Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

BT Infinity

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
6 Feb 2013 - 4:02 PM

Despite having been thoroughly satisfied with the superb service I have received from UK Online, which was taken over by Tiscali, which was then taken over by TalkTalk for the past 18 years or so, I am tempted to go back to BT - partly by their offer of 6 months free and partly by the prospect of their superfast Infinity broadband service which they say will be available in my area in a couple of months.

Does anyone who already has Infinity have a view on how much faster it really is, compared to the standard 15Mbps service I am currently enjoying? I know what the figures say, but how meaningful is it in practical terms?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2013 - 4:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:05 PM

A lot depends upon how you use your internet connection. If you are really getting 15mbps you are already doing better than a lot of people.

If you watch on demand TV (eg iPlayer or the online film services) or regularly download large files then Infinity could be of interest to you. Similarly, if Infinity offers you much better upload speeds and you regularly upload large image files (for example) it could be worth a punt. However, if you don't have any problems with the speed of your connection you may find Infinity works out more expensive without any significant benefit.

Ian

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022908 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:20 PM

75Mbps in and 25Mbps up.

Makes a huge difference, especially if you use Streaming TV and HD movies etc.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:23 PM

I have infinity 2, with 4 people in the house, kids streaming youtube constantly, wife on love film and me leeching the life out of it. Works perfectly for the demands my family puts on it. Now if it was just me and the wife I would have been happy to stay with my old 6mbps service. One thing to consider is going for the unlimted option as 40gigs is easy to eat in an hour. Also note they filter peer to peer weekdays from 6pm till about 1am and all weekend and i mean 56k modem speeds.
Also the HH3 they supply is locked down tighter than an apple product, so connecting to it from outside the network wont work and requires a modem from another manufacture.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 6 Feb 2013 - 4:51 PM
cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
6 Feb 2013 - 4:30 PM

I got a 7 fold increase in speed from 10 to 70Mb, although currently I'm running at half that as I seem to have a line fault that is also giving me a lot of noise on voice calls (reported yesterday). Upload speeds of around 15Mb which is a 10 fold increase on previous performance.

versa310
versa310  3319 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 4:33 PM

Does anyone who already has Infinity have a view on how much faster it really is, compared to the standard 15Mbps service I am currently enjoying? I know what the figures say, but how meaningful is it in practical terms?

15Mbps! What a luxury I can only get 4.25Mbps with little prospect of improvement in the near future!
good old BT.

mikehit
mikehit  56311 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:41 PM

We went to infinity about a month ago. I haven't noticed a significant difference, but then I dont do online gaming or streaming movies. It does seem more stable than before and I guess you could say that is better due to the line capacity.
The price difference for us was 1 per month. If it had been 10 or so we would not have bothered.

puertouk
puertouk  21065 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:48 PM

We're still using smoke signals out here on Tenerife!! Tongue

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 5:00 PM

imuse infinity and wouldn't be without it it is so very fsst

thewilliam
6 Feb 2013 - 5:05 PM

Beware of the magic words "up to" attached to the speed figure.

We have "up to 10Meg" which runs at 1.2Meg at best and about 120k when the kids arrive home from school. It's "business broadband" from BT and it was sold as having a better contention ratio than "home". I really pity those punters!

We've found BT customer "service" to be a total nightmare.

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Feb 2013 - 5:09 PM

BT's Infinity service is a very good product, before buying though you should check your postcode on their site to ensure your going to get a significant increase in bandwidth. A lot of the time you will but there are exceptions.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
6 Feb 2013 - 5:23 PM

Having mine installed in a couple of weeks, although I'm sticking with Plusnet, not moving to BT. I worked out all the costs per month and BT worked out very slightly more expensive, and so I couldn't be bothered switching, particularly since Plusnet host one of my websites as part of my package.
I live a fair distance from the cabinet, so they reckon I'll get 56Mb, whereas I get 8.5 at the moment.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 7:54 PM

My previous comment has disappeared?Sad

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 8:38 PM

Here goes
A repost of what I posted earlier

Quote:
their superfast Infinity broadband service which they say will be available in my area in a couple of months.

The same as we were told and the main reason we switched providers back to BT

Guess what? - every cabinet in our area has been upgraded apart from oursSad

I have had our MP on the case and others but BT will not budge - they state that to upgrade our cabinet is not financially viable

Tried to point out to them, that out cabinet serves an area that is NOT served by cable

No one I know up the road is interested in BT - they have Virgin

User_Removed
6 Feb 2013 - 9:20 PM

65Mb bandwidth and 18Mb 'upload' speed.

To see a download come in at 5+Mbit/sec instead of 400+kilobits/sec is AWESOME. (download server speed-dependent.. Wink)

And we save 8/month... Wink

Go for it.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Feb 2013 - 9:21 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.