Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

BT Phishing Scam.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
1 Oct 2012 - 11:11 PM

Received this today, I had to think twice as I have only recently paid my latest bill. Sad

Dear Customer,

This e-mail has been sent to you by BT Internet to inform you that we were unable to process your most recent payment of bill. This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information. (eg: billing address, phone)
2. Submitting incorrect information during bill payment process.

Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today by clicking here. (link removed)

If you have already confirmed your billing information then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
BT
Billing Department

Thanks for your co-operation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So BEWARE folks. Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Oct 2012 - 11:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
2 Oct 2012 - 1:25 PM

I've had emails "from BT" telling me that my email limit has been reached and I need to click a link to unblock it.

collywobles
2 Oct 2012 - 3:59 PM

Quote: I had to think twice

Cant understand why you had to think twice - addressed to Dear Customer, signed BT Billing Dept - No name, No account reference number, click on link ---- err are you awake........

It amazes me that these type of scams have been doing the rounds in various form for now at least ten years - ..... and yet peope still "have to think twice"

On the BBC News recently a couple planned to buy an 'off plan' property in the Caribbean, and put down a huge deposit (40K I think). The Agents kept making excuses for years about building delays, legal issues, extra money for this and that, etc, etc, and in the end they gave up and lost what deposit they had put down. What is it that people cant see in these high risk scams. Off plan/Caribbean would have been enough for me.

I do feel sorry for people who do get scammed -- but hey come on guys!

Just a mo - just got an email from some Nigerian General offering me $50,000,000 for helping to place it in my account, now where did I put my bank details............................................. (8o)

Last Modified By collywobles at 2 Oct 2012 - 4:04 PM
Keebsuk
Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 - 4:44 PM

There are also similar emails doing the rounds purporting to be from the Halifax and Lloyd's Bank. Both contain very similar wording suggesting that they need to "amend our records" and providing a link.
I received the Lloyd's email yesterday, the link is for a suspended site hosted in Spain but I think that all these scam mails originate in Nigeria.

Unfortunately there will be some poor so and so who will be naive enough to provide what these scumbags are after and as such, these emails will continue.

Andy

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71139 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 - 8:00 PM

There is an ADP one doing the rounds too, 'unable to complete the recent electronic payment'. With a lovely link there for you to follow and complete the information to ensure the success of your transaction Grin

macroman
2 Oct 2012 - 8:48 PM

The dear customer is a giveaway. My delete finger is normally on 'auto'. Grin
I had my finger on the delete buttton and then remembered paying the latest BT bill a couple of days ago.
Did a quick check on my account and all was OK so continued with the delete.

The Halifax, Lloyds, Co-Op are filtered into a 'Cons' folder, as we don't have accounts with them.
Also I've been urged to update my Paypal account which I don't have.

And those strange ones from something called EPZ TV?? GrinGrinGrin

Last Modified By macroman at 2 Oct 2012 - 8:50 PM
KevSB
KevSB  101405 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 9:32 PM

Thanks macroman for bringing this to our attention, altho I don't use Bt and wouldn't fall for this one, its putting the warning out there that helps, the negative comments above are less than helpfull IF your warning stops one persona falling for it then its a good move.

macroman
5 Oct 2012 - 11:28 AM

Here's another one, should I reply or is it a scam? GrinGrin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BARRISTER JOHN ALBERT CHAMBERS
ADDRESS: MORLEY HOUSE, 26/30
HOLLBORN VIABULT
LONDON EC 1 A2BP, UK
TEL: +447024074946
NOTIFICATION OF BEQUEATH
I am Barrister John Albert, on behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the estate of Late
Mr. Harley Graham Wade, I am assigned to contact and notify you as my earlier letter was
returned undelivered.

Late Mr. Harley Graham Wade left the sum of Three million Great British Pounds
(3,5000,000.00 GBP) to you in a Bank account number:30207712320 with a Credit Suisse
Security Deposit Bank here in London, UK. In the codicil and last testament of his WILL
in my custody.

