Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

BSOD - Help!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Oh FFS!
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 3:16 PM

Ho humm......GrinGrinGrinGrin

I still stick by my answer to the original poster of this thread in that the BIOS needed to be checked to see if the external drives was trying to boot on the USB port. Maybe I didn't word it as well as I should have done, but I was tired at the time as I invariably am most of the time, but I was just trying to help as you do.

But as usual, and no one specific is to blame for this, other than me I guess, so keep your drawers on guys, the thread has gone way off topic from the original question posed....

Were all right in a roundabout way!......I say this, you say that. I punch you in the face, you kick me up the arse....Blah de blah de blah.....I blame the original poster for asking for a PC expert!........'KILL HIM'Tongue

A very tongue in cheek, but smiley happy person today Ade Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Oct 2012 - 3:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022899 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 3:25 PM

I just whacked my mouse with a hammer and now it doesn't work.

Q1 - do i need a new mouse or will it mend over-night?
Q2 - was a hammer what I should have chosen to right click with?

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Oct 2012 - 3:31 PM

If "wacking you mouse with a hammer" is a euphemism then I'm sure your mouse will be better after a good nights sleep Smile

scottishphototours

For everyone's info, this fault developed beyond a BSOD into a not booting fault.

Local IT guy has tested PSU ok, and reset BIOS but it still shuts down now when trying to boot. The Dell TS guy has told me its a motherboard fault and I'll need a new one.

Updates to follow....

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Oct 2012 - 5:23 PM

Oh well glad your on your way to getting it resolved......See, we were all wrong! Tongue

AdeWink

User_Removed
16 Oct 2012 - 5:30 PM

Quote: Actually, Ade, the term BSOD or Blue Screen of Death *is* generally accepted to refer exclusively to Microsoft OS Stop Error reports

That's my position too Ade.

I apologise for being aggressive and it was because I gave a few options as to possible faults then you said "This is why your getting the BSOD". Do you see how certain you sound and why that's annoying?

Three of us disagreed with you but you took personal issue with me because I've argued with you in the past and because I will argue strongly when I believe someone's advice is wrong and have a reputation for that. It wasn't personal. I love you.

Ade_Osman
16 Oct 2012 - 5:35 PM

Hey no worries I was having a bad day, we all get them.......I should be more careful and more awake when I write these things Tongue

Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned and I love you too, now gissa kiss you big tart!

Ade x

lemmy
lemmy  71814 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 - 2:10 PM

Quote: that should have read "are not exclusive to windows or any other OS

BSOD refers to the Windows disaster screen. We all know what it means and what it refers to and have for many years Sad

It is perfectly possible to be wrong about something and admit it. It is how we all learn. By not admitting it, we are saying we do not learn.

scottishphototours

New motherboard 180. Wwwwwwwwhhhhhaaattttt !!

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:55 PM

If the computer is a few years old you will also need to upgrade other bits and pieces as well - that is when I decided to get a new computer after my motherboard blew up.

lemmy
lemmy  71814 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 - 4:15 PM

Quote: that is when I decided to get a new computer after my motherboard blew up

Yes and if you already have a decent monitor, a new machine soon becomes the more sensible option. And usually you can use some parts from the old one such as HD for extra storage and any peripherals you have.

User_Removed
17 Oct 2012 - 6:50 PM

Quote: New motherboard 180

Crazy price I reckon. Probably includes some labour?

For less than that you could get a bundle that gives you an Fx4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz CPU an Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard and 8GB DDR3 RAM!!

Show your supplier that.

Plenty of others too like these CPU and Mobo bundles

scottishphototours

The computer is just over 2 years old, fully specc'd and with an i7 processor and windows 7 Pro - so need to change!

The price is steep, but a drop in the ocean given the work it's done in its lifetime. The business can pay for it!!

monstersnowman
17 Oct 2012 - 10:33 PM

I've had this ... The tech support said (paraphrasing here) that the computer is for some reason confused into booting from the wrong drives where the OS is not present ... It came up with a BSOD .... the support just asked I I had an ext drive attached and if so to disconnect it before booting up. Job sorted. Maybe it would be nice to top this happening though. It doesn't seem to happen on my current pc at present as I am sure I occasionally boot up with the ext drive attached and turned on but it has happened in the past on others.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 11:14 PM

As I understand it you can stop it happening by assigning the order in which it looks through various discs to find the boot program (I think this has been mentioned before).

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Oh FFS!