Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

BSOD - Help!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Oh FFS!
User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 10:13 AM

Quote: I see it all the time.

By default? Which ones?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Oct 2012 - 10:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3820 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Oct 2012 - 10:22 AM

Every Dell I've seen recently, nearly every RM I come across, a desktop and two laptops at home (laptops HP and Acer).

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 15 Oct 2012 - 10:22 AM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2012 - 10:26 AM

I have seen motherboard configured to autoboot from USB, but to cause a BSD you need windows to be running. If the drive is a corrupted or non-valid OS one it stops at a Bios screen or it skips back to the next drive in the list.

User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 11:12 AM

So you're claiming that every Dell that you've seen recently, by default, ignores the drive the operating system is installed on and wastes time looking at your external USB drive to see if you've installed Windows onto that instead! Rubbish!!

strawman
15 Oct 2012 - 11:16 AM

Sadly Chris I have seen that on Dell's. But going back to the original question, I would agree with your view that the BSD is generated by windows not the BIOS, so the main OS has started and is running prior to the problem.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2012 - 11:23 AM

Quote: I have seen motherboard configured to autoboot from USB, but to cause a BSD you need windows to be running. If the drive is a corrupted or non-valid OS one it stops at a Bios screen or it skips back to the next drive in the list.

Your quite right John, however if the drive is corrupt or it finds a non valid OS, you may still get a BSOD, it all depends on how far in got into loading the OS on that particular drive......It's rare, but I assure you it can and does happen and Dell machines are famous for it! Especially if the CMOS battery has gone flat and the BIOS then goes into it's default setting.

AdeGrin

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2012 - 11:43 AM

As an after thought that's just occurred to me a Rootkit/Bootkit Virus can also give you the dreaded BSOD on start up too.....I can't remember the particular virus name that I came across, but there are several that have the same effect and they can be incredibly destructive and difficult to remove.

Ade

User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 12:07 PM

Quote: I can't remember the particular virus name that I came across

Some amazing claims in this thread! None of them will turn out to be the cause of the OP's problem

Quote: Dell machines are famous for it!

Famous eh? Be very easy for you to find some links to back up claim then.... I won't hold my breath

Quote: it all depends on how far in got into loading the OS on that particular drive......It's rare

so now you're backtracking Ade, instead of repeating your previous claim that the BIOS is producing a BSOD when it can't find an operating system you've changed to say it has started to load one from that particular drive. Quite a u-turn!

You still get it wrong because you say that would be rare. It's not rare for BSOD to occur during loading of Windows that's when any updated drivers are first loaded!!

Why don't you admit you were wrong before and people were right to correct you? That no operating system means no BSOD. You can't have the latter without loading the former.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 15 Oct 2012 - 12:12 PM
Ade_Osman
15 Oct 2012 - 12:30 PM

Chris, why is it you're always so argumentative and always seem to know best?

I've already apologised if my message was misinterpreted, or didn't read quite as well as it should!

I'm not back tracking at all, all I'm trying to do is help with the original posters query, but no once again you pick apart everything that I have to say with nit comb......You would have us all believing black was white, because once again ChrisL knows best and is better than everyone else [abusivie comments removed by epz].....Because once again you have turned a thread into something of a personal vendetta.....Did you not read my last comment! There are all manner of different reasons why a BSOD can appear on start up!........And no you don't have to have a OS system installed for it too happen!!!.....[abusive comment removed by epz]

Ade Tongue

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 15 Oct 2012 - 6:02 PM
User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 12:39 PM

You need to calm down a bit Ade. Is strawman also waging a personal vendetta because he disagreed with you? I also disagreed just as strongly with oldbloke

Personal vendetta, how paranoid are you?

If you like, I'll pretend you're right about being able to get a BSOD from the BIOS when it can't find Windows? Would that help??

I'll also pretend that you're last comment about BSODs being rare during loading of Windows is correct? Would that help too?

I've not been abusive to you, but will report you for being abusive to me.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 15 Oct 2012 - 12:43 PM
strawman
15 Oct 2012 - 12:51 PM

Err guys I failed the UN test for peacekeepers, I think Chris has a fair point about an OS running to cause the BSD, but I can see Ade's point about the BIOS trying to run from an external disk and if it has a corrupt OS on it then and err Chris your response does look aggressive to me. So is it possible to shake hands and go back to giving the OP a couple of things to go look at to see if the problem can be solved.

Personally I am recovering from a bit of an accident, and perhaps I am looking at life differently from the past, but it is not worth it, and it does look like the two of you are converging on possible cause etc. So go on kiss and make up. No tongues mind and no I will not join in.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
15 Oct 2012 - 1:27 PM

Last few posts are deleted due to not being relevant to the thread. Please keep personal attacks off the forums and try to address difference of opinions without kicking the verbal sh*t out of each other.

Ade_Osman
15 Oct 2012 - 1:28 PM

GrinGrinGrinGrin

User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 1:50 PM

More like TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 7:45 PM

Pete,

I am really disappointed in your lack of IT skills.

Surely it should be possible for ePz to devise a protocol that would prevent Chris and Ade posting on the same thread.

(and I would be delirious if the same protocol prevented either of them posting on the same thread as me!)

Wink Smile Grin

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Oh FFS!