Until his death, he was a great philanthropy earned him numerous awards during his life
time. Late Mr. Harley Graham Wade died on the 13th day of December, 2009 at the age of

75 years,and his funds is now ready for execution. According to him this money is to
support humanitarian activities and to help the poor, the needy and destitute in our
society in your own way.

Please endeavor to get back to me as soon as possible if I reach you this time as I am
hopeful, to enable me conclude my job. By replying to this e-mail, you will have to
update the form below so that I can contact you and also send you the "DUE DILLIGENCE
CERTIFICATE APPLICATION FORM" Which you will have to fill and submit to the Security

Deposit Bank for claims.
1. Full Name: ____________________
2. Address: ______________________
3. Occupation: ___________________
4. Country of Residence: _________
5. Tel: __________________________
6. Age: __________________________
7. Nationality: __________________

This is my personal email contact address: ***********@yahoo.co.uk
Please get back to me as soon as you read this e-mail so that we can proceed further
with remittance to you. I hope to hear from you in no distant time.

Last Modified By macroman at 5 Oct 2012 - 11:30 AM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
5 Oct 2012 - 11:48 AM

Seems utterly convincing to me! What are you waiting for? WinkGrin

So many gems in that one: "Hollborn Viabult", "he was a great philanthropy", "Three million Great British Pounds (3,5000,000.00 GBP)", and of course the yahoo! email address adds that final note of authenticity.

What a coincidence that the deceased was apparently called "Late Mr. Harley Graham Wade"! Born to die, it seems.

Thanks for sharing. Smile

Last Modified By mdpontin at 5 Oct 2012 - 11:49 AM
macroman
5 Oct 2012 - 8:13 PM

3,5000,000.00 GBP, the misplaced comma would actually make it 35 million not 3 million.

I am still tempted GrinGrin

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2012 - 11:33 PM

I often have scam mail from various banks - but never masquerading as my own bank, oddly enough!

macroman
10 Oct 2012 - 3:55 PM

Ho, Ho.
From Microsoft???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've updated the Microsoft Services Agreement, which governs many of our online services - including your Microsoft account and many of our online products and services for consumers, such as Hotmail, SkyDrive, Bing, MSN, Office.com, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker, Windows Mail Desktop and Windows Writer.

Over the past days, we have sent notifications regarding your account suspension which many fails to update, However, failure to verify your records will result in account suspension. Click on the Verify button below and enter your login information on the following page to Confirm your records.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services!

Microsoft respects your privacy. Please read our online Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052

macroman
24 Oct 2012 - 11:45 AM

Here's another one, supposedly from a company called EFax corporate did a Google and it's a scam, apparently known as 'spear phishing', who dreams up these terms?Grin

Activate hyper delete button, Mr Worf. Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fax Message [Caller-ID: 166-214-4395]

You have received a 9 pages fax at Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:23:23 -0500.

* The reference number for this fax is [eFAX-6BFFE60521FBE8A7539279C5].

View attached fax using your PDF reader.

Please visit www.eFax ********* if you have any questions regarding this message or your service.

Thank you for using the eFax service! 2011 j2 Global Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
eFax is a registered trademark of j2 Global Communications, Inc.

This account is subject to the terms listed in the eFax Customer Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Modified By macroman at 24 Oct 2012 - 11:47 AM
peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123860 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 11:53 AM

I had one from "eFax Corporate" this morning; if in doubt over an email delete it, if you must investigate further just hover your cursor over the link but do NOT repeat NOT click and you will see that the w.w.w. address bears no relationship to the trumped up and fraudulent sender; junk it.

If you do click on the link it will lead you to a malicious web site that may well load malwear on to your system.

Peter

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104003 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 12:46 PM

Quote: I had one from "eFax Corporate" this morning; if in doubt over an email delete it, if you must investigate further just hover your cursor over the link but do NOT repeat NOT click and you will see that the w.w.w. address bears no relationship to the trumped up and fraudulent sender; junk it.

If you do click on the link it will lead you to a malicious web site that may well load malwear on to your system.

Peter

fortunately the gmail server stopped this one before it reached my inbox Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.