Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

British Grand Prix Back at Silverstone!.

Wilmot 6 338 1 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2009 10:20AM
For certain!!
Donington have taken too long to get there circuit sorted out so the British GP is Back where it belongs!!!! Silverstone!
Grin Grin Grin Grin
Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
10 Oct 2009 4:57PM
I never thought for a minute Donnington would be ready
csurry
12 9.2k 92
10 Oct 2009 4:59PM
Phew!

That saves nightmare traffic around Donnington for us "locals" Grin
mohikan22 10 2.2k 1 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2009 5:34PM
good i prefer silverstone. a better track IMO.
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2009 8:56PM

Quote:so the British GP is Back where it belongs!!!!

Brands Hatch then Smile
Wilmot 6 338 1 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2009 10:02PM

Quote:Quote:so the British GP is Back where it belongs!!!!Brands Hatch then

lol.....
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
10 Oct 2009 10:12PM
Brooklands.
BernieS 6 243 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2009 8:25AM

Quote:For certain!!
Donington have taken too long to get there circuit sorted out so the British GP is Back where it belongs!!!! Silverstone!

Certainly we all hope that that will be the case - but what is your evidence for this statement?

Until God (aka Mr. Ecclestone) makes an announcement, all else is speculation ... ... ...
11 Oct 2009 9:58AM

Quote:Quote:For certain!!
Certainly we all hope that that will be the case - but what is your evidence for this statement?

Until God (aka Mr. Ecclestone) makes an announcement, all else is speculation ... ... ...

I was about to say that, they make their desision tomorow for definate.
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
11 Oct 2009 11:05AM
I heard that since Donington wasn't ready, Sillystone took a huff at being 2nd choice, so the GP will now be held at Knockhill Smile
(but only if they spend £40 to patch one of the potholes on the approach road to the circuit)
redstag e2
9 100 14 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2009 11:09AM
There seems to be a lot of politics involved at Donnington with the Wheatcrofts and local councils appearing to want to put spanners in the works at every step. For me, I'd like to see it at Donnington, it was good enough for the European Grandprix a few years ago, so why not.
Plus, with two Grand Prix circuits maybe Silverstone could bid for the European Grand Prix instead-how do they choose that venue?
Jon
BernieS 6 243 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2009 11:42AM
OK - just found this on the interweb, dated yesterday:

Damon Hill last night insisted Silverstone can save the British Grand Prix — but only if the circuit is awarded a multiple-year contract.

The fate of the race, which launched the modern World Championship 59 years ago, was cast into crisis yesterday by an all too predictable financial shortfall enveloping the development company of rivals Donington Park.

Simon Gillett, the CEO of Donington Venture Leisures Limited, has until tomorrow to prove he can raise £50million if he is to retain any hope of staging the British event on July 11.

Privately, the British Racing Drivers’ Club, who own Silverstone, are bewildered Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone granted a third extension to Donington’s original deadline of 30 September.

Even if Donington can produce the funds, there is little likelihood of them redeveloping the circuit to the demands of Ecclestone in just nine months. Hill, president of the BRDC, said: ‘We have always said we are ready and prepared to host next summer’s Grand Prix. But, frankly, in order to do this we would want a multi-year contract.

‘There has to be a real fear we could lose the race next year — and if it disappears for one year, who knows what could happen in the future.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1219491/Damon-Hill-tells-Bernie-Ecclestone-Silverstone-save-British-Grand-Prix.html#ixzz0Tceyptb3
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
11 Oct 2009 12:18PM
There is a rule that a country can only hold one Grand Prix a year. The European Grand Prix came about as a work around to this. It now appears to float around amongst countries where there is a commercial interest in holding two races, such as Germany in the Schumacher era, and now Spain with Alonso. (Other tricks include holding the Swiss Grand Prix at Dijon in France in 1982. Motorsport is illegal in Switzerland!)

Getting back to Silverstone, I did hear that Bernie's issue with Silverstone stems from a particular incident where a security guard made it quite difficult for him to enter when he didn't have his pass.

I think Hill is right to insist on a multi-year agreement if the BRDC save the Grand Prix. Even if Donnington get the £50m they need, I can't see it being ready in time. I went to the WSR event their in 2007 and the traffic was a mess. In contrast, I got from my door in MK to the centre of Silverstone in 30 minutes on Grand Prix Sunday back in 2006.

The problem I think will be that Bernie would be happier (and probably richer) by dropping it and awarding its place to another country.
Britman 8 1.7k England
11 Oct 2009 4:36PM
Yeah for Bernie no British GP would be great.

However he does have a point, the Government should really help more. The majority of races around the world have massive help from their respective Governments. Can you see the Italian Government just rolling over and allowing no GP to be hosted in Italy, I think not.
But hey our Government would rather see this multi billion dollar industry get shipped abroad.
You can count on one hand the teams that are not based here.
cathal 10 492 4 Ireland
11 Oct 2009 11:54PM
I don't think the fact that the majority of F1 teams and companies are based in Britain bears any relation to the hosting of a Grand Prix. That is down to the huge industry and skilled individuals based here. Many other motor sport categories use British produce despite not actually running here. Indycar, as an example, was until recently exclusively British. Even Penske, the only team to produce its own car, did so in Dorset.

I agree that other governments support their respective Grand Prix but with a limited budget I don't think there is any justifiable case for doing so when there are so many worthwhile and far more important projects crying out for cash. Formula One, the companies and teams associated with it, and many of the individuals associated with it have access to significant wealth and could do more if they wanted.

I'd like to see the GP back at Silverstone, for good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.