Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Brother

beeza410 e2
4 32 1 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2012 9:44PM
I may be suffering from delusions but I was thinking about getting an A3 printer scanner from the Brother range, it would be used for my photographic work mostly please discuss.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

canonfan46 e2
5 1.1k United Kingdom
12 Dec 2012 10:04PM
Hi, I got a Canon Pixma Pro9500 II to print my own A3's. I now use it for all my printing which thankfully is not a lot.

Ignoring the inital outlay, the running costs are really high. I cant say my printer is any more ink hungry than any other make, but it really does go through the cartridges.

Having said that, I am really pleased with the results I am getting and the convenience of instant printing.

The only advice I can offer is that you need to have enough demand for a A3 printer to make it financially viable.
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
12 Dec 2012 10:07PM
I've got a (now discontinued) DCP-6690CW. It has many excellent qualities:-

Third party ink cartridges are dirt cheap and because they are not chipped you don't have any compatibility problems. Ten cartridges (4 black; 2 cyan; 2 yellow; 2 magenta) cost a total of around 10 and last well.

The scanner; copier and all the feed mechanisms are excellent. Mine gets an absolute hammering and in the 2 years I have had it I have only had 2 or 3 paper jams. The scanner, in particular gets really well used and for my uses (scanning old magazine images) it performs faultlessly and integrates well with my various bits of image manipulation software (PSE, FastStone).

On the negative side I would say the photographic print output is nowhere near the standard you would need for exhibiting work. It is adequate for what I would call domestic consumption - printing out copies for family/friends etc. Don't get me wrong, for all other purposes such document printing, copying and scanning it is perfectly adequate. In my experience it seems robust and well made and is ideal for a home/office type set up.

However, I still use a Canon Pixma for printing out high quality copies of any photos I want.

HTH. Ewan
13 Dec 2012 12:09AM
I recently bought an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+ printer. About 200, inks are 25 for 2 sets from ink-1 and I got 100 sheets of glossy loose packed A3 paper for 14.50 through Amazon. Print quality is very good. ( I have a separate scanner, an Epson Perfection 3490 PHOTO) Works welll for me. Wink
13 Dec 2012 10:49AM
Canon / Epson or HP if you want the best in photographic quality prints.
As for the scanner end no idea.
beeza410 e2
4 32 1 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2013 4:40PM
I use a Brother MFC J5910DW (A3 printer, A4 scanner), so far no problems at all, as was mentioned cheap inks are available

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.