Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Broke CF contact pins on 350D

mwoods 10 20 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2012 7:49PM
Dear All,

Today I have mostly been being a pillock and have bent and then broken a CF pin on my 350D.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much this repair will be, please, and where it can be done?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Mark Woods.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 372 England
20 Feb 2012 8:14PM
Hi, this company are not to far from you and will give an estimate via email.

Hope this helps?
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
20 Feb 2012 9:25PM
Dear Mark Woods

By being a Pillock today which I hope you are generally not I feel you may have dealt a fatal blow to your 350d
The cost to repair may well be more than buying a replacement camera....
If you are an avid 350d user then why not have a look at a second hand 30d which is its big bro.

Please do try Mr ikett's advise above but be prepared for a nasty shockSad

I am sending a word to the big fella tonight in hope of a satisfactory solution...(I do have his mobile nmbr which I cant share)

Mr Lawbert
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
20 Feb 2012 10:00PM

Quote:Today I have mostly been being a pillock and have bent and then broken a CF pin on my 350D.

The prospect of doing that (I mean bending a pin, I'm already a pillock) is always at the back of my mind when I put a card into my camera.
I suppose there must be some advantage to be had by using CF over SD cards but I've used both and for the life of me, I can't see it.

Jester.
mwoods 10 20 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2012 11:54PM
Thanks to all of you...I have emailed Lehmann this afternoon after seeing another post on here, ikett but I'm expecting grave news...

To make matters worse I've only had it for a month! Second hand so sadly no warranty.

I will be looking for an adapter in future for an SD card or some other clever invention. Not impressed!

Nice to know there are sympathetic folk out there! Cheers, guys...
21 Feb 2012 7:53AM

Quote:I will be looking for an adapter in future for an SD card or some other clever invention.

I use an adapter which allows me to use SD cards in my CF camera but the problem of the pins hasn't gone away as I have to remove the adapter and either download from it as if it was a CF card, or remove the SD card from it and download from that.
The alternative, of course, is to download via USB, directly from the camera,although some people reckon that that might also be a bad idea.
Any thoughts regarding that anyone?
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 9:19AM
I have had no problems with CF cards, but have had 2 SD cards whose contacts have become unreliable despite careful handling.
It worries me that SD cars are becoming the norm in higher end cameras..despite the "pin" issue, CF cards appear to me to be more robust, though I may well be mistaken.

Downloading from camera seems to work but with my old D100 it is pretty slow, but a more recent model with high speed USB2 is probably OK. Though some people argue that the contacts are prone to wear.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2012 10:10AM
Downloading from the camera using EOS utilities is slower than using a card reader but I guess that if you do not have zillions of photos, or if you can do something else while it is downloading that should not be a problem.
One thing I have not tried is attaching the camera with USB and 'drag and drop' using the Windows (Mac?) explorer.
21 Feb 2012 1:58PM

Quote:One thing I have not tried is attaching the camera with USB and 'drag and drop' using the Windows

It takes about the same length of time as "send to" or "copy and paste." I suppose that really, they're all doing the same thing.
Someone did once mention that there's the possibility of your camera receiving a static charge back up the USB lead and that they weren't keen on USB for that reason, although I've never heard of that happening.
I've never tried it on a Mac.
bainsybike 5 276
21 Feb 2012 4:03PM
II think its safer to download directly from the camera. If the USB connector at the camera end goes wrong, you haven't disabled the camera and you can still revert to using a card reader.
kaybee 10 4.0k 24 Scotland
21 Feb 2012 6:00PM
You pays your money and you takes your chances .............. downloading direct from the camera is slower and drains the battery.
As regards the pins - none of the manufacturers (as far as I am aware) will cover damage to the pins under any warranty
21 Feb 2012 8:11PM

Quote:You pays your money and you takes your chances .............. downloading direct from the camera is slower and drains the battery.

I think the time it takes to download might vary as I can't say that it takes any longer with any of the cameras that I use.
You're right about the battery though. I have a mains adapter which runs the camera during downloads, in fact it runs the camera for as long as it's plugged in, Handy for slideshows on the telly.
Actually, that might explain the speed of the downloads as well.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2012 8:38AM
I would also say direct connecting camera to computer also opens risk of supply transient on PC taking out the camera. it is a risk question, I prefer to rotate the use of memory cards so I extend the life of the card and also there are times I change cards on a busy day. In what must be about 7 or more years of owning an SLR I have yet to have a problem with a card, if the pins break it tends to be because something is out of alignment.
22 Feb 2012 9:13AM

Quote:if the pins break it tends to be because something is out of alignment.

That's what I don't quite understand.
Putting the card into my camera, it seems to be such a snug fit, it's aligned in grooves and only mates with the pins when almost all of the card is firmly in place, so how does it become misaligned?
I was assisting a photographer at a school proms night once when a pin in his card reader somehow became bent, yet all of the above still applied.
I'm not sure how likely it is that a pin could become damaged but threads like this one aren't that uncommon.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2012 1:54PM
If you have a miss-aligned card reader pin you can block/damage the memory card socket. Then on pushing the card into your camera you can damage the camera pin.

to be honest the SD memory card design looks less problematic from this stand point.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.