got this wrong, and it no use switching because they all follow each other.

There are quite a few fixed rate deals out there - its always worth the 10 minutes or so to go through the comparison sites and see what you would save, its pretty easy to do now all the details are on your bill.
if you have never switched then you would be likely to save a fair bit and if you combine gas & electric even more.

collywobles
21 Oct 2013 - 2:42 PM

just switched from EON to EDF on a fixed rate thru March 2015. Looks like a 120 per year saving. Have your full year kilowatt hours ready for both gas and electricity readings. Well worth doing.

Quote: I hope I have got this wrong, and it no use switching because they all follow each other.

It is worth switching but you have to do your homework, give it a try.......

Last Modified By collywobles at 21 Oct 2013 - 2:47 PM
BobbieBoy
BobbieBoy  8 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2013 - 4:15 PM

I used to be like you - resigned to increased charges, but its worth doing as recommended and going on comparison sites and/or fixed rate tariffs. if you put up with it - they get away with it. Let them lose customers then they will see we (customers) are not a push over. They have no loyalty so why should we?

LesJD
LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
21 Oct 2013 - 4:29 PM

I'm with British Gas, just had a quote from EDF regarding a fixed tariff......no saving,in fact a few quid dearer Sad Need to start switching off one hour earlier each evening methinks.

Last Modified By LesJD at 21 Oct 2013 - 4:32 PM
StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 4:55 PM

The Big 6 will likely follow each other over the price increases, but the competitive market has seen quite a few new entrants over the last few years. The smaller suppliers will be keen to exploit the price increases of the big six (unless a certain political party implements a price cap that puts them out of business and forces all to use one of the six). As others have said, either switch to a fixed tariff (you can do this with your existing supplier and sometimes still save money) or switch to a cheaper supplier.

puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 5:45 PM

Why not come and live in Tenerife? I live on the West coast, in Puerto Santiago and have NEVER had any type of heating on in 8 years!!! WinkTongue No, I don't sit here with my coat on either! Tongue Bills out here are also a fraction of the UK prices. Anyone who has retired should seriously consider moving abroad, where the cost of living is far cheaper. A litre of diesel here is around 1.00 and 95 octane 1.05. A litre bottle of gin around 11. Your shopping basket is also cheaper here. Eating out is also cheaper. You will also be able to register with a local NHS doctor. There's plenty of Brits live out here, so you'll never find yourself sat on your own. The weather is amazing and you'll find it is very rare that it will keep you indoors, so you can virtually get out every day with your camera. If you enjoy getting out and about, you'll find something to do. Bowls, tennis, golf, fishing, dancing, football etc. Don't worry, as you can also get English TV as well as Sky TV. Rent an apartment for 3 months and see how you get on. If you like it, then consider making a permanent move or maybe just stay over the winter months.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 6:22 PM

My sons wages have to come from somewhere Smile

I`m currently with Southern Electric and would change supplier tomorrow if I could, but I`m not sure if you can transfer debt Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 6:37 PM

Quote: I'm with British Gas, just had a quote from EDF regarding a fixed tariff......no saving,in fact a few quid dearer Sad Need to start switching off one hour earlier each evening methinks.

I' m with British Gas and every year I check all the deals around.

With there just being 2 of us in the house, which is well insulated and with us being pretty frugal with the heating, the best saving I've been able to find so far was around 60, so long as we agreed to let them estimate the monthly payments we would have to make via direct debit. From memory, I think they could also raid our account by up to 1000 or so (by over-estimation of our usage) before we could claim back our money

I basically told them to get stuffed and have remained with BG, at least I know the tricks they can get up to Tongue

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 7:26 PM

You wont get a true comparison until they have all pushed their tariffs up.
Send them readings every month which solves the over/under estimates.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 8:00 PM

Quote: You wont get a true comparison until they have all pushed their tariffs up.

True, however having recently been looking myself there are one or two good Fixed Tariffs to be looked at........Unfortunately for me I'm in the middle of a potential house move and because of the remoteness of the new home were looking to purchase it looks like I'm having switch over to tanked propane as there is no mains gas connection.......but that's the price you pay for bliss and peace & quiet! Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 8:10 PM

Quote: You wont get a true comparison until they have all pushed their tariffs up.

Possibly, but we've just moved to a fixed tariff that saves us 600 a year. Unless power costs drop dramatically we are unlikely to lose out and as there are no fees for moving somewhere else we can just move again if need be.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 8:29 PM

Quote: Possibly, but we've just moved to a fixed tariff that saves us 600 a year

that's for a combined power supply I guess?

It would represent around 40% of my combined tariff and nearly the entire cost of my annual gas supply!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2013 - 8:40 PM

Living alone and being out at work 5 days a week means my total bill for both electric & gas for the last year came to 402.83 Smile

When various companies used to come knocking at the door trying to get me to change to them I just showed them my latest bill and they agreed that there really wasn't any point in changing Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.