Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

British Gas

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Evertonian
23 Oct 2013 - 10:47 AM

The real answer is get out of the corrupt EU. Then hopefully we can save loads of money as long as we have a government which will reverse all green taxes and all green targets.

It is the targets that are causing us to close our coal fired power stations, but our government that seems to be over keen on such European suggestions. No other country seems to be as bothered as we are about 'global warming' which having been discredited is now called 'climate change'. We need to keep all our generating facilities until we have the replacements ready and fired up. As for guaranteeing the price for nuclear energy at double today's prices, what a windfall for the foreign owners of our new Nuclear power station down in Cornwall, due for 2025 is it?

So green taxes of all our fuel, holiday flights, gas and electricity bills, but we give donations to those who use inadequate and inefficient wind farms and solar panels. For heavens sake, if they save as much as the Lib Dems tell us, then no subsidies are needed!

Our country is going crazy.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2013 - 10:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
23 Oct 2013 - 1:19 PM

Quote: but our government that seems to be over keen on such European suggestions

So it's hard to see how leaving the EU would make much difference.
Generally speaking, the British public do seem to support green policies, and successive British governments have had their own reasons to do so.
That might change of course, but green ideas are so nice, it will be difficult to get the voters away from them, even if the government is determined to change.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-attitudes-tracking-survey-wave...

Quote: No other country seems to be as bothered as we are about 'global warming'

Germany has gone for it big time, with peculiar results, and some odd controversies cropping up internally.
Energy is more expensive for the poor, they're using more coal, CO2 emissions are up. They're arguably way ahead of the British on the craziness scale.

Quote: which having been discredited is now called 'climate change'.

Well, the IPCC have scaled back their predictions and statements quite extensively, but that message doesn't seem to be getting through.

Evertonian
23 Oct 2013 - 2:11 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking, the British public do seem to support green policies.

That really is a sweeping statement to make and also, in my opinion, quite untrue.

It was OK at one time for those who were not scientifically orientated to support green policies. Those who were, always realised the fallacy that was being propounded. Now I would guess that a majority of the electorate would wish to get rid of green taxes, particularly now that they know how it affects their energy bills, their foreign holidays and the cost of motoring.

keith selmes
23 Oct 2013 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Generally speaking, the British public do seem to support green policies.

That really is a sweeping statement to make and also, in my opinion, quite untrue.

My own experience is, if I express an opinion even mildly divergent from the curent political correctness about global warming and renewable energy sources, I get a negative response, and probably quite an emotional one. But I checked to see if this is generally true, and the link I gave leads to recent survey results.
It shows a good majority believeing that agw is real, and that green policies will benefit the UK.

Quote: now that they know how it affects their energy bills

I'm not sure that has really got through yet. People can be aware of the problem, but assume a different reason. e.g. that we haven't built enough renewable projects, or we're using too much energy.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 5:51 PM

The Government can, if they wish, reduce the energy bills by 5% at a stroke, by cutting VAT on home supplies of energy. (I always thought it was a unjustified tax on an essential product in the first place)

As for John Major's idea for a "Windfall Tax" on the profits of the energy companies, its bonkers. Their profits are marginal to say the least, yes they are big sums of money but then they invest large sums of money to earn it.

Quote: Ofgem's report, the Retail Market Review, has shown that energy companies have on average made only 1.6 per cent profit on supplying customers since 2005,

from here but of course the media would rather you believe

Quote: Energy company profits rise 74 per cent in 48 months

from here

this article makes interesting reading as it presents a business view as apposed to a Political or Media Story view

Compare the energy company profits, which aim for 5% with these figures based on other parts of the UK business fields
Quote:
Profitability of UK Companies 2nd Quarter 2011
•Private Non-Financial Corporations net rate of return was 12.1 percent.
•Manufacturing companies’ net rate of return was 6.0 percent.
•Service companies’ net rate of return was 15.0 percent.
•The net rate of return of companies other than United Kingdom Continental Shelf (UKCS) companies is currently unavailable.
•The net rate of return of UKCS companies is currently unavailable.

If you screw the energy companies as the media and politicians would have us believe is justified they will go bust, then the energy supplies really will be up a mucky creek without a paddle

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 6:47 PM

Quote: The Government can, if they wish, reduce the energy bills by 5% at a stroke, by cutting VAT on home supplies of energy. (I always thought it was a unjustified tax on an essential product in the first place)

That's a good idea - yup completely unjustified for a "tax on luxuries".

