Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Brother

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    beeza410
    beeza410  432 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Dec 2012 - 9:44 PM

I may be suffering from delusions but I was thinking about getting an A3 printer scanner from the Brother range, it would be used for my photographic work mostly please discuss.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Dec 2012 - 9:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

canonfan46
    12 Dec 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi, I got a Canon Pixma Pro9500 II to print my own A3's. I now use it for all my printing which thankfully is not a lot.

Ignoring the inital outlay, the running costs are really high. I cant say my printer is any more ink hungry than any other make, but it really does go through the cartridges.

Having said that, I am really pleased with the results I am getting and the convenience of instant printing.

The only advice I can offer is that you need to have enough demand for a A3 printer to make it financially viable.

Last Modified By canonfan46 at 12 Dec 2012 - 10:04 PM
    Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Dec 2012 - 10:07 PM

I've got a (now discontinued) DCP-6690CW. It has many excellent qualities:-

Third party ink cartridges are dirt cheap and because they are not chipped you don't have any compatibility problems. Ten cartridges (4 black; 2 cyan; 2 yellow; 2 magenta) cost a total of around 10 and last well.

The scanner; copier and all the feed mechanisms are excellent. Mine gets an absolute hammering and in the 2 years I have had it I have only had 2 or 3 paper jams. The scanner, in particular gets really well used and for my uses (scanning old magazine images) it performs faultlessly and integrates well with my various bits of image manipulation software (PSE, FastStone).

On the negative side I would say the photographic print output is nowhere near the standard you would need for exhibiting work. It is adequate for what I would call domestic consumption - printing out copies for family/friends etc. Don't get me wrong, for all other purposes such document printing, copying and scanning it is perfectly adequate. In my experience it seems robust and well made and is ideal for a home/office type set up.

However, I still use a Canon Pixma for printing out high quality copies of any photos I want.

HTH. Ewan

bigalguitarpicker
    13 Dec 2012 - 12:09 AM

I recently bought an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+ printer. About 200, inks are 25 for 2 sets from ink-1 and I got 100 sheets of glossy loose packed A3 paper for 14.50 through Amazon. Print quality is very good. ( I have a separate scanner, an Epson Perfection 3490 PHOTO) Works welll for me. Wink

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2012 - 10:49 AM

Canon / Epson or HP if you want the best in photographic quality prints.
    As for the scanner end no idea.

beeza410
    beeza410  432 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Sep 2013 - 4:40 PM

I use a Brother MFC J5910DW (A3 printer, A4 scanner), so far no problems at all, as was mentioned cheap inks are available

Last Modified By beeza410 at 3 Sep 2013 - 4:42 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.