Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Broken SD Card

9 Feb 2012 8:15PM
Hi folks. Anyone know how I can retrieve images of a damaged SD card. Computer and external readers wont recognise it. Really important shoot of a children's nursery.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Feb 2012 8:36PM
When you say damaged, Are we talking physically, Or is it just that you can't access the images via the normal means.

Need to know so as to figure out what advise to give.....Wink
9 Feb 2012 8:50PM
Hey thanks for quick reply. Yep it's physically damaged. Card has had a slight kink in it for a while, across the middle and when I pushed it in the external reader it bent up at that weak spot. Although it will go into the reader slot on both the external card reader plugged into my laptop or the reader slot on my computer, neither computer will recognise itGrin
9 Feb 2012 10:15PM
Your looking at 120+ to recover commercially and could exceed 200.

Vensys in Manchester and Fields data recovery do a no win no fee option

Good luck

Bill
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Feb 2012 10:33PM

Quote:neither computer will recognise it

Well thats what I call game over, Especially if the ( what passes for circuit board ) is broken, I'd say your only hope is one of Bills recommendations, The no win no fee option is probably the fairest as they must try harder to make a buck.....!!!

A lesson learned the hard way, Never use memory cards that have been even slightly bent, There is always a good chance the silicon parts will crack.

Good luck.

Vensys here.

Fields Data here.
macroman 11 15.3k England
9 Feb 2012 11:05PM
Have you actully tried any recovery software to retrieve the data?
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
10 Feb 2012 8:23AM
I don't think recovery software can do anything if the computer won't even recognise the card.

Does beg the question, why do an important shoot with a card that "has had a slight kink in it for a while". They're only a few quid for high capacity new ones.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2012 9:12AM
Who's it made by? Some of them offer free technical support or software.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
10 Feb 2012 9:35AM

Quote:why do an important shoot with a card that "has had a slight kink in it for a while". They're only a few quid for high capacity new ones.

...good advice...first sign of trouble...bin it......shame the horse has bolted Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.