Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Buck or Stag, what's the difference?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MrGoatsmilk
    26 Oct 2010 - 11:14 AM

I had a comment on a shot stating that it's a Buck not a Stag, can someone explain what is the difference please?

I have searched online and get different answers, some say that they can be called either, some on the size of antlers and some go by bloodline.

Cheers for any help.

Stu

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Oct 2010 - 11:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
    26 Oct 2010 - 11:23 AM

I have always interperated it as in "a young buck" or a "Mature Stag"

Hence some women refer to young guys as a young buck as it only takes them 2 minutes................... Colin {8oP

KathyW
    KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2010 - 11:30 AM

Technically I suspect the terms are interchangeable, but usually a mature Red deer male is referred to as a stag, and the males of the smaller breeds are known as bucks. I think, that Red females are hinds, but others like Fallow are called does? The term "stag" is rarely used in the USA.

Edit - just had a look at your pic and it appears to be a Fallow deer (I think - don't know much about deer!) so would generally be called a buck.

Last Modified By KathyW at 26 Oct 2010 - 11:34 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    MrGoatsmilk
    26 Oct 2010 - 12:02 PM

They are all Fallow where I was as far as I'm aware, just wonder why he would be a Buck and not a Stag really, what points are different between the types.

Thanks

Stu

JohnParminter
    26 Oct 2010 - 12:06 PM

Stuart, if you photographed a Red Deer then the males are Stags or Harts, females Hinds, they are not referred to as bucks or does, this is for other types of deer such as Fallow etc.

I crossed your comment Stuart. It just depends on what species as to what they are referred to.

John

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 26 Oct 2010 - 12:07 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    MrGoatsmilk
    26 Oct 2010 - 12:08 PM

So only Red Deer can be called Stags, any other male deer would be a Buck.

I'm with you now.

Cheers

Stu

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    26 Oct 2010 - 1:48 PM

Quote: So only Red Deer can be called Stags, any other male deer would be a Buck

There is no such hard and fast rule.

MrGoatsmilk
    26 Oct 2010 - 1:50 PM

Quote: So only Red Deer can be called Stags, any other male deer would be a Buck

Damn, I knew it TongueTongueTongue

So how does it work then?

davidcollins
    davidcollins e2 Member 8103 forum postsdavidcollins vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2010 - 5:14 PM

and to add to the confusion a male elk is a bull and female a cowGrin

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    26 Oct 2010 - 5:29 PM

It is no different to local names for plants and animals, move from one area or country to another and the names change, which is why Latin is used to avoid confusion.

JohnParminter
    26 Oct 2010 - 5:37 PM

Indeed Paul, there are no rules but Stuart was wondering what the difference is between the term Stag and Buck. Male Red Deer are referred to as Stags, other species of common UK male deer are referred to as Bucks.

Its just terminology but the accepted normal reference for male Red Deer is " A Red stag" as opposed to "A Red buck".

You could call them as you wish, folk would still get your meaning, eventually.

MrGoatsmilk
    26 Oct 2010 - 7:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies, it makes sense now

Stu

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.