Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

BSOD - Help!!

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Oh FFS!

strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2012 12:18AM
If you go into the bios you can set the boot order so you can tell it to look for the internal drive before DVD or external drive etc. But only do it if you feel confident you know what you are doing. Generally at power up you will see

Press [key] to enter bios set up.

You have to be quick on modern computers.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
18 Oct 2012 12:20PM
Thnx for the bios advice Smile
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2012 4:49PM
Point of order, and why there were arguments before, it couldn't have been a proper BSOD , but a black screen or other error.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
18 Oct 2012 9:10PM

Quote:Point of order, and why there were arguments before, it couldn't have been a proper BSOD, but a black screen or other error.

Or a bleedin' Dell machine.......But I won't go there other than to say I have an engineer coming tomorrow to fit a new motherboard into a brand new laptop!

A thoroughly stressed out Ade Sad
uggyy 9 2.1k 9 Scotland
18 Oct 2012 11:44PM
Good luck Andy... If you need any help give us a call bro.

Enjoying the banter... BSOD are fun !
jayx90 3 8 Australia
19 Oct 2012 2:49AM
check your RAM! take 1 out if you have 2 slots of RAM
scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
19 Oct 2012 3:59PM
So, called Dell tuesday and ordered a maotherboard at 180. Shipped Tuesday as it was in stock and due Thursday. Courier called Thu to say that Dell does not have item in stock and that they wouldn't be delivering it. Severly hacked off.

Called Dell today, part due back in stock next Tue and they will send it right out - aye RIGHT!!!!

The plot thickens. I hate computers... Sad

PS - yep, memory checked one module at a time too... thx...
pabloisme 4 566 England
24 Oct 2012 9:12AM
a FLAMER?

Quote:Quote: You're still wrong.

I've yet to see a motherboard that by default will try to boot from an external USB drive before trying internal hard drives and optical drives.

I use a linux stick that I boot on many failing PC's, ON modern MB's you can maybe from five years ago maybe longer
I have done it with several flavours of windows,

try using giggle or bing to check silly outrageous incorrect comments first It will gain you credibility
this search was taken verbatim from your posting / comment do have a look! no need to apologise 8-P

http://www.bing.com/search?q=motherboard+that+by+default+will+try+to+boot+from+an+external+USB+drive&qs=n&form=QBLH&filt=all&pq=motherboard+that+by+default+will+try+to+boot+from+an+external+usb+drive&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

or are you just trying to get a response?
I only comment IF I can help (with my 30 plus years of computing, and now doing PC SUPPORT)
so perhaps I am wasting my time?

first link is

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflash.htm

wanna ZX81?
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Oct 2012 12:04PM
You can set any motherboard to boot by default from any bootable device you have. In the BIOS when they arrive, motherboards are set to boot from the system HD, normally C: or from the DVDS/ CD drive.

There's no argument about that, is there?
oldblokeh 3 920 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2012 12:08PM

Quote:You can set any motherboard to boot by default from any bootable device you have. In the BIOS when they arrive, motherboards are set to boot from the system HD, normally C: or from the DVDS/ CD drive.

There's no argument about that, is there?

Yes, there is. Many motherboards, at least as installed in systems supplied by both RM and Dell, have USB as higher boot priority than HD. It's a perennial problem at my workplace.
24 Oct 2012 12:20PM

Quote:It's a perennial problem at my workplace

Dell's must be very strange machines then. Normally if the machine doesn't find an operating system on a USB/ DVD/ external drive, whatever is set to the first priority, it automatically goes to the next in the priority list and assuming it finds an OS there, boots from that.

My machine has 4 options in the BIOS for booting. I set it to first try HD, 2nd to DVD, 3rd to USB and 4th to external disk. It will go through those until it finds an OS, so it hardly matters what it defaults to anyway.

I can't see why Dell defaulting to USB (what an odd and unhelpful thing to do) should be a problem for a business. To go in to the BIOS on boot and set it to HD priority takes no more than 20 seconds.
24 Oct 2012 12:28PM
What happens is that a luser leaves a memory stick in the slot, the machine fails to boot and the luser comes wailing. Depends what's on the stick and how it's formatted is my guess. The priorities get changed when it happens. As far as defaulting to USB is concerned, optical drives will soon be a thing of the past. USB sticks are a commonly used way of installing other OSes and Dell in particular are known to be very Linux friendly.
24 Oct 2012 12:35PM
The machine is supposed to look to the next priority for boot if it doesn't find an OS on the first priority.

The machine would only fail to boot if the USB contained a corrupted or faulty OS and it halted during OS loading. If people in your workplace are putting USBs with OSs (corrupt ones, at that) on them your problems are not OS boot priorities, they are worker training and discipline ones Sad
24 Oct 2012 12:37PM

Quote:The machine is supposed to look to the next priority for boot if it doesn't find an OS on the first priority.

The machine would only fail to boot if the USB contained a corrupted or faulty OS and it halted during OS loading. If people in your workplace are putting USBs with OSs (corrupt ones, at that) on them your problems are not OS boot priorities, they are worker training and discipline ones Sad

I'll correct your statement: The machine should only fail to boot if the USB contained a corrupted or faulty OS and it halted during OS loading.
24 Oct 2012 12:57PM

Quote: The machine should only fail to boot if the USB contained a corrupted or faulty OS and it halted during OS loading.

Looks like your computer suppliers are giving you faulty machines then. New supplier called for, I'd say. Your problems are a for the supplier to sort, not the end user or their tech support.

A motherboard that does not operate to spec is certain to give other faults later on.