Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

BSOD - Help!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Oh FFS!
User_Removed
15 Oct 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: try to address difference of opinions without kicking the verbal sh*t out of each other.

I'll try.

Quote: This is why your getting the BSOD, the BIOS is trying to boot the machine from the external hard-drive, if there is no operating system such as Windows on it, then POST will fail and you get the Blue Screen!

Ade, with respect., that isn't why he is getting the BSOD. Without the operating system already loading there can't be a BSOD. This is also the view of manateevoyager and strawman. It's not just my personal viewpoint made just to wind you up. Nor did I follow you into this thread, you came in after I did.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Oct 2012 - 10:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 12:01 AM

It seems the best way to get a good old bit of aggro going is to post an IT question, seems much more effective than my ****wit creationist politician thread Grin

Last Modified By cambirder at 16 Oct 2012 - 12:01 AM
strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 12:16 AM

I do not think anyone could accuse god of creating MS windows or the BSD.

And on the 7th day he did rest and take it upon himself to browse the internet, when low a BSD came upon him. And for forty days and for forty nights the lord battled with his PC, through the registry hacks of hell, but still it refused his ministrations. And he was much offended and tore his cloke asunder and spake.

Henceforth a plague of virus will be unleashed upon your operating system, I am getting a Mac and I do not care if that forked tongues serpent put an apple from the tree of knowledge upon it. (some debate if its the tree of knowledge some believe the ancient Hebrew word of Google is correct)

So to this day apple users get a saintly glow of certainty in their strong belief that all is well .

It just does not translate well, or does it. After all Moses got lost in the desert so perhaps that was when Apple switched to their own mapping program. 40 days and 40 nights, if only they had bought a tom tom.

Last Modified By strawman at 16 Oct 2012 - 12:19 AM
cambirder
16 Oct 2012 - 12:38 AM

Well I'm staying out of that one and hiding behind my Linux machine Grin

pabloisme
pabloisme  3565 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 8:57 AM

I can see a fatwa started or what ever it is called soon (fat politician? well as I don't know what a "wa" is!)

a usb drive (OR any other unit) which, when installed WHICH has errors will cause a blue, the O/S looks for data on drives installed on an occasional basis, if it does NOT get the reply it wants it blues. windows has a small HIDDEN file on each drive you use which helps it remember it (using indexing?) as each drive has its own ID number.
NOTE: memory sticks are good at this!

but I reckon its updates not agreeing with the M/B or OS thereby causing the prob

MY solution is:
& the best way, IF you are using auto updates IS go back to the last GOOD working time, when all was well. run it just to check,

switch off auto updates to "ask" then check the updates muckysift wants to install one by one with the geek sites!
NOTE: IF you have a problem they will have found and sorted it by now! and listed the faulty update

if any sarky comments arrive, I will immediately respond with a E4 BLUE colour cast on all your images and yer underpants and you will have to answer to yer MUM!

cambirder
16 Oct 2012 - 10:38 AM

1-bsod.jpg

User_Removed
16 Oct 2012 - 11:26 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The above blue screen is obviously a hoax.

I have been pressing any key as instructed (the m key as it happens) but all it does is type lots of letters. It hasn't terminated the current thread as promised.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

User_Removed
16 Oct 2012 - 12:09 PM

You can clearly see that it comes from Windows not from the BIOS.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 1:11 PM

cmos-error.jpg

And this!.....Incidently, from a DELL machine.

Ade Wink

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 16 Oct 2012 - 1:19 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 1:25 PM

It actually caused by a rootkit virus similar to "Evil Maid Attack", in which a bootkit replaces the legitimate boot loader!.......Which by come strange coincidence in on a Dell Laptop I'm repairing for someone I know......The real drag is that I've had to flash the BIOS to repair it. Fell off the chair this morning when I switched the machine on.....Ho hum, all repaired now Smile

Ade

User_Removed
16 Oct 2012 - 1:28 PM

Ade, can you spot the differences between that screenshot you posted and a BSOD (as posted by Cambirder above)?

Ade_Osman
16 Oct 2012 - 2:14 PM

Yes and I'm not denying that 'most' BSOD are caused by windows X, all I'm saying is that Blue Screens are exclusive to windows or any other OS......But I've no wish to get into an argument once again, nor am I trying to prove you wrong. However, it would be gracious of you to accept that this is the case and that sometimes errors on boot up can bring about all manner of different behaviours and not always necessarily a black screen with white writing on similar to MSDOS or as this argument has carried on the BSOD!

AdeSmile

Ade_Osman
16 Oct 2012 - 2:23 PM

that should have read "are not exclusive to windows or any other OS".......Sorry it's been a long night again.

Ade

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  2725 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Oct 2012 - 2:55 PM

Actually, Ade, the term BSOD or Blue Screen of Death *is* generally accepted to refer exclusively to Microsoft OS Stop Error reports. As Wikipedia states:

"The Blue Screen of Death (also known as BSoD or Blue Screen Error), known officially as a Stop Error [1] or a bug check, is the error screen displayed by the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems upon encountering a critical error, of a non-recoverable nature, that causes the system to crash. The term is named after the color of the screen generated by the error."

While Wikipedia might not be your choice of authoritative reference, nevertheless it reflects reality in this instance. Other systems may display error reports with a blue background, but they are not BSODs.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 2:59 PM

When is a blue screen not a blue screen.....hmmm....

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Oh FFS!