Evertonian
24 Oct 2013 - 12:41 PM

Quote: The Government can, if they wish, reduce the energy bills by 5% at a stroke, by cutting VAT on home supplies of energy.

Unfortunately, as our government seems to be dogmatic in their adherence to EU Law, it cannot be accomplished.

The fact is the EU does not permit a lowering of VAT.

It was the EU which caused the increase from 5% some years ago. Heavens knows why, they seem to dream up these things apparently to ensure that every country obeys its dictats whatever they may entail.

I too would like to see them drop the VAT at a stroke. It can be done if we leave the corrupt EU at a stroke.

thewilliam
24 Oct 2013 - 10:42 PM

At one time we had a Commonwealth that functioned as a trade-friendly club until we dumped on them and joined the EU. New Zealand in particular suffered greatly until they found new markets for their agricultural produce. Does anyone really think that our old Commonwealth will want to take us back? If we leave the EU, we'll just lose the last of our "friends". I suppose we could ask to become the 51st state!

Evertonian
25 Oct 2013 - 9:43 AM

Quote: At one time we had a Commonwealth that functioned as a trade-friendly club until we dumped on them and joined the EU. New Zealand in particular suffered greatly until they found new markets for their agricultural produce. Does anyone really think that our old Commonwealth will want to take us back? If we leave the EU, we'll just lose the last of our "friends". I suppose we could ask to become the 51st state!

I thought our Commonwealth was still in place but with fewer members, in which case the 'taking back' is not an issue.

Our main trading partners once outside the EU will be the emerging nations like China and India, that can be seen now as trade has already started albeit in a small way.

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 9:52 AM

Quote:
I thought our Commonwealth was still in place but with fewer members, in which case the 'taking back' is not an issue.

'Taking back' is not an issue, but re-establishing trade links is. We have lost all those beneficial trading terms we had and we would now have to compete against established customers for their goods. Also, having lost most of our manufacturing capacity, our ability to develop trade 'bargaining' is greatly reduced.

Quote: Our main trading partners once outside the EU will be the emerging nations like China and India, that can be seen now as trade has already started albeit in a small way.

And the phrase 'in a small way' is the key one. Is it enough to offset the trade we do with EU? Or the loss in business with those countries (and Japan etc) who are in the UK as a stepping stone into EU and would likely rethink their position over time without that benefit? That is severely in doubt.
But t is clear from previous discussions you desire to leave EU overrides anything beyond a cursory consideration of this.

LesJD
LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
25 Oct 2013 - 12:50 PM

Just had another go today using uswitch. Got a fixed rate deal with Npower going from British gas who is my current supplier ( no pun intended) I started the process using the uswich site and the saving was initially 174 quid,which was great but I decided to phone Uswitch so that I could clarify a few details, somehow the saving became 303 quid which I accepted.However just before I could complete the transaction with a guy named Owen, I got cut off. I then rang back and got through to a different person and completed the deal. Five minutes later I received a phone call from Owen who was rather concerned,he thought something had happened to me and wanted to know if I was OK.What a nice thing to do,made my day. Smile

Last Modified By LesJD at 25 Oct 2013 - 12:52 PM
779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Oct 2013 - 6:09 PM

I've just had an email from British Gas saying they weren't going to apply the price increase to my bills for 6 months. No idea why. But hey, maybe so many people have left they are trying to keep a few of us!

Evertonian
26 Oct 2013 - 9:48 AM

I already have a fixed price contract with nPower until August 2014.
I saw a full page ad in the Express last week so I have just fixed it again until 2107 with only a 1% increase.

Worth fixing but of course at the end (2017) prices my take a leap. Meanwhile if the government does a massive U turn and drops VAT and green taxes, the contract is not binding and I can look a round again.

Seems to be a deal worth considering.

NB I have no connection at all with nPower.

thewilliam
26 Oct 2013 - 11:29 AM

I had a bad experience with a door-step canvasser from nPower.

The rotter forged my signature on the contract and it cost me considerable time and trouble to straighten things out. My complaint resulted in a paltry cheque to my favourite charity: nowhere near fair compensation for the hassle.

I shan't be dealing with them.

Chant57
Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 1:03 PM

I've just fixed my dual fuel tariff until dec 2017 and my monthly payments have dropped substantially , with no penalty if I subsequently decide to switch tariffs again before dec2017 or indeed switch supplier. Something I had been intending to look into but always out off - until I read this thread this morning.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.