Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bronica ETRS - Lens question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Mar 2009 - 1:06 PM

Hi folks. I have recently bought a Brony ETRS with the std 75mm f2.8 lens. I need some advise on lenses - can anyone tell me the best wide-angle lens to look out for? The 75mm kicks my canon kit lens into next week (although thats not to hard lol!!)

Also - metering prisms for the ETRS. There are a few out there - is the AE-II any good, or would I be better off with a seperate light meter?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Mar 2009 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
    Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2009 - 1:26 PM

Hi Nigel, I'd go for the prism as it will put things right way up. With the waistlevel finder you'll get a backwards and upside down view when you turn the camera into portrait format, and the prism will really improve the handling in that situation. Caan't speak for which prism is best, though.

Last Modified By Snapper at 6 Mar 2009 - 1:26 PM
    spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2009 - 1:55 PM

Wide-angles to consider are the 50mm (similar to a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera) and a 40mm (similar to a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera). I've just bought a 40mm but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you what it's like. I also have a 60mm (35mm lens on 35mm camera). It's an excellent lens but it's only slightly wider than a 75mm (I've since sold my 75mm has there's little point in having both). The "PE" designated lenses are the most recent versions and are supposed to offer superior optical performance to the older lenses although having used both kinds I'm hard-pressed to tell the difference. The PE lenses also have the advantage of half click stop apertures.

I use the AE-II prism and find it very useful. AE-III has the advantage of spot-metering although some have complained that it makes the viewfinder darker but I can't vouch for this, having never used it.

If you do get a prism I'd suggest hanging-on to the waist-level finder has it can come in very handy for taking low-level photographs, although not having any metering means that a hand meter is required when using it.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96305 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2009 - 3:51 PM

Quote: I've just bought a 40mm

Brilliant Lens.. I've had mine for a year and is probably the one I use mostly these days for wide angle shots.
    The depth of field at wider apertures, say f11 allows faster shutter speeds which helps "freeze" any movement in flowers/ trees etc.

As for the 50mm, not used as much these days (see above) even though it is also an excellent lens but is the first one I bought when I moved up to MF 25 years ago so it stays in the backpack, mainly for sentimental reasons Